Sample rate in UE4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sample rate in UE4

I am a little confused about the sample rate when it comes to audio in UE4.

When it comes to importing audio files, the UE4 documentation states:
    "The engine currently supports importing uncompressed little endian 16 bit wave files at any sample rate (although sample rates of 44100 Hz or 22050 Hz are recommended)."

On the other hand, when you go to Project Settings > Platforms > Windows > Audio you can choose the Audio Mixer Sample Rate and the default setting is 48000.
    Obviously, you can change it but why would Epic games recommend importing audio files at a sample rate of 44100 Hz and then by default mix them at 48000? What's the logic behind that? What am I missing?

That documentation is out of date. I would not worry about that. I would recommend using a sample rate appropriate for the particular program material and your deployment platform constraints.

Sample rate can be a great way of saving space for platforms with memory constraints. Some platforms have sample rate constraints, and so the engine will resample on cook based on those constraints--so in some cases, you're better off targeting sample rates that work well with your platform constraints.

On the other hand, you may want to special case source material that has high frequency data you need to preserve and so you may prioritize higher quality and sample rate settings for those files, especially if you're planning on dramatic down pitching (slowed playback).
    Dan Reynolds
    Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Working...
    X