Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever release a true working seamless portal system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone ever release a true working seamless portal system?

Been searching everywhere the last few days and it seems the portals was one of the most sought after and hardest things to get done correctly in UE4 blueprints. Was wondering if anyone ever released a fully working / seamless portal system?

Hi [MENTION=839938]ForgottenHeroes[/MENTION],

There are a few examples and tutorials available - including my free template that includes a portal example.

You can download the template here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ion-Platformer

Hope this helps!
    [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
    [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
    [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
    Join our Discord

Comment

Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post

There are a few examples and tutorials available - including my free template that includes a portal example.

You can download the template here - https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ion-Platformer

Hope this helps!
      Appreciate it, the video looked awesome. When I actually downloaded it tho nothing seemed to work. Ladder climing didn't work, and when I shot the grappling hook out, it instantly pulled me to the item I shot at and I had this huge pink rod sticking out of my side.Like so

Click image for larger version

Name:	0XB81nehTxymQ6iJ6xqJkA.png
Views:	1
Size:	767.4 KB
ID:	1131015

Also noticed your portals wasn't seamless, there was a bit of lag / teleportation effect when I walked thru the portal onto the other side.
      Last edited by ForgottenHeroes; 07-12-2017, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Thats weird - when you say it doesn't work, do you mean the animations arent included or do you mean you cant climb the stairs at all? I cant include the animations for legal reasons but you can get them from Mixamo.com for free.

This project was done in 4.12 and I haven't tested it with 4.16 yet but I assume it works fine - will test out and see if something is broken on the newer version.

The portals are simply using Set Actor Location so the lag you are experiencing is UE4 loading the meshes of the new location. I don't see any lag on my machine, but it will depend on your set up. I would recommend you look at the code and modify it to suit your needs . If you want to guarantee that a mesh is always loaded even when "culled" you want to make it part of an actor that is visible (for example the items that are around 1 portal should be part of the same actor on the other side of the portal that way UE4 is forced to keep it loaded.

I hope that the blueprint at least puts you on the right track.
        [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
        [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
        Join our Discord

Comment

Originally posted by ForgottenHeroes View Post
          Been searching everywhere the last few days and it seems the portals was one of the most sought after and hardest things to get done correctly in UE4 blueprints. Was wondering if anyone ever released a fully working / seamless portal system?
          I exactly thinking about seamless portal like you described, without lag.
          I think this can be done in blueprints by level streaming.
          If you check epic content examples (download from launcher), there is level stream section.
          If i correctly remember, there is "soft" level loading without lag.
          So my idea(but im gonna test in 1 year later) is to break level to sub levels (i plan to make rpg) so after portal will be created, i create around portal overlap sphere (lets say 1-2 screens wide) and when player overlap that sphere, he will start loading meshes/other stuff from another level (with that anti-lag loading) so if levels will be small (which is possible in rpg) then maybe i will able to achieve seamless portal.
          Look ag that content example(s), especially level streaming, all content examples are great and worth to check.

Comment

This one???

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...606#post736606

Comment

Working...
            X