Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlimited Slot Inventory

Hey Guys

Just hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I currently have an inventory and all works well. However it's limitation is it uses a fixed amount of slots. What I am looking for, is an idea how I would go about creating an inventory where the player can pick up as much as they want, however they are limited by weight, so once the weight limit is reached, they can no longer add anything to their inventory.

I have a weight system in place and works fine with the current inventory, however, I am looking for a system where (at the moment there are 25 slots) once they reach the slot limit currently in place, more are created as new items are added to the inventory.

Now I can simply change the 25 slot limit amount easily to 2000 for example which is more than enough for me, however, I don't want the player to see 2000 blank slots on startup. Preferably I would rather the inventory slots only show if they have something in them.

To create my inventory, I used this tutorial - https://youtu.be/yxqSkFNAzE0 by Ryan Laley

I'm just having a little trouble modifying it to suit my needs as mentioned above. If anyone has gone through this tutorial and has modified it to something similar as above, your help would be appreciated. Or even if you could point me to another tutorial which does something similar to what I am after, they would be awesome as I can't seem to find any.

I have purchased a few inventories off of the marketplace, but they can't be hard to make heads or tails of when it comes to modifying them to suit my needs.

Thanks.

I'm Newbie at blueprint but I will try my best to help you.

For your inventory system do you create your inventory slots dynamically? If that's the case, when picking up an item, check if inventory is full.
    If your inventory is full add more slots to your inventory and add the item to the newly created slot

For my inventory, I put my slots in a scroll box inside a uniform grid panel. That way I can set the row and column of each set

Here is a picture of my inventory screen

If the inventory is full when I grab an item, I will just run the same script again

Of course the blueprint would depend on your inventory structure and purpose
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NyxUlrich; 12-11-2018, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Hi Nyx, thanks for your reply.

The way my inventory works, is on creation 25 slots are created (this can be modified)

Now this was a fixed number, and inventory was full when all slots had something in them.

I've recently just done something similar to what you mentioned. Basically when the player picks up an item, I add one to the amount of slots available. I've also put this in a grid and scroll box so as it fills up, it will scroll. I've also made it so when an item from the inventory is used/dropped etc, i delete a slot from the inventory so player just doesn't have heaps of empty created slots.

I think I just need to modify it a little so instead of adding more slots when picking up an item, it will only add slots once the initial 25 slots are filled.

Thanks for you help. I also really like the look of your inventory, nice work.

You've given me some things to think about.

Comment

No worries, let me know how you go with it.

Comment

Working...
        X