This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there quick question about patches:

I've wired a very simple patch with Source->envelope and Destination->gain and it works great - the envelope correctly affecting the patched destination (in this case, overall gain). However, when I change the destination to be Destination->osc 1gain it seems to have no effect. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm seeing a similar behavior with any of the individual osc parameters (gain, freq, etc)

I'm trying to use osc 1 and osc 2 to make a sort of 808 sounding bass kick where there's the clicky sound (noise in osc1) and the resonating bass sound (sine in osc2). In order to do that I'm trying to apply different adsr envs to each oscillator for the two different parts of this sound. I assume that changing the gain on osc 1 independent of osc 2 is possible, otherwise I don't see why there would be a distinction between osc 1 and 2 offered in the patch destination dropdown.

I'm very new to synthesis but have been doing lots of outside reading to learn the basics. Is there one simple step that I'm missing or perhaps a parameter that is obviously set incorrectly but I wouldn't know?

Thanks,

- Arj

Comment

• Hey Dan!
      I just upgraded to 4.18 on Mac, and when I play in editor a synth patch that works, when I stop the game, it freezes the editor. Am I doing something wrong and is it only a Mac problem?
      Thanks!

Comment

• After investigation it is due to the start/stop behavior. You need to use the stop node if you want to avoid editor freeze. Which is tricky.

Comment

• Is there a way to disable the new audio and revert to ALAudio at runtime on Linux, on a packaged build ? One of our players who doesn't use PulseAudio experiences crashes with the new engine.
          Helium Rain, a realistic space opera - Full C++ sources available - Steam Greenlight | /r/unrealengine

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwenn View Post
            Is there a way to disable the new audio and revert to ALAudio at runtime on Linux, on a packaged build ? One of our players who doesn't use PulseAudio experiences crashes with the new engine.
            Hi Gwenn!

The modules need to be loaded on load and they need to be built as part of the packaging process to be available. There's no way that I know of to change a module during runtime. Can you describe the crash steps?
            Dan Reynolds
            Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomavatars View Post
              After investigation it is due to the start/stop behavior. You need to use the stop node if you want to avoid editor freeze. Which is tricky.
              Hi Tomavatars! Thanks for the report, I'll talk to Ethan if he has an idea about this!
              Dan Reynolds

Comment

• Originally posted by ArjunTheMiella View Post
                Hi there quick question about patches:

I've wired a very simple patch with Source->envelope and Destination->gain and it works great - the envelope correctly affecting the patched destination (in this case, overall gain). However, when I change the destination to be Destination->osc 1gain it seems to have no effect. Is there something that I'm missing? I'm seeing a similar behavior with any of the individual osc parameters (gain, freq, etc)

I'm trying to use osc 1 and osc 2 to make a sort of 808 sounding bass kick where there's the clicky sound (noise in osc1) and the resonating bass sound (sine in osc2). In order to do that I'm trying to apply different adsr envs to each oscillator for the two different parts of this sound. I assume that changing the gain on osc 1 independent of osc 2 is possible, otherwise I don't see why there would be a distinction between osc 1 and 2 offered in the patch destination dropdown.

I'm very new to synthesis but have been doing lots of outside reading to learn the basics. Is there one simple step that I'm missing or perhaps a parameter that is obviously set incorrectly but I wouldn't know?

Thanks,

- Arj
                Hi Arj!

Yeah the patch system can get a bit weedy. When I made my drum kit for our GDC floor demo, I conceded to having two synthsizers per kit piece. A bit pricier, but it was way easier to program.
                Dan Reynolds

Comment

• Originally posted by rasamaya View Post
                  for the android and ios .ini files could I force mute if there is no headphone detected? I saw a workaround for Unity, but cant get this to work with Unreal. I basically dont want audio to play or just have zero volume, if there are no headphones being used. Any help would be super.
                  Hi Rasamaya!

You will need to take advantage of some kind of device notification message. You will probably need to look into the APIs for the various devices, as they will differ.

You can create a mute button though and use the SoundMix system to establish 0.0f volume audio on the Master SoundClass.
                  Dan Reynolds

Comment

• Hey Dan. The crash we saw was for a player who didn't have PulseAudio on his system. Calling SetBaseSoundMix() crashes the game immediatly on 4.18. Using PA resolves the issue.
                    Helium Rain, a realistic space opera - Full C++ sources available - Steam Greenlight | /r/unrealengine

Comment

• With the old audio engine I get crashes when the audio device goes away. With the new one the whole process hangs instead.

This happens often when Windows MR headsets via SteamVR idle out and destroy their audio device. Any ideas on a workaround?

Comment

Working...
                      X