Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make Character walk speed different on X axis and Y axis (top-down view)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make Character walk speed different on X axis and Y axis (top-down view)

Hello everyone, hoping you can help me with this little problem.
    I have a Character Blueprint, i already set WASD input in input settings, and this is the blueprint:

What I'm trying to achieve:
    - Top-down camera
    - W and S moves player on X axis
    - A and D moves player on Y axis
    - X axis and Y axis movement must have different speeds, and I have to set them

And the last point is the problem. I've created 2 float variables to handle X and Y speed (XSpeed and YSpeed variables) and attached them like in the image.
    The problem:
    - If I use only one variable (example, XSpeed), it gets applied to both X and Y movement
    - If I use both variables, they get ignored totally and speed have whatever default value Unreal sets.

I think the problem lies in the "Set max walk speed" block, but I can't understand/didn't find what other block to use, or how to handle this logic.
    Doesn't help that I'm a total noob.

Could you help me with this? I know I'm missing something completely stupid.

It's because InputAxis works as EventTick, you should create one ActionMapping for W/S, and one for A/D, and have those events change Max Walk Speed on Pressed.

Comment

Where it says axis value on the event, try multiplying the green line coming off of it by a number like 0.5 before plugging the result of that into the movement node.
      My Game Frontier Devblog HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Orkney View Post
        Where it says axis value on the event, try multiplying the green line coming off of it by a number like 0.5 before plugging the result of that into the movement node.
        I didn't try it but I like this idea, could be difficult to give it a precise value but it's a wonderful "Plan B" approach. I didn't think of that.

Originally posted by GunsLingerSRB View Post
        It's because InputAxis works as EventTick, you should create one ActionMapping for W/S, and one for A/D, and have those events change Max Walk Speed on Pressed.
        First of all, thanks for your.... input.
        Yeah, I'm sorry, I love bad puns.

I tried this, like you can see in the image below this post, but i think i'm again missing something, because the character moves only 1 pixel per button press (even by holding the button).
        I think it's the Scale Value giving me problems, but at the moment I wouldn't know how to connect this in a different way.

Comment

Sorry for late reply.
          You should only put Max Walk Speed node on ActionInput.
          Leave AddMovementInput node as it was before, on AxisInput.

Comment

Working...
          X