Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actor reference with variables..

Hello i need some help here...
    I have several different actors that spawns 1 specific actor.
    From the spawned actor is it possible to get the variables from the different actors that are spawning without doing 20 or more casts? I tried set owner but it doesnt output any variables like it does with casting..

Thanks

Muntrax

Everyone's use case is different.... How many variables are we talking about?

1. If its just a select few, you could look at passing them in during the spawn by exposing variables on the Spawn Actor node.

2. You could also add them into a Globals BP-Function-Library using helper functions.

3. If there's too many you could embed them inside a Struct, give them their own BP, or use arrays (if they're of the same type). See if BP supports Array-of-structs...

4. At a more basic level, you could do all your Casting in Begin-Play and then just use local BP variables, so at least you don't have Cast nodes everywhere...

Comment

Not entierly sure what you mean but Google is my friend
      To make it clearer, I have actor 1, 2,3,4,5,6 wich are very different but they all spawn Actor 99.
      Inside the Actor99 blueprint i need to reference the actor that spawned me, and it could be Actor 1 to 6. And when i get the reference i want variables that are inside the spawner actor, for example actor 5.
      If something happens to actor 5 i want to update Actor99 that was spawned from actor 5 without having to cast-check every actor...

But I will look up what you said and see what it all means.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Muntrax

Google is your friend? Hardly... Try a privacy based web search engine (but NOT Startpage / DuckDuckGo)
        Startpage! .........

Ok, here's the thing. As soon as Actor99 needs to directly access vars from 1-6, you're into Casting. Two commonly used solutions to help are Interfaces and Event-Dispatchers. These are like adding options 5 and 6 to the list above. However, they'll both take some learning investment from you upfront, but it'll be worth it long-term. Both have pros / cons so take your time, as its a critical area! Can't recommend tutorials, just not a fan of any. Instead I always recommend deconstructing existing working projects, as its the most immediate and powerful learning there is in my view... Good Luck!
        Last edited by EntrpriseCustomr; 01-29-2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franktech View Post
          Muntrax

Google is your friend? Hardly... That's Startpage! .........

Ok, here's the thing. As soon as Actor99 needs to directly access vars from 1-6, you're into Casting. Two commonly used solutions to help are Interfaces and Event-Dispatchers. These are like adding options 5 and 6 to the list above. However, they'll both take some learning investment from you upfront, but it'll be worth it long-term. Both have pros / cons so take your time, as its a critical area! Can't recommend tutorials, just not a fan of any. Instead I always recommend deconstructing existing working projects, as its the most immediate and powerful learning there is in my view... Good Luck!
          Thanks alot for the help. I know them a bit but I will dig into it.
          Appreciate it.

Comment

For information, this was solved using a event dispatcher in the actor99 that called it. And then bind the event from the spawner actors. I set some booleans as input on the dispatcher. Thats all i needed, thanks again franktech

Comment

Working...
            X