This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Hi, I have a question about working with the modular synth. If there's a better place to ask it, please direct me.

My first issue is that I don't seem to understand how the "Start" node works. The description says "starts the synth generating audio," but in my blueprint it doesn't seem to be doing anything. The only way I can get the synth to make sound is if I use the "Note On" node, which I think I'd rather not do.

The second issue, probably stemming from the first, is that I can't get the "Set Osc Frequency Mod" node to affect the sound. I assume this is related to the fact that so far I can only hear audio when a specific MIDI note is being played. Ultimately, my goal is to use the to have the frequency of the tone change based on a variable.

I assumed that "starting" the synth with the Osc Frequency set to 2000 would generate a 2000Hz tone until I told it to stop, but clearly I'm not getting something. I don't have much experience with modular synthesizers, so maybe that ignorance is showing

In my Blueprint, the Set Osc Frequency Mod Node is based on a tick event and the Set Synth Preset (and thus Start) is set to a button press event. Note On works if I connect it to Start.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	synth blueprint.png
Views:	45
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	1349723

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kjekkbart View Post

Maybe use a highpass-filter? If you need to hear the rest of the sound too, duplicate the sound but change it to a fitting low-pass filter so they together sound good. If you're using it with envelope follower it can cause complications though, because we don't have dummy-channels yet(I think), so the env foll can only react to stuff that player hears. So the split would be necessary depending on your case.
    Thanks alot for the quick reply, gonna try that asap!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Onarbest View Post
    Is there a way to get the frequency of a certain spectrum range on tick ? Want to be able to pick out the brilliance from the sound.
    Maybe use a highpass-filter? If you need to hear the rest of the sound too, duplicate the sound but change it to a fitting low-pass filter so they together sound good. If you're using it with envelope follower it can cause complications though, because we don't have dummy-channels yet(I think), so the env foll can only react to stuff that player hears. So the split would be necessary depending on your case.
    Last edited by ArthurBarthur; 08-27-2017, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is there a way to get the frequency of a certain spectrum range on tick ? Want to be able to pick out the brilliance from the sound.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post

vvlay9090, good question, you can open the project using a command prompt OR if you are using the Github version, you can enter the command line into your visual studio project build to ensure that it loads the Audio Mixer module.

You can learn more about command prompts here:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...LineArguments/
    Thanks Dan. Gocha..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by vvlay9090 View Post
    hi, Dan.
    you made a super good things for us.
    I have a simple question...
    How to do this step '1. Open the project using command line flag: -audiomixer' ...
    vvlay9090, good question, you can open the project using a command prompt OR if you are using the Github version, you can enter the command line into your visual studio project build to ensure that it loads the Audio Mixer module.

You can learn more about command prompts here:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...LineArguments/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hi, Dan.
    you made a super good things for us.
    I have a simple question...
    How to do this step '1. Open the project using command line flag: -audiomixer' ...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks kjekkbart... Good to know... I copied some objects from the other... gonna rather rebuild the second one, see how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can have many, everywhere!
    Just tried with a couple actors and a pawn, each playing a note on their own synth. Works great!
    Maybe it's in your preset-setup or somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I make one Pawn and one Actor who each have their own Modular Synth, and try and run it Unreal crashes.

I am using the same preset bank for both though.

Am I not able to build more than one instance of a Modular synth?

If so, is there a good way for many actors to have their own preset playing from one Modular Synth simultaneously ?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
    [MENTION=21219]SVR33[/MENTION]

Yup, we used the Envelope Follower to drive Instanced Material Parameters to create a reactive affect.
    I got it working! I'm really psyched. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=21219]SVR33[/MENTION]

Yup, we used the Envelope Follower to drive Instanced Material Parameters to create a reactive effect.
    Last edited by dan.reynolds; 08-04-2017, 04:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by kjekkbart View Post
    Not Dan here. Do you have the spoken dialogue ready as audio file, or do you need it to be reacting to the users voice, live? If it's audio files you can do it in blueprints Set up the 'Envelope Follower' source effect thing. Instructions are in the first or second post of this thread.
    Live voice is trickier(for now...dun-dun-duuun), but if you are cool with c++ you can do it.

Have fun!
    Oh, that's perfect! Yes, I'm using audio files and, somehow, just completely missed this. Thanks so much!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Not Dan here. Do you have the spoken dialogue ready as audio file, or do you need it to be reacting to the users voice, live? If it's audio files you can do it in blueprints Set up the 'Envelope Follower' source effect thing. Instructions are in the first or second post of this thread.
    Live voice is trickier(for now...dun-dun-duuun), but if you are cool with c++ you can do it.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi [MENTION=524867]dan.reynolds[/MENTION],

In your GDC presentation, you had some materials that seemed to be influenced by audio waveforms. I'm trying to build a HAL 9000-esque interface that will modify color & size based upon spoken dialogue.

Has anything like that been exposed in these 4.16 experimental features?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X