This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I may have missed information but does the new Audio engine is still in Beta? If yes, any final date in mind?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post

Hi Arj!

Yeah the patch system can get a bit weedy. When I made my drum kit for our GDC floor demo, I conceded to having two synthsizers per kit piece. A bit pricier, but it was way easier to program.
      Hey Dan thank you for the reply!

As a quick hack I was able to do just as you suggested, using 2 different synths to make a kick.

When you say it gets a bit weedy, do you mean that the patch that I was trying to achieve isn't possible due to one bug or another? Or are there further advanced steps required to patch individual oscillator gain/freq/etc? If it's a bug, no big deal. But if you have a solution I would really appreciate it if you would share some details on how to make that work.

I'm nitpicking but really great work on this! I'm having fun building out wacky sound contraptions. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Shempii View Post

Hey Dan thank you for the reply!

As a quick hack I was able to do just as you suggested, using 2 different synths to make a kick.

When you say it gets a bit weedy, do you mean that the patch that I was trying to achieve isn't possible due to one bug or another? Or are there further advanced steps required to patch individual oscillator gain/freq/etc? If it's a bug, no big deal. But if you have a solution I would really appreciate it if you would share some details on how to make that work.

I'm nitpicking but really great work on this! I'm having fun building out wacky sound contraptions. Thanks a lot!
        The advanced patches may have bugs, it's not well tested because of the possible combinatorics.
        Dan Reynolds
        Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Originally posted by Elvince View Post
          Hi,

I may have missed information but does the new Audio engine is still in Beta? If yes, any final date in mind?

Thanks,
          Hi Elvince, it is still in Early Access. We are currently working toward shipping it with one of our major titles--it's important to us to have road tested it on an internally shipped title before officially switching over.

With that said, a few titles out in the wild are already using it, including the soon-to-be-released game, A Way Out.
          Dan Reynolds

Comment

Hi Tomavatars! Thanks for the report, I'll talk to Ethan if he has an idea about this!
            I just began to work again with the synths modules (both modular and granular) and I still have a Mac editor freeze when using a blueprint actor in a scene with a synth activated and started in it. When playing in editor in viewport and stopping with Esc key, the editor freezes. BUT, when playing from a blueprint window, it's ok. Which is very strange!

http://corentinderbre.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteGames View Post

I just began to work again with the synths modules (both modular and granular) and I still have a Mac editor freeze when using a blueprint actor in a scene with a synth activated and started in it. When playing in editor in viewport and stopping with Esc key, the editor freezes. BUT, when playing from a blueprint window, it's ok. Which is very strange!

Thanks for the heads-up, ConcreteGames; I'll see if I can repro this issue. Did you make sure you're running the New Audio Engine?
              Dan Reynolds

Comment

Is the new audio engine already default @ 4.19?
                Is it possible that I can run it by default? The last time I tried it I had to start the ed with -audiomixer and after that i had to open my project; I usually just open by clicking on the project file (I tried to put it in the projectfile link, but it did not work back then).

Comment

Originally posted by Th120 View Post
                  Is the new audio engine already default @ 4.19?
                  Is it possible that I can run it by default? The last time I tried it I had to start the ed with -audiomixer and after that i had to open my project; I usually just open by clicking on the project file (I tried to put it in the projectfile link, but it did not work back then).
                  It is not on by default, we want to road test it on Fortnite before we consider it properly released--that's just our due diligence. Follow the instructions at the top of the thread for adding the config file, this will make sure it's always on for your project.
                  Dan Reynolds

Comment

alright, so the -audiomixer parameter has no impact anymore?
                    I am working with a small team and for some even setting the right ini value in the launcher engine might be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Th120 View Post
                      alright, so the -audiomixer parameter has no impact anymore?
                      I am working with a small team and for some even setting the right ini value in the launcher engine might be a challenge.
                      -audiomixer still works. But if you want it on by default for YOUR project, then you need to set up the config override. You can check ini files into your version control so that everyone gets them. I can't imagine how you're collaborating otherwise.
                      Dan Reynolds

Comment

Good feature, but there a lot of things in the guide that I don't understand, like on the modified screenshots that I attached.
                        The guide doesn't go step by step, I don't see connections, and there is no screen-shot showing some complete blueprint set-up like in Midi tutorial
                        Sorry if my question is very basic, I just never had any experience with sound-thing
                        Please halp,
                        Kind Regards
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dudester01; 04-23-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudester01 View Post
                          Good feature, but there a lot of things in the guide that I don't understand, like on the modified screenshots that I attached.
                          The guide doesn't go step by step, I don't see connections, and there is no screen-shot showing some complete blueprint set-up like in Midi tutorial
                          Sorry if my question is very basic, I just never had any experience with sound-thing
                          Please halp,
                          Kind Regards
                          The white connections are EXECUTIONS.

They come from EVENTS.

I would recommend a generalized Blueprints tutorial, something like turning on and off a light or opening and closing a door. The gist is that an event happens and it executes a series of functions and macros. These happen in a specific order, a sequence determined by the order in which your functions are connected. Sometimes there are macros that alter the execution pathway (like a Branch or a ForEach, etc.) in those cases, you might have several possible execution pathways. How you construct these pathways determines your game logic.

The question of what Event prompts a Note On for a Synth or a Set Frequency for a Filter is not one posed to me, that is up to you.

Maybe the Note On plays when your BP interprets a MIDI Event, or maybe it plays when your character walks into a Trigger Volume. Maybe you set the Filter Frequency of your Source Effect when your player loses the game or when you enter a menu.

The point is, I don't know what comes before those any more than you do.
                          Dan Reynolds

Comment

The white connections are EXECUTIONS.

They come from EVENTS.

I would recommend a generalized Blueprints tutorial, something like turning on and off a light or opening and closing a door. The gist is that an event happens and it executes a series of functions and macros. These happen in a specific order, a sequence determined by the order in which your functions are connected. Sometimes there are macros that alter the execution pathway (like a Branch or a ForEach, etc.) in those cases, you might have several possible execution pathways. How you construct these pathways determines your game logic.

The question of what Event prompts a Note On for a Synth or a Set Frequency for a Filter is not one posed to me, that is up to you.

Maybe the Note On plays when your BP interprets a MIDI Event, or maybe it plays when your character walks into a Trigger Volume. Maybe you set the Filter Frequency of your Source Effect when your player loses the game or when you enter a menu.

The point is, I don't know what comes before those any more than you do.
                            Thanks, Dan
                            I know the blueprints and stuff. But I don't know for example what are the Note on, Note Off, how the sound-thing works, etc google is silent on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudester01 View Post

Thanks, Dan
                              I know the blueprints and stuff. But I don't know for example what are the Note on, Note Off, how the sound-thing works, etc google is silent on this matter.
                              Note On and Note Off are functions called on the Modular Synth Component, they mimic MIDI Note On and Note Off events, which have been a standard for hardware synth communication since the 1980s.

They start a synth note and end a synth note, respectively.
                              Dan Reynolds

Comment

How do I complete the following step on a Mac? do I use terminal?

Launching the Editor with the New Audio Engine on via Command Line:

1. Open the project using command line flag: -audiomixer

Comment

Working...
                                X