Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wall jumping (I'm this close to have it right)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wall jumping (I'm this close to have it right)

Hi,

I thought I had it right yesterday, but after some thorough testing, it's not quite it.

I made a scheme to represent the expected result and the unwanted result. There's also a link to a video of what I managed to achieve, but as you'll see there's a itch when I launch off the wall and it's quite obvious that I haven't done it right in my BP. Anybody would be willing to guide me on the right track? If you need more info, just ask,

Thank you!

EDIT 1:It has nothing to do with animation transition, the blend time is set to 0.
    EDIT 2: Updated the scheme
    EDIT 3: Uploaded a new attachment that shows what happens in the video.

https://youtu.be/j__v-hcHr1U
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pompompela; 08-27-2018, 08:06 AM.

I don't understand what is wrong. First of all why do you wall jump from the ground ? (fig 3 and 4)
    Also I don't understand why you'd want to wall jump "down" like in figure 2 ? Unless it's a specific game mechanic you want.

Can you post pictures of your bp's cuz it's hard to give answers without knowing what is going on

Comment

The figures represent the trajectory of the wall jump from a up top view, I put the axis at the bottom left corner to help understand better what it represent. I put a picture of the test room from the video in the same perspective as the figures to help you understand better.

I circled the nodes I think are at fault in red.

https://i.imgur.com/MACkOZ8.jpg (here's the wall jump BP, image was too big to attach)

EDIT: take a close look at the video (try playing it at 0.25 speed), at 00:09 when I land on the wall it's fine, but when I launch off the wall my character spin around for a fraction of second as if he'd launch towards the wall and just bounce off.
      Last edited by Pompompela; 08-27-2018, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Figure 4 from unwanted result was wrong, I corrected the scheme.

Comment

And yes, the video does not represent the scheme, the video shows how I worked it around, but my workaround is not the solution since it's merely a glitch.

Comment

This is what happens in the video.

Comment

Maybe i'm wrong but if your dirty hack works and causes no problem in the future I don't see why you need another solution.

Comment

I'm trying to clean it, that's the point :'D

Comment

Here, if I could get the angle value I think I could fix my problem.

EDIT: nvm that it wouldn't work, man I'm bad at math, that's why I use BP.
                  EDIT 2: WELL, it would work if the protractor was static to the world.
                  Last edited by Pompompela; 08-27-2018, 09:45 AM.

Comment

I got it working, I'll be posting the BP in a new topic soon enough.

Comment

Nvm, it doesn't work as intended, another road block. I'm giving up this mechanic. If someone find a way I'd appreciate otherwise it's pretty much dead for me.

Comment

If you give up you'll surely never get it working properly. And the problem does not come from being bad a maths or anything like that this is just poor excuses, even with a PHD in math you probably could not get it working on your first try and that's perfectly normal, the struggle is also the fun part and when you'll realize the solution you will just feel dumb.

I've had a problem in my project and I was in a situation like yours, I just thought it wasn't possible for me to achieve what I wanted to, so I asked for help on the forum (And I still do on too complex topics that's my mistake) but never got real answers, I looked on the internet but same and eventually after trying for days different solutions using small elements people gave me, that I found or that I tried, I realized that the solution was pretty dumb, and this is the case most of the times.

The thing is if you expect people to solve your problem you won't get anywhere, asking for help is great, don't get me wrong but no one can solve your game's problems simply because no one knows how it works as good as you do. People can give you clues on small parts of your problems but no one can solve it entierly. If you throw this mechanic because you can't get it to work then sorry to say that you'll probably throw 100% of the mechanic you want to implement in your game.

Comment

I did find someone that helped me figure out and it's working perfectly now, and no I didn't make him do the entire mechanic, I asked for relevant information which he gave me along some explanations on how it works.

In contrast, you've been of no help with your defeatist advices. You should really consider deleting your account if that's how you plan on helping people. Otherwise, if you go on a topic and don't know or don't understand how to help, DON'T HELP THEN, you're just wasting everyone's time. And you think it's not obvious that you're just trying to valorize yourself with your pretentious attitude. **** narcissist.

Comment

Working...
                          X