Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a pawn slide or rotate further without physics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a pawn slide or rotate further without physics?

Hello everyone! I am trying to make a boat pawn move and I would like to stop
    a bit more smoothly and not step dead in it's track directly, i would like to achieve the same for rotation.

I tried using timelines and lerps but i got lost somewhere in the middle.
    I also tried physics and I found rotating a bit harder to achieve and in general i want to keep it as simple as possible.

I am setting the speed and the turn rate through a widget since later i would like to do it in vr.
    I have the basis of my blueprint in the picture and I am also checking if the speed isn't set to 0.
    Is there any way to achieve this without using physics?Any help is welcome!

You will need to VInterp/RInterp to targets. For instance, when you let off the forward button, you take your current position and calculate some drift distance ahead (use things like get forward vector*drift distance). You will now have your two vectors needed for the VInterp To node: Current and target. For delta time, just use World Delta Seconds. You will need to play with the interp speed until you get your desired effect.

RInterping is similar, you just need to calculate out angles that are beyond your stopping angle and then RInterp between them.
    Last edited by IronicParadox; 12-10-2018, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!I am currently giving it a go. Basically what i am doing is depending on my old speed (forward/backward) when my boat has 0 speed i try to offset it a bit with the nodes that you suggested.

Still not getting exactly what i want or sometimes i am getting weird results. Gonna post my progress a bit later!

Comment

Originally posted by Ameletiadis View Post
        Thanks for the reply!I am currently giving it a go. Basically what i am doing is depending on my old speed (forward/backward) when my boat has 0 speed i try to offset it a bit with the nodes that you suggested.

Still not getting exactly what i want or sometimes i am getting weird results. Gonna post my progress a bit later!
        You'll need to do some math to get your "drift targets" based on speed and such. I'm sure there are likely other ways to go about this as well.

Comment

Working...
        X