Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collision channel settings does not work when both intracting actors are Charcters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collision channel settings does not work when both intracting actors are Charcters

Hello,

I dont know if this is a bug or expected result. Here is the issue:
    (this is originally discussed here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...en-moving.html)

I have two BPs extended from Character. Lets call them BP_Spider and BP_Player.
    BP_Player is used as my default player pawn.

In the Capsule compoenent for BP_Spider, I have set
    Collision preset: Custom
    Collsion type: Pawn
    Collsion enable: collsion enabled
    Collsion channel 'Pawn': Overlap.

In BP_Player, all settings are set at their defaults.

I put an instance of BP_Spider in the map.

Eventhough I asked Spider's Capsule to not block any Pawns, it blocks my player pawn (BP_Player)
    Inorder to make it work, I now have to ask the player's Capsule to ignore Pawns too which is not good

However if I make the Spider a BP extended from Actor (ie without Movementcomponent), it works like it should

So is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?
    I expected challenges - but I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.

*bump*
    Can someone help me out here?
    I expected challenges - but I never thought they'd be so bad, so long, and so frequent.

Comment

I'm not sure if that is a bug or not but in my experience, it's better to make some custom channels for your player vs enemies. It makes things easier to deal with. So if every single pawn in the game is simply set to be pawn collision, there's no way to distinguish them from each other. You're either always gonna go through all pawns, or always collide all pawns.

But if you make a custom channel for enemy and one for player, now you can set things up more specifically, based on those channels. You can take it further and create a custom channel per enemy type if need be. It makes life a lot easier in the long run.

In my game I also have custom collision channel for my weapons, so I can separate that out completely from the rest of things. So I can make sure the right things always only collide with what they are supposed to.
      Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Forum Thread -- Ninja Arcade - UE4 - Demo v0.02a

Comment

I understand. I use custom channels usually.

But I ran into this 'issue' by accident. I just want to know if this is a bug or just some qwrong configuration. I am leaning towards a bug becuase removing the MovementComponent from BP_Spider (by extending it from Actor) seems to fix this without any custom channels.

Thanks for the reply though. Looks like I will have to play around with it.

Comment

I replied here

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...en-moving.html
          UE4 Marketplace: Melee Weapon Plugin & Compressed Binary Save System Plugin | Rama's C++ AI Jumping Videos | Vertex Snap Editor Plugin

♥ Rama

Comment

Created a bug report here:
            https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...when-both.html

UPDATE: The staff has acknowledged the bug
            Last edited by mindfane; 08-02-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X