Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actors not showing up in a 'Packaged Product' but working on PIE and SA Game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors not showing up in a 'Packaged Product' but working on PIE and SA Game.

Hi All,

I've run into a problem with my approach to blueprint. I have a project that is going well, and am getting the hang of BP for most things.

In my game, I have several actors I want my Character Class to have a reference to, so at 'Event Begin Play' I use the 'Find All Actors' node and look for their names. When I find the names, I put these references into variables for later use.

This approach works 'In-Editor' and even from a 'Stand Alone Game' launch options. But it fails completely when I Build it as a 'Package Product' (either as 'Development Build' or as a 'Release'). Most of the references do not show up, even things in the startup map and persistent level.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or perhaps things not loading in time (although I did try it 'on tick' to see if they ever show up) or what really. Anyone else come across this kind of problem.
    Regards,

Lee Page
    TeraBit Software

So I've worked out how to work around it and why things are not working, but it still may be a bug.

After doing a 'Find All Actors', I was getting the Display Name of the Actors and working from this. It appears that when you package a game, the Display name will be changed for the ID.

So in my case 'LevelOneStart' in PIE and SA Game became 'LevelOneStart_31' in the Packaged Game.

I switched this to checking the tags (instead of the display name) and added a tag to each of the Actors and so now it works consistently across Play In Editor, Stand Alone Game and Packaged.

Something to be aware of if you're using the display name for anything important that you want to work once you've packaged the game.
    Last edited by TeraBit; 08-18-2014, 06:18 AM.
    Regards,

Lee Page
    TeraBit Software

Comment

Working...
    X