Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: Replicate movement along spline

Hi everyone,

I've been steady learning UE for the past two months now, and are getting along quite well with BP's.
    I've been tinkering with this for the last two weeks and finally got a working zipline setup using various tut's, and while it is working flawless server side, I just can't wrap my head around the logic getting it to work client side as well.
    I've tried numerous setups including casting to the bp basecharacter, which although jitterish, worked until the moment the server started interacting with the zipline. At that point client will just insta tp to server location.
    Looking into the content example and documentation didn't clarify what i can do to get this working using my existing setup.
    I'm happy to start over and build the zipline again, if i can get it to replicate using a more simple setup.
    Screenshots attached. Timeline component is replicated. Movement is not replicated in the zipline BP as it is done in the character BP.
    I'd really appreciate any help pointing me toward a solution.
    Thank you in advance.

It's too late and I'm too tired to look at your example in detail but here are some pointers:

1: To fully replicate custom events (RPC's) the server can just multicast. If you want to replicate an event from a client you first need to run a "RunOnServer" event that fires the multicast. this is because a multicast can only be run from the server. If you fire a multicast from a BP that is owned by a client, nothing will happen.
    2: When you need certain information always think about; who owns this BP? who set the variable? can this machine aquife the information it needs? is the variable properly replicated to whomever needs it? etc.
    3: Click on a node and hit F9, this add a break to it. Now run your program and the game will pause when it gets to that node, you can now check the incoming values, this way you can see why your character teleports to the server location.

Comment

Hey! Thank you for your pointers. I'm on the right track now.
      Will post once I get it working.

Comment

Working...
      X