Audio Occlusion does not work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Occlusion does not work

I have a Elevator Blueprint over an ocean, When I get into the elevator I want the ocean to be muffled and I've tried adjusting every setting but I cannot get anything to sound muffled or occluded, ive even tried the steam audio plugin but that is even more confusing, some help or a step by step tutorial would be awesome

Well... I've been requested to develop a "less convoluted audio occlusion system for designers" by few teams that have no dedicated programmer.
    Seems like the built-in solution is very basic and Steam audio is too much trouble to deal with so I'm building a custom occlusion plugin that is way easier to use (for their designers).

I have no ETA for when it's ready (complicated math is involved), but as soon support for FMod and WWise is added I will publish
    | Finite State Machine | Object-Pool Plugin | Auto-Save Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin |

Comment

Originally posted by BrUnO XaVIeR View Post
      Well... I've been requested to develop a "less convoluted audio occlusion system for designers" by few teams that have no dedicated programmer.
      Seems like the built-in solution is very basic and Steam audio is too much trouble to deal with so I'm building a custom occlusion plugin that is way easier to use (for their designers).

I have no ETA for when it's ready (complicated math is involved), but as soon support for FMod and WWise is added I will publish
      Awesome bro, can't wait to see it in the marketplace, do you have a forum thread where I can watch the progress and updates of the asset before its released?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	1385294
        Occlusion is located in the ATTENUATION SETTINGS:

Enable Occlusion: Must be toggled ON it is OFF by default.
        Occlusion Trace Channel: Available are all the PhysX trace channels, Visibility is the most practical and defaulted.
        Occlusion Low Pass Filter Frequency: Is the cutoff frequency of the Low Pass Filter applied to the Sound being occluded, the LOWER this number, the more MUFFLED the effect.
        Occlusion Volume Attenuation: Is how much QUIETER or LOUDER you want your Occluded sound to be, the LOWER this number, the QUIETER the sound.
        Occlusion Interpolation Time: Is how long you want it to take to transition from Occluded to Not Occluded.
        Use Complex Collision for Occlusion: This should be used if you would rather use a complex collision trace instead of a Visibility Channel Trace.

PLEASE ensure that your occluding object is actually blocking.

If this is still confusing, please post screenshots of your settings--do not make a new post, just post them in here.
        Dan Reynolds
        Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Here are my Occlusion settings for my ocean sound, As i get closer to the ocean, is there a way I can Unmuffle my sounds, also do I need to do anything to the walls or rocks in my scene or will it do what it needs to do automatically?

Comment

If you're using Complex Collision, then you need to make sure that the occluding objects have a collision mesh.
            Dan Reynolds
            Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Originally posted by jojo8026 View Post

Awesome bro, can't wait to see it in the marketplace, do you have a forum thread where I can watch the progress and updates of the asset before its released?
              I don't have any forum thread yet because this is in very early stages. I' working on it for less than a week currently.
              I usually only post things when its already complete, I did post about it here just to let you know something as a 'middle-ground' between built-in occlusion and the "heavy" Steam Audio is in the works as seemed like you're really in need for it...

Occlusion is already working, I am using physical materials attached to Materials you create in the Material Editor to calculate occlusion properties instead of forcing designers to add a convoluted import/export of meshes to an external software;
              But there's a lot of things yet to be done, I'll create a forum topic once I resolve more annoying maths that have to be added for sound "portals", diffraction, reverb variations and scattering.
              Here's early stage example of ray-tracing algorithm working:

| Finite State Machine | Object-Pool Plugin | Auto-Save Plugin | Anti-Cheat Plugin |

Comment

Oh, and sorry to bump this again, but I'm excited
                Here's a little video, test demo, of the scene above:

Comment

Working...
                X