Opinion: liberal use of sequences make for tidier blueprints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion: liberal use of sequences make for tidier blueprints

I've recently started abusing sequences to break up simple but lengthy tasks. I find it causes blueprints to lose that weird overall snakey horizontal look they can have from time to time, and they totally avoid ugly go-back execution lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	1
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	1138153
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.png
Views:	1
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1138154

They totally make cleaning up and refactoring your *****
    I'm yet to see a single use for them
    7.14%
    They're OK but only when NECESSARY
    0.00%
    I use sequences when I have to
    14.29%
    Sequences, they are good. Use them freely
    64.29%
    I use nothing but sequences
    14.29%

I totally just missed the opportunity but I had a ugly untidied construction script and I sequenced it and it looks nice now. Shoulda done a before and after

Comment

Sequences and switches are where its at.
      Map Generator 1.0
      Map Generator 2.0
      Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Why didn't I think of this? Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Zeustiak View Post
          Sequences and switches are where its at.
          Yes! Although I have significantly less uses for switches. Although right this moment I have realised they would be excellent for adding debug lines that would be easy to turn off without resorting to ugly if statements

Sequences also solved the problem of wondering, what to do when only one execution line? I was dissapointed when I realised I couldn't split exec lines but now I realise I was foolish for thinking so, and sequences are the ideal solution.

All I wish is that I could "insert" an execution pin, and perhaps "turn off" execution lines.

Comment

Originally posted by HaxO View Post
            Why didn't I think of this? Great idea!
            You have no idea how happy this has made me.

Comment

For the goal of tidying up a blueprint, a downside of sequences is that it doesn't actually reduce your network size (still have a lot of panning and zooming to do), it just branches the execution tree around in different directions. Also I personally don't care for unnecessarily stepping back to the sequence node several times when blueprint debugging with breakpoints.

Instead of using sequences for tidying up a BP, I prefer to break a BP down into tidier and more manageable chunks into functions for each task within the BP. It helps design mostly straight, concise execution trees that are usually only half a dozen nodes long and no untidy variable wires crossing back and forth between every node. - Most of my blueprint bugs happen due to variable wiring crossing far across the network into wrong nodes (or missing the correct input) so I like to eliminate long wire spans.

Also you can select a group of nodes and "collapse" them, which organizationally acts like a function but is a unique, non-reusable portion of the network. This works great if you have a big variable wire chain like get>getelement>breakstruct>convert>multiply etc before inputting into an execute node.

... I still use sequences here and there though !
              Last edited by wes h; 09-06-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X