How to get a character to run through loops/up walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a character to run through loops/up walls

I have moved from the unreal answers fourm from someones request in order to continue my quest. As seen below, i am trying to get through the Vehicle example's loop as a pawn. It works fine until i get stuck on the straight wall bit of it. I have looked for ages to find a way to walk up it without messing up gravity, it being in c++, without using splines etc. Much thanks if you could help!

is this like what you are after?

CEO of Prydetech

https://www.artstation.com/ixicalibur

Originally posted by ixicalibur
    Here you go, this is a link to every tutorial you could ever need plus instructions to access all the collective knowledge of mankind: [Super massive awesome link that every amazing game developer uses to instantly learn to be super awesome at making stuff]

Comment

Yeah, something like that, with gravity pushing you down if your not fast enough, but I'll do that later. Just walking up and down walls would be fine, thanks! Although maybe i should stick to the ground judging on previous responses... (from unreal answers)

Comment

you could use this
        https://github.com/mhousse1247/UE4-CustomGravityPlugin
        and then just get the actor velocity, and when it reaches < say 10% of max speed set gravity to -Z
        CEO of Prydetech

Here you go, this is a link to every tutorial you could ever need plus instructions to access all the collective knowledge of mankind: [Super massive awesome link that every amazing game developer uses to instantly learn to be super awesome at making stuff]

Comment

I had a look at it, and tried to run the project to test it but got this error. I'm guessing its incompatible with 4.18? If so, which version SHOULD I use? I looked at the forum page and apparently it only works up to 1.14...

Comment

you have the source code right there...and the error literally tells you what you need to do lol. you need to build the plugin for the engine version you need it for. last time i used it was on 4.17.

quick edit: on the github page there is a link to the forum page that has a gumroad link to all pre compiled versions up to 4.19.
            so you don't have to do anything at all. just read.
            Last edited by ixicalibur; 06-20-2018, 12:04 AM.
            CEO of Prydetech

Comment

Would you trust me if I said I had dyslexia? haha

But yeah logic aint my strong suit. I had to get the latest version of unreal to get it to work, as well as some windows SDK.

Thank you!
              I found it earlier but did not realize that 0+ dollars meant it was free on gumroad... lol

Comment

Also, how would i do the get velocity? Would i add it, then do a break vector in order to use a < node? Or would i use the max speed node for that?

Comment

nps man i know what it's like having dyslexia. for velocity you can do: get velocity then vector length and that will return a float of your speed in cm/s
                  CEO of Prydetech

Comment

Alrighty. One more thing: When opening the third person bp (not the pawn bp, the character bp), The project crashes. same with a few other maps. any idea why?

Comment

Am i on the right track with the velocity thing? or for the % would i input my top speed?
                      (Yeah, so apparently its not just one more thing...)

Comment

YET ANOTHER THING, it only works on specified maps. Would this be in world settings? I've tried isolating objects and could not find the controller. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry for the bombardment. It seems I can walk up "straight" terrain walls, rather than slope. Is this just a plugin/engine issue?

Comment

Working...
                          X