Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move AI in squad, cover... Full Spectrum Warrior

Hi,
    I was hoping I could get some feedback from the community here on how you would go about re-creating the movement and shooting mechanics in the old 2004-game Full Spectrum Warrior.
    I am building a small proof of concept, and although I have came quite a long way I was hoping to get some feedback on how you would go about it.

You control two squads, and is a bit of a cross-over between a 3rd person game and a RTS-game. However you dont control one character individually with simple WSAD-keys, but you move a number of 4 AI´s at once. The part where I have been struggling the most is how to make each AI know if you're in cover or not, the "snap to location" when there is a cover close by

A short gameplay video her; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQtZ5WzYH4

Thanks again!

Victor

Brothers In Arms has better Waypointing System for AI (Personal Opinion).

How to Achieve something Like this? Well I would do this via Volumes. If the AI is within a Cover Volume it would Go to Cover Mode. If not then do something else.

Comment

Originally posted by StormTruppen View Post
      Brothers In Arms has better Waypointing System for AI (Personal Opinion).

How to Achieve something Like this? Well I would do this via Volumes. If the AI is within a Cover Volume it would Go to Cover Mode. If not then do something else.
      Thanks StormTruppen!
      However, I want to control the troops more than in Brothers in Arms. The idea is to control one squad of four at the time, and move much like an RTS-game, but the camera is attached to the controlled player of the controlled group.

Comment

its all still the same once you know which npc you want to move add them to an array then when you give the command use a for loop to cycle through the array and issue the same order to all party members, and this can be done by the cover as well for instance if the walk into the volume then the volume tells the unit to activate cover when the unit move out of cover return to run mode, and move tot the next cover location the unit was instructed to move to.

see 2 examples of the same thing

Comment

in older games cover places were placed manually. now you can use the free Cover Generator plugin, or use a runtime generated one by EQS as shown in a couple of tutorials (requires more performance). for group behavior you have more choices, you can assign a leader and the other could follow him targeting a location nearby to save some performance, otherwise all NPCs would do long range pathfindings.
          Edge of Chaos RTS
          "Age of Total Heroes" - RTS Pathfinding and Movement System for UE4
          RTS Camera C++ Tutorial

Comment

Working...
          X