Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting Up a Blueprint MIDI Manager with 4.14 version of MIDI Device Support Plugin

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
    Is there any kind of tutorial with how to build this out currently?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RayRayJnr View Post

Implementing the VST SDK would be amazing, but maybe a UE5 thing. I havn't looked at the synth stuff in the new audio engine but automating reaktor in unreal you could probably do everything from sub mix effects, sound design, scoring.
    Exactly. Until that, i'm thinking about using VCV in SaviHost, and control it with UE4 via the new 4.23 OSC. Apart the release note, for now there is apparently no tutorial about it. I've never used OSC, so i'm not sure where and what to look at.

Leave a comment:

• replied

If you have partnered with a VST developer, then they could build their instruments into your project. I do not know if anyone has made a VST wrapper for UE4, certainly not Steinberg who owns the VST format.
    Implementing the VST SDK would be amazing, but maybe a UE5 thing. I havn't looked at the synth stuff in the new audio engine but automating reaktor in unreal you could probably do everything from sub mix effects, sound design, scoring.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi,

i am very new to MIDI in Unreal and Blueprints. I tried to recreate the MIDI Manager BP in UE4 4.22 but i can not create the correct communication with the interface.

I always get something this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Interface_Problem.png
Views:	5
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1604847

Instead of "Using Interface MIDIListen_C" which it is supposed to be i guess.

Name:	Strcture_In_BluePrint.png
Views:	5
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1604848

I first created the Interface named "MIDI_Listen" and the Functions (see blow) then after that the MIDI_Manager_BP very close to the one created by Dan:

Name:	image_161639.png
Views:	6
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1604842Click image for larger version

Name:	image_161642.png
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1604845

I read through the various chapters about Blueprint Interfaces but somehow i can not get it working.

Any help, tips or new tutorial links for MIDI and the new 4.22 implementation is very appreciated!

Below how it looks so far...

Best
    Stanley

Name:	image_161643.png
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	1604846
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anscorm; 04-08-2019, 09:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello, could you provide the list of the new bluprint nodes needed in 4.22 to output midi infos ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey everyone,
    I am really new to this kind of stuff, so I apologize for every inconvenience due to my noobquestions.

I set up the midi manager and it can find my digital piano. So far so good.
    But how can I get the input to trigger events?

Actually I want to visualize every key on the digital piano (76 keys) to one special color (ex. a colored point light or a emissive material) . So when I play I can see my playing visualized on a screen.

So I have the midi manager and the set up for the light, but I don't know how I can get the part with the input and the keymapping?

Was that understandable? :-)

UPDATE:

I figured out, that I wrote the input device wrong. So now I can get a input, but I can't seperate the different keys. So it fires the event ( pointlight) with all keys. I looked into the output log for the Control ID, but somehow if I call the note on or note off function and write a controlID into it, it doesn't change.
    Can someone help me, how can I get the Control ID in the right way?

Okay, I fixed it myself. If anyone have the same problem, I can help you out now.
    ^.^
    dan.reynolds Great setup by the way. Totally works well for me!
    If I am done with the artistic stuff, I will post a video.
    Last edited by HaensPaenda; 03-18-2019, 06:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I don't suppose you could post screenshots of the MIDI Interface and an example actor that implements that interface could you Dan? I'm really new to this. I've read the interface documentation, but I'm having problems grocking it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Im wondering how do you get the midi listener class used in get all actors with interface and how to use that towards the bottom part of the blue print here http://prntscr.com/mq09h1

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi everyone,
    I have been playing around with the MIDI plugin and I must say it's an amazing thing to have inside the engin. I can now play with the Synthesis plugin using my phone as a MIDI controller!

I have a question, when using the MIDI plugin, is it built so that an android device running UE project could find a MIDI device like a DAW? or am I completely off?

So far I've only been able to read MIDI from an android device with other apps that are controlling my UE project on a mac, but I want to be able to use my own app that I developed in UE to send MIDI data to a DAW. Is it possible?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by David Boura View Post
    Can i use Vsti and vst's, put them in chains, insert fx's, create sends, a master chain? Without a Daw, all in UE4 and ideally all the vst's used put in the content folder, so the gamer just launch the game?
    If you have partnered with a VST developer, then they could build their instruments into your project. I do not know if anyone has made a VST wrapper for UE4, certainly not Steinberg who owns the VST format.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can i use Vsti and vst's, put them in chains, insert fx's, create sends, a master chain? Without a Daw, all in UE4 and ideally all the vst's used put in the content folder, so the gamer just launch the game?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    MagicNono

Output is coming to 4.22:

https://twitter.com/dannthr/status/1086429235600797699

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MagicNono View Post

Hi,
    I'm trying too setting MIDI output events to my devices.
    Is there any change for that in recent UE Builds ?

So,
    I've found the marketplace procedural midi plugin which does output event.
    Any chances to get that mainstream ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    At the moment, the MIDI implementation is for input support only. I would love to see MIDI output support so we can transmit MIDI events to my devices and synthesizers though. I think Blueprints is really fun to program in and it would be cool to make some procedural music systems in BP and have them control my hardware...
    Hi,
    I'm trying too setting MIDI output events to my devices.
    Is there any change for that in recent UE Builds ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Varkie View Post
    The problem I'm having right now is LATENCY
    There is about half a second delay between me hitting the drum, and hearing the sound.
    Any ideas on how to address this?
    Thanks
    Gerbrand
    Lower the buffer size on your soundcard if it already uses asio drivers, or download asio4all if it doesn't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X