Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weighted Selection

Hi.

I've generated minerals on this asteroid (a struct)... What would I like to do is randomly pick 3 of those based on a weight. So, nickel is like 75% chance of being found, but platinum is like 2%. Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this?

teak

Last edited by teak421; 08-03-2018, 12:08 AM.
    "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
    -- Willy Wonka

Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.24 here.

When you say pick 3 based on weight, you must envision a scenario where nothing is found since 75% nickel + 3% gold + 2% platinum still gives you only 4/5 chances of finding something, right?

Unsure if it's 3 or up to 3. If one of the rolls in unsuccessful, should we keep trying?

I'd add the mineral ores' indexes to an array, shuffle it and then:

Get index 0,1, 2 -> check which mineral it is -> Random Bool With Weight (chance to find) gives you True / False

Comment

Originally posted by Everynone View Post
      When you say pick 3 based on weight, you must envision a scenario where nothing is found since 75% nickel + 3% gold + 2% platinum still gives you only 4/5 chances of finding something, right?

Unsure if it's 3 or up to 3. If one of the rolls in unsuccessful, should we keep trying?

I'd add the mineral ores' indexes to an array, shuffle it and then:

Get index 0,1, 2 -> check which mineral it is -> Random Bool With Weight (chance to find) gives you True / False
      That's true... Basically, there are three CHANCES to select the minerals... Doesn't mean it will be TRUE. Could be zero on the asteroid... unlikely but possible...

Thanks... I like it!

teak
      "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
      -- Willy Wonka

Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.24 here.

Comment

Working...
      X