Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to create instances?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    how to create instances?

    hi, i´m a complete noob in bp but i guess now it´s time to learn it....


    i´m using ue4.19.2 and i have an map in which i will create hundrets of some static meshes.


    for performance it´s not so good to duplicate them, so i decided to buy the "instance tool"- plugin from the marketplace.
    unfortunately it doesn´t work in my ue4.19.2-version...

    so i decided, to learn it with an tutorial...

    there are some at google (with tons of tweaking-stuff), which i do´nt need....

    so here is my question:
    can somebody give me an link to an tutorial, which dicribes the way of duplicating an static mesh 100(?) times or so?

    thanks a lot!

    greetz
    loopon

    #2
    The way I have done this is make a new actor blueprint, open it and add component and find instance static mesh. Then on static mesh find mesh you want then go to instance array below materials and click + button, this will give you one you can click for more and move them in blueprint. I use this to spawn towns and stuff as i can pre set them in the bp then spawn them in level when i need to. Hope it helps I have 1000's of meshes rendering this way and takes nothing from performance.

    Comment


      #3
      Instance Tool Plugin should works with 4.19?

      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.wmwjca3fjlc1
      https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by loopon View Post
        hi, i´m a complete noob in bp but i guess now it´s time to learn it....


        i´m using ue4.19.2 and i have an map in which i will create hundrets of some static meshes.


        for performance it´s not so good to duplicate them, so i decided to buy the "instance tool"- plugin from the marketplace.
        unfortunately it doesn´t work in my ue4.19.2-version...

        so i decided, to learn it with an tutorial...

        there are some at google (with tons of tweaking-stuff), which i do´nt need....

        so here is my question:
        can somebody give me an link to an tutorial, which dicribes the way of duplicating an static mesh 100(?) times or so?

        thanks a lot!

        greetz
        loopon
        Hi there,

        The Instance Tool works on 4.19 (I have the tool). However, its valuable to also know how to do it manually. However, here's the question - do you need to spawn the instances at runtime, or do you need to simply place them in your level?

        If you just need to place them, figure out the Instance Tool. If you need to spawn them during runtime, then do this via a BP.
        [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
        [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
        Join our Discord

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by OptimisticMonkey View Post
          Instance Tool Plugin should works with 4.19?

          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.wmwjca3fjlc1
          @OptimisticMonkey


          hi OptimisticMonkey!

          thanks for your fast reply!

          i´ve done everything:
          - i saw the vids (some parts are real fast)
          - read the documentation (thanks for the link!)

          and after all i tried my best in ue4.19.2 with the "instance tool" :

          - i took my hierarchy meshes and converted them into "actors" (hisma).

          - those actors are shown in my viewport properly!

          - but when i duplicate these actors, they are invisible in my viewport.....

          and thats not so good for me ;-)

          do you see, where my error could be?

          thanks :-)
          Last edited by loopon; 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post

            Hi there,

            The Instance Tool works on 4.19 (I have the tool). However, its valuable to also know how to do it manually. However, here's the question - do you need to spawn the instances at runtime, or do you need to simply place them in your level?

            If you just need to place them, figure out the Instance Tool. If you need to spawn them during runtime, then do this via a BP.
            @CoquiGames

            hi CoquiGames!

            thanks for your fast reply!

            i just want to simply place the instanced static meshes / actors into my map without bringing down my performance.


            that was the reason i bought "instance tool"

            i´ve done everything befor using it:

            - i saw the vids (some parts are real fast)
            - read the documentation

            and after all i tried my best in ue4.19.2 with the "instance tool" :

            - i took my hierarchy meshes and converted them into "actors" (hisma).

            - those actors are shown in my viewport properly!

            - but when i duplicate these actors, they are invisible in my viewport.....

            and thats not so good for me ;-)

            maybe you can give me an advice where my error could be?

            thanks :-)
            Last edited by loopon; 07-10-2018, 12:24 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by onimike View Post
              The way I have done this is make a new actor blueprint, open it and add component and find instance static mesh. Then on static mesh find mesh you want then go to instance array below materials and click + button, this will give you one you can click for more and move them in blueprint. I use this to spawn towns and stuff as i can pre set them in the bp then spawn them in level when i need to. Hope it helps I have 1000's of meshes rendering this way and takes nothing from performance.

              @onimike

              hi onimike,

              thanks for your fast reply!

              i will try to use your way...
              but i´m completely new to bp and so all this stuff is a little bit cryptical to me ;-)

              greetz
              Last edited by loopon; 07-10-2018, 12:23 PM.

              Comment


                #8
                hmmm not sure what would cause that.

                Are you duplicating by alt-dragging?

                https://www.casualdistractiongames.com

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by loopon View Post

                  @CoquiGames

                  hi CoquiGames!

                  thanks for your fast reply!

                  i just want to simply place the instanced static meshes / actors into my map without bringing down my performance.


                  that was the reason i bought "instance tool"

                  i´ve done everything befor using it:

                  - i saw the vids (some parts are real fast)
                  - read the documentation

                  and after all i tried my best in ue4.19.2 with the "instance tool" :

                  - i took my hierarchy meshes and converted them into "actors" (hisma).

                  - those actors are shown in my viewport properly!

                  - but when i duplicate these actors, they are invisible in my viewport.....

                  and thats not so good for me ;-)

                  maybe you can give me an advice where my error could be?

                  thanks :-)
                  Hi there,

                  I'm thinking maybe its the way you are converting your actors to HISM. Take a look at this video where I show how I use the Instance Tool to create a city. This was in 4.18, but workflow should be the same in 4.19. Can you do it my way? Or do you still have issues?


                  Go to the 3min mark!
                  [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
                  [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                  [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
                  Join our Discord

                  Comment


                    #10
                    @OptimisticMonkey

                    no...i´m doing it within the menue bar

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post

                      Hi there,

                      I'm thinking maybe its the way you are converting your actors to HISM. Take a look at this video where I show how I use the Instance Tool to create a city. This was in 4.18, but workflow should be the same in 4.19. Can you do it my way? Or do you still have issues?


                      Go to the 3min mark!
                      thank you very much CoquiGames for the link!!

                      you´ve done an amazing job with your tutorial:
                      i understand it now :-)

                      and the best of all: in your way it works :-)

                      All
                      thank you very much for your help!
                      this community is really great!
                      Last edited by loopon; 07-12-2018, 08:47 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by loopon View Post

                        thank you very much CoquiGames for the link!!

                        you´ve done an amazing job with your tutorial:
                        i understand it now :-)

                        and the best of all: in your way it works :-)

                        All
                        thank you very much for your help!
                        this community is really great!
                        Glad I was able to help
                        [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
                        [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
                        Join our Discord

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X