Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help, blueprints for gravity walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help, blueprints for gravity walls?

I made a thread earlier on this but I felt I should delete it and start more basic on what I'm trying to do.

I need help writing blueprints for creating surfaces where the player will orient themselves to it and be able to run and jump on it. I've seen plenty of videos of this being done, seen C++ examples, and visited and commented on other threads related to it but have found no answers, I need some sort of guidance and would appreciate any that can be given.

My theory on how to accomplish this so far from what I've read that I would need to disable all gravity, have a constant trace pointing down from the player, getting the floor's vector, and then applying force in that direction, though I have no clue how to set that up in blueprints. At the moment I'm also debating to either have a simple octagon shaped track so the lanes are all flat and not needing 360 different vectors to constantly shift the gravity with every tick (it's probably not too much a burden on performance but nothing is certain), or see if they can be curved so it its a smooth tube shape.

My goal is to create a endless runner with the lanes set up around a tube, the player (either in the form of a vehicle, a ball, or even a ball-shaped vehicle) will strafe left to right, and when they jump, if there's a lane opposite to them, they will flip and grip to that one (probably using two additional traces, one for detecting the lane is there to enable jumping, and one to extract the vector and reorient the player). I figured the first priority is make it so the player can run on any lane no matter how it's oriented, once I have that, the other mechanics can be added one by one.
    Last edited by Steamgeek; 05-16-2017, 04:33 PM.

[MENTION=26613]Steamgeek[/MENTION]:

I have tested a lot of this stuff in the past and the character movement component is useless. It creates an array of problems. I think you might try to make your own implementation of a character movement component and using the pawn class for sure. This should be possible in blueprint too although it is a bit of work. But if I narrow it down, you only would need to implement some kind of traction downwards (your self created gravity-z) with probably a line trace on tick. There are multiple ways of doing it, but also keep in mind that AI pathfinding will not be working for your case, so you will end up creating your own solution. I want to have my own gravity implementation for certain surfaces, so I will create my own movement component. I will make a tutorial, if I am successful.

Custom gravity is a complex problem. Not because of the gravity itself, but rather the resultant problems occuring.
    Main channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGC...o9s3YcA/videos

Comment

Working...
    X