[SOLVED] Timeline on Capsule Half Height float is stuttering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Timeline on Capsule Half Height float is stuttering

So, I made a crouch a long time ago, using Set Capsule Half Height, and followed a youtube tutorial. It works, except I've always noticed a strange stutter or framedrop on the way down.
    Turns out it's not a framedrop, I slowed down the timeline a lot and it does it constantly but only going downwards. I've print screened the blueprint nodes and submitted video for reference. Anyone knows what's going on and how I can fix it? And why is it smooth on the way back up?

I'm using 4.15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm8I...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ackehallgren; 04-28-2018, 11:08 AM.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother lerping it. Just do a hard switch from standing to crouching after the animation is past the halfway mark. I'd assume that changing the collision model probably has a non-trivial cost on the physics engine.

Comment

I don't think the physics system is prepared to deal with a capsule that is changing size every frame. Do as IronicParadox said and just switch the value once.

Comment

Alright, but then, since it's a first person view, the crouch also happen instantaneously. How would I go about getting a smooth transition? By moving the camera instead, or?

Comment

I've actually tried just lerping the camera now instead, but if I then switch the capsule half height, the camera gets pushed down in an instant to feet level. I'm really unsure of how to solve this right now.

Picture of blueprint submitted, and this is what happens in-game: https://youtu.be/jfAZpwpt5_k
          Attached Files
          Last edited by ackehallgren; 05-01-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

So I started up another first person project I've made, even using the same engine version, and there this doesn't happen. Does anyone know what could be causing this? And again, it only stutters when going down, never going back up.

Comment

SOLUTION:
              I had set Max Step Height to 0, which it apparently can't be for the transition to work properly.

Comment

Working...
              X