Creating laser beam to walk on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating laser beam to walk on

Hi, I want to create laserbeam to walk in similar to the one in portal. I dont know if its my bad but I can't find any tutorial for that.

I guess I need to adjust a mesh the size of a raycast but I am new here and dont know what to do.

thanks in advance

[MENTION=122829]fapocalips[/MENTION]:

Could you maybe provide us a video link, where the laserbeam feature in portal is shown? That might make it easier to understand, what you actually want to do. I might be able to help you further . If you can, explain it in more detail. Then we might have more of a clue, what you exactly want to do .
    Main channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGC...o9s3YcA/videos

Comment

of course here an exemple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapIX7pAcNI

the blue laser bridge

Comment

that looks more like just a plane with a fancy material on it to me.........
        Come Join Me On Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/iamjohngalt75 Or Visit Me On Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpu...wyusqni1ZnWdBQ

Comment

It not the visual that I want to know how, its the behaviour

Comment

all of it is pprecited but what I want is how to create some kind of dynamic surface that the player want to walk on it an with a scale that transform when he hits a obstacle, like a walkable beam, its no the visual im interested in

Comment

Originally posted by fapocalips View Post
              all of it is pprecited but what I want is how to create some kind of dynamic surface that the player want to walk on it an with a scale that transform when he hits a obstacle, like a walkable beam, its no the visual im interested in
              Matinee, Sequencer, Timeline... can all animate moving drawbridge affect.
              Or you can use Transform and change the scale of the walkway in a loop.
              Or use SetActorLocation / AddActorOffset to move the walkway in a loop...
              Search for threads that cover 'moving platforms', if that's what you need...

Comment

I ll try but I really don't think its that.

What I want is really some king of laser thatgoes from a point(any point)and stop when he hit an obstacle but this laser is a walking surface

Comment

I ll try but I really don't think its that.

What I want is really some king of laser thatgoes from a point(any point)and stop when he hit an obstacle but this laser is a walking surface
                  What you want to do is use a linetrace from the origin until it hits something. From there, break the hit and get the Impact Location. Do Get Actor Location - Impact Location -> Vector Length to get the distance. Use this distance to scale the mesh in the X axis using proportions
                  [WIP] Procedural City Generator | RPG AI
                  [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                  [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
                  Join our Discord

Comment

that sound more like it thanks

Comment

Do you mind giving me extra help. I know you helped me greatly but I tried this solution and I guess I still dont exactly get it this is What I have so far

Click image for larger version

Name:	laserTrace.png
Views:	1
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1129267

The mesh scale appropriatly but does not stop when the linetrace hit smething, I am not sure what is wrong,

Thanks again

Comment

Do you mind giving me extra help. I know you helped me greatly but I tried this solution and I guess I still dont exactly get it this is What I have so far

[ATTACH=CONFIG]144344[/ATTACH]

The mesh scale appropriatly but does not stop when the linetrace hit smething, I am not sure what is wrong,

Thanks again
                        Hi Fapocalips,

A few things to try out.

On the line trace, select Draw Debug Type dropdown and select "For Duration." Now you can see the actual ray...is it hitting something and stopping? Or is it going thru geometry?

Another thing, Make sure the vector length is correct. I would still explicitly do Actor Location - Impact Point -> Vector length just to be safe.

Also, you want to resize the mesh by using dividing the distance by the mesh size (proportion).

Name:	Trace1.jpg
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1129301

Name:	trace2.jpg
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	1129302
                        [MARKETPLACE] Animal Behavior Kit | Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool | Procedural Park
                        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP | Free Birds | Procedural Buildings
                        Join our Discord

Comment

Yup the trace work fine, it is red and become green when hit something, Your code is interesting but I am curious, what is the purpose of the spline in this context

Comment

Yup the trace work fine, it is red and become green when hit something, Your code is interesting but I am curious, what is the purpose of the spline in this context
                            Hmm, if the hit is correct then its probably something to do with the mesh scaling calculation. The code above is from my road builder tool. Im using a trace to get the distance from the track to the floor and scaling the "support." You can see the tool working here:

Join our Discord

Comment

Just wanted to say that I finally make it work , greatly thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                              X