Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modular Blueprint Components - What would YOU like to see made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modular Blueprint Components - What would YOU like to see made?

First off, I'm going to have to say this community is rocking! Like really, there's a feeling of positive vibe whenever I search for Unreal Engine on Google - from frequent updates, to YT videos and even forums.. And I'm rather old in game dev scene, I've been using Unity3D for a long, and just now making a switch.. Also I'm studying computer science and I'm thinking of myself more of a programmer although I've been playing with 2D/3D art a lot..

Now, the way I see it - In UE4 we don't have a scripting language yet (although I expect them to popup some time soon, and they would be a help) so we have blueprints.. It's quite common even for C++ programmers to build their logic in blueprint first and then either port all of it to C++ or debug and only do the most of intensive parts of it in C++.. So blueprints are a must for anyone who's going to have to jump from arch visualization to anything barely game-related..

Now, I'm having this idea which might be hard to pull off, but considering how this community is build of nice people I wouldn't be surprised if this even worked.. So here it goes..

Majority of games (even those that has rather innovating gameplay) can be build by using lots of small pieces of code - like light switching in levels, doors opening, levers turning, picking up a item from the ground, inventory system, score system, you get the idea..

Wouldn't it be good if we can all make a list of most used stuff like that, I'll then update this post, and then ANYONE is free (myself included) to start creating them in blueprints and sharing them with others? Imagine a folder where, in a few months, you could have 50, 100 or even 1000 different blueprints that you can then chose which one you need, tweak it, hell even create a C++ code out of it and add it to your next project?

I think this is awesome idea, I'm interested in what you guys think? Now, if each one of you replies with "lever", "door", "light switch", this thread could get ugly, and long pretty short.. and I'm not experienced with polls and to what level are they customizable in this forum.. So if you have any idea on what's the easiest, most convenient way to gather all the requests I'm open for hearing about...

The idea would be like, this thread with be like open for requests for like certain period of time, say 2-3-4 weeks, and then, the final list of wanted BPs will be put in this post and then until all of the BPs are created and submited here, royalty-free to anyone, the next period of doing this will start.. and on, and on.. The idea creators of those will benefit by tinkering and gathering their experience, the community will benefit by getting loads and loads of blueprint free of charge and then UE4 will even more become popular with having a lower steeping curve because there will be a lot of content available from the start to anyone choosing to try it out..

Let me hear your ideas?
    -eXtreme

I would like some weapon generation like in borderlands.
    I know it probably is not possible but i would like to see it work that would be freakin awesome!

Comment

It's a fantastic idea, I think it would be ok to have an easy inventory system (with HUD, etc)
      Last edited by 3Duke; 08-02-2014, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Template game menu :
        Game menu : new game, load game, save game , options, quit
        Graphic menu : resolution, shadows quality, details distance, quality lightening, save settings
        Input menu : redefine keys for joystick and keyboard, mouse, save settings

Comment

Guys sorry for such a late reply, I'm really busy with studying, finals etc..
          But once this is done I'll re-edit my first post to include these requests and who knows, perhaps this thread will spark some more interest especially now that Market Place is going to be open for public!

Cheers

Comment

Scroll to bottom if cba to read all

I would like:
            Some simple, clean HUD example with clickable(touchable) buttons and some basic health/stamina bars and a cross hair. I know its all in examples, but lets be honest, examples like Shooter Game has such complex BPs that if you understand it, you probably dont need examples anyway. I can't reverse engineer it because it's too complicated.

We have default touch sticks but no buttons for mobile. Tappy chicken has buttons but aggain, nothing that I look at makes sence to me, because its a forest of nodes in that BP and I got depressed when I saw how much stuff there is in it. I can make my character to jump or shoot or both at the same time when I touch the screen. If I just had a few SIMPLE touch buttons that I could hook up to functions on my char, it would be brilliant.

Some kinda weapon system with changeable weapons.

So in short: simple HUD with powerbars and cross hair,
            Simple touch buttons ready to be hoocked to character BP functions,
            Some basic weapon system.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Galeon View Post
              Template game menu :
              Game menu : new game, load game, save game , options, quit
              Graphic menu : resolution, shadows quality, details distance, quality lightening, save settings
              Input menu : redefine keys for joystick and keyboard, mouse, save settings
              I'll second this, especially with UMG out now! Same with your requests Pablookas.

Comment

Glad I found this thread as I was thinking the exact same thing (see my post here)

There should definitely be distinctions between network-ready examples and those intended for singleplayer.

General examples:
                - Drivable vehicles with multiple seat/gunner positions (Enter/Exit vehicle Unreal Tournament style)
                - Minimap display (2D/3D)
                - Inventory System
                - Main Menu / Settings Menu
                - Water effects (Swimming, Floating, Sinking)
                - Vehicle/Character customisation

Multiplayer specific:
                - Hosting a Server
                - Joining a Server (Server Browser)

Comment

Working...
                X