Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I pass orientation as a quaternion in blueprint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I pass orientation as a quaternion in blueprint?

Hi All,

I have a motion controlled IK rig where the hand objects are rotating just fine with the Motion controller input. No gimbal flips there.
    But when I take that scene components world orientation and apply it in the character Anim Blueprints I get various gimbal problems.

Does anyone know a good way to do this?

Cheers
    Fred

You might be able to make your own Quat type in BP along with supporting functions. You'd make a structure and accompany it with a function library. That isn't a great idea but it does avoid jumping into C++ to make a wrapper class or expose a core engine type to BP manually.
    They broke the signatures so I removed mine thinking it'd be awhile. The signatures work again, but I haven't redone my signature yet.

Comment

Mm...thanks yes but that would take me some time just to figure it out and right now that is a bit much for me.
      Feels like then it might even be easier to make it in code as all the explainers online would be in code too.

Comment

Quaternions are not a thing in Blueprint, due to Epic not exposing them.
        Epic wants to keep Blueprints userfriendly, so they limit it to Rotators (don't argue about it here, I'm with you!).

If you need quaternions and you don't want to recreate them in Blueprints (which I also can understand),
        you might want to use Rotator->Quaternion functions from C++ and do the rest in C++.

If, however, you can't use C++, then it might be out of reach for now.
        Open for contracted work | C++/BP (incl. Multiplayer) | Tutoring | VR

My UE4 Blog/Page with Tutorials and more: Hit me for ALL the things!
        (Including 100+ Pages Multiplayer Network Compendium to get you started.)

Comment

Ok yes I think probably to do this it should be done in code.
          I'll have to put it on the maybe-to-do-later shelf for now.

Cheers, Fred

Comment

Working...
          X