Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting Up a Blueprint MIDI Manager with 4.14 version of MIDI Device Support Plugin

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much DanReynolds :]
    Honestly, if I were on my own I would have stopped by now:
    (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqs34hten...rRxNpkjka?dl=0)

Comment

Originally posted by Speck97 View Post
      Thank you so much DanReynolds :]
      Honestly, if I were on my own I would have stopped by now:
      (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqs34hten...rRxNpkjka?dl=0)
      Nice! Now it's time to make the magic happen! You can do it!
      Dan Reynolds
      Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I have it working to get my player jump with a midi keyboard (m-audio keystation88)but after a while it just stops responding. the keyboard is still recognised by the plugin. The keyboard doesnt generate not off triggers but probably note on's with zero velocity....... dont know why it stops after about 2 minutes. I really want to trigger all sorts of devices trough arduino or MIDI (perfume machines, actuators, fans, low frequency rumbling etc etc). I am forced toward MIDI ( https://www.tindie.com/products/hotc...-relay-module/ ) If somebody can point me in the right direction to trigger relais through UE4 I would be very happy. I think it is great to build all sorts of VR arcade machines ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkXr3gbsUM ) . At the moment I guess the midi-out is sill not supported so I am having difficultys getting relais switches to work.

Initial question was: why does it stop after a couple of minute?

Just found out arduino made a upgrade to 4.16 so I wil give it a try.
        Last edited by game_master_jodan; 06-14-2017, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by game_master_jodan View Post
          Thanks for the explanation. I have it working to get my player jump with a midi keyboard (m-audio keystation88)but after a while it just stops responding. the keyboard is still recognised by the plugin. The keyboard doesnt generate not off triggers but probably note on's with zero velocity....... dont know why it stops after about 2 minutes. I really want to trigger all sorts of devices trough arduino or MIDI (perfume machines, actuators, fans, low frequency rumbling etc etc). I am forced toward MIDI ( https://www.tindie.com/products/hotc...-relay-module/ ) If somebody can point me in the right direction to trigger relais through UE4 I would be very happy. I think it is great to build all sorts of VR arcade machines ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgkXr3gbsUM ) . At the moment I guess the midi-out is sill not supported so I am having difficultys getting relais switches to work.

Initial question was: why does it stop after a couple of minute?

Just found out arduino made a upgrade to 4.16 so I wil give it a try.
          Hey game_master_jodan!

I'm not sure why it would stop working. I've definitely run some long sessions. Are you sure your hardware isn't going to sleep or anything like that? Some USB ports power down after a couple of minutes of inactivity, maybe something like that happened?
          Dan Reynolds

Comment

I've not experienced that either. Does it do it with any non-UE4 apps that support midi in?

Sorry I didnt post my roli midi demo yet, got distracted by fixing a UE4 mac audio device selection bug (see my mac thread), Apple WWDC, a hardware synth, the roli seaboard block announcement, 4.16 versions of some nvidia plugins that I want to use for the demo and general perfectionism despite this only supposed to be a crude demo of my experiment at this point. Will get back to it before the end of June, cheers.

Comment

Moving to Unreal -- noob interface/messaging question

I decided to move my music app from Java to Unreal after I heard about the new synthesis support in Unreal, so I am very much a noob, and likely I am missing something:

I can't seem to get the Messaging objects in the BlueprintInterfaceMessages section to show up when I right click and search for their function names. Are they functions that I need to create in C++ , or macro's within blueprint?

Not asking anyone to do it for me. A pointer to a tutorial on interfaces/messaging would be helpful.

Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by EidurArnason View Post
                I decided to move my music app from Java to Unreal after I heard about the new synthesis support in Unreal, so I am very much a noob, and likely I am missing something:

I can't seem to get the Messaging objects in the BlueprintInterfaceMessages section to show up when I right click and search for their function names. Are they functions that I need to create in C++ , or macro's within blueprint?

Not asking anyone to do it for me. A pointer to a tutorial on interfaces/messaging would be helpful.

Best regards.
                Did you create a Blueprint Interface?

This tutorial doesn't cover how to create Blueprint Interfaces.

Check out: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...pes/Interface/

Generally speaking, Blueprint Interfaces are powerful because they allow you to send information or call functions but not care who you're communicating with--this allows the recipient to determine how they use the data and what the function does for them.

It is a collection of Virtual Functions (which are meant to be overridden) by anyone using the Interface.

Once you create the Blueprint Interface, the Interface calls will appear in your context menu.
                Dan Reynolds

Comment

Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Comment

The Event Dispatch Transmits part of the the big picture seems to be missing as a zoomed in jpg. Therefore I can't be certain I am doing everything correctly: hard to read from the large jpg.

Is it possible that we can get a zoomed in snip of that portion?

Also, in making one of the Interfaces: Call Note Off -- I make the Interface, and then in my blueprint go to Class Settings and add it... But it seems pretty random to me, depending on how I save or compile if the interface shows up as a message or not... I eventually get it to show up, with the little letter image up in the right corner, but I am not sure exactly how I got it that way, and sometimes it takes a lot of compiling and saving back and forth before it shows up as a message?

Also Call Note Off doesn't show up in my Interfaces in the "My Blueprint" panel ?

Best regards.
                    Last edited by EidurArnason; 07-15-2017, 10:57 PM.

Comment

The Event Dispatch Transmits part of the the big picture seems to be missing as a zoomed in jpg. Therefore I can't be certain I am doing everything correctly: hard to read from the large jpg.

Is it possible that we can get a zoomed in snip of that portion?

Also, in making one of the Interfaces: Call Note Off -- I make the Interface, and then in my blueprint go to Class Settings and add it... But it seems pretty random to me, depending on how I save or compile if the interface shows up as a message or not... I eventually get it to show up, with the little letter image up in the right corner, but I am not sure exactly how I got it that way, and sometimes it takes a lot of compiling and saving back and forth before it shows up as a message?

Also Call Note Off doesn't show up in my Interfaces in the "My Blueprint" panel ?

Best regards.
                      You don't need to add your interface to the object that calls the Interface function--that will help alleviate some of the context menu confusion. Otherwise, yes, you're looking for the envelope in the upper right hand corner which tells you that this is a dispatch call, not a local call or a public function call.

Also, it's a good practice on your Interfaces to have return booleans that return true when the function call was successful--that way you can verify it on the object side or do something different if it failed, etc. Additionally, Interface functions require some kind of output, so it's a good practice anyhow. That might be why your Note Off isn't visible? Maybe? Not sure.
                      Dan Reynolds

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	MidiPoly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	1131354

Can anybody help me with getting a functioning polyphonic synth working.

I naively assumed you just needed to have an NoteOff and NoteOn function hooked like the picture shows, and check the "Enable polyphony" in the Make Modular SynthPreset object to get it to work.

It works in the sense that If I break link to NoteOff then I get polyphony but the notes never shut off (except if I 'hardcode' the duration) .., but if I keep the NoteOff hooked no sound comes out.

What is the trick to getting polyphony working?

All the best.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]149169[/ATTACH]

Can anybody help me with getting a functioning polyphonic synth working.

I naively assumed you just needed to have an NoteOff and NoteOn function hooked like the picture shows, and check the "Enable polyphony" in the Make Modular SynthPreset object to get it to work.

It works in the sense that If I break link to NoteOff then I get polyphony but the notes never shut off (except if I 'hardcode' the duration) .., but if I keep the NoteOff hooked no sound comes out.

What is the trick to getting polyphony working?

All the best.
                          For NoteOff to work, you must trigger a NoteOff event with the same Note value. So if you NoteOn 83, then you must NoteOff 83 for 83 to end.

This is why I use a SWITCH statement.

EDIT: I am confused by your implementation where you Note On and Note Off immediately afterward.

Your graph will execute fully each time you give it some MIDI event. You only want to NoteOn when you have a NoteOn event, you only want to NoteOff when you have a NoteOff event.
                          Dan Reynolds

Comment

Beautiful... Now it works as intended The Switch does the trick.

I'm very new to Blueprints , and slowly getting into things like how to discern order of execution and such

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

A quick question about the MIDIControlID output. When I play note 62 and print it out I get something like 62.000000 - but if I take (float note ) into my function and try to cast it as an int:

int32 IntNumb = (int32) note;

... then I get 0.000000 (no matter what note I play)

(also if i do an unqualified int)

I guess it is a floating point number to allow for pitch bending, but I am going to be gathering musical phrases in arrays and analyzing them and think it is unnecessary to work with the notes as floats, so I am wondering why it isn't casting properly? Or do you recommend just skipping casting it and work with floating point numbers?

Comment

A quick question about the MIDIControlID output. When I play note 62 and print it out I get something like 62.000000 - but if I take (float note ) into my function and try to cast it as an int:

int32 IntNumb = (int32) note;

... then I get 0.000000 (no matter what note I play)

(also if i do an unqualified int)

I guess it is a floating point number to allow for pitch bending, but I am going to be gathering musical phrases in arrays and analyzing them and think it is unnecessary to work with the notes as floats, so I am wondering why it isn't casting properly? Or do you recommend just skipping casting it and work with floating point numbers?
                                I think the original intention with the Synthesizer was to work with pitch as a float for pitch bending purposes--but in reality, pitch bend should just be done with pitch bend because a MIDI style voice manager necessarily must identify the voice ID by pitch (very keyboard oriented).

Thus, it really SHOULD be an Int, but at the moment it's a Float.
                                Dan Reynolds

Comment

Working...
                                X