Beginner - Making Particle effect delete itself after a delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner - Making Particle effect delete itself after a delay

So I'm currently learning the basics of Blueprints in Unreal and I am trying to make it so that when you shoot a wall (target without physics) instead of the explosion effect, it will create a spark effect. This is working the way it is, but I am trying to make it so that the spark effects die after a 0.2 second delay. I think I have the correct nodes here, but am getting confused at where they need to be placed for the effect to be removed. Any help would be appreciated!

When you destroy an actor that has self an a target, it can no longer run any code as, since you now have destroyed it. So if you wish to run the code on the blueprint itself, you need to destroy the actor as the very last thing. If you create the sparks of the explosion particle system, it will delete itself after it has run once. So instead of manually deleting it (which in this case would mean that your BP will be destroyed 0.2 secs later than it should), you jan just spawn it, set it to auto-destroy and let the emitter remove itself when it has run.

However, to answer your question, and you still wish to have full control, it would be like:

Run pre-before --> spawn emitter --> activate emitter --> delay --> deactivate emitter --> destroy actor

Hope it makes sense :-)

Comment

You can set up your particle system to auto destroy itself after the effect is complete. It will say "Completed" in the preview viewport in cascade when it is working correctly.

Comment

Hi there. Thanks for the responses, but unfortunately I have been tasked with keeping in the nodes we currently have and have just been told to use these. Is it possible with the nodes I already have to make the effect die after a delay, without the use of functions like the emitter?

Comment

Working...
        X