Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Audio Engine: Early Access Quick-Start Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Been having a lot of fun with the new audio engine so far, great work!

    Was wondering if there was any way of getting our hands on the content-example-esque demo scene shown at GDC?

    Comment


      #62
      I get no audio when the game is packaged, anyone had this issue?

      Comment


        #63
        Turns out this was due to needing UnfocusedVolumeMultiplier=1.0 in the WindowsEngine.ini as I was trigging from another app.

        Comment


          #64
          After adding a reverb effect to the master submix using AddMasterSubmixEffect, I can't hear anything. Do I need to do anything else to get this working?

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by unit23 View Post
            It would be cool to get some video along with the introduction, showcasing the sound differences, effects etc.
            We would like to have quite a few tutorials, videos, blog posts, documentation, etc. But we will be holding off on a lot of educational productions at least until the new Audio Engine is no longer experimental.
            Dan Reynolds
            Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by dinosauriac View Post
              Are the new audio engine along with aspects like the sound utilities plugin going to be fully released with 4.17? No longer experimental / beta versions? Holding off on really diving into this until everything's had a good shakedown...
              We're still shaking things!

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Gary-Busey-Look-Alike-Shake-Dance-Gif.gif
Views:	1
Size:	732.5 KB
ID:	1131039

              We're not sure what version that will be yet, as release dates can fluctuate. We've been making great headway now that we have a new Audio Programmer joining Aaron--2 times the power, 2 times the audio!

              Attached Files
              Dan Reynolds
              Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by melonFury View Post
                After adding a reverb effect to the master submix using AddMasterSubmixEffect, I can't hear anything. Do I need to do anything else to get this working?
                There is already a Master Reverb on by default, you can activate it by the traditional method. I would have to check with Aaron, but I believe that AddMasterSubmixEffect adds inline effects, which means that you'll need to manage dry/wet levels on your Submix Effect Preset and I believe reverb is no dry signal by default because the expectation is that you'll be using a Send for your reverb (as is traditional for audio production).

                Click image for larger version

Name:	ReverbSourceEffectDefaultSettings.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	1131045
                Dan Reynolds
                Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
                  A couple of things to watch for:

                  I find it useful, often, to pull back the gain, high gain can sometimes introduce distortion from which harmonics can emerge. Additionally, you'll want to ensure that Oscillator sync is off, which would restart the second oscillator every cycle resulting in a slightly sawtoothy (or sharksfinny) waveform.

                  Definitely hit us up with a video if you're certain you're hitting a bug.
                  Full gain on both oscillators seemed to be the source of all my confusion, thanks!

                  Another quick question - can the Modular Synth Component be Spatialized? Is checking "Allow Spatialization" in its setting like any other sound-producing class all I need to do? Do I need to use one of these new Submix classes or something? Many of the settings, like Spread and Osc Sync and the Delay settings, seem to imply a fixed stereo pipeline. I've got Synthesizer functionality embedded inside an object that can also play Sound Cues at Location, so the synth notes would need to sound like they're coming from the same spot in multiplayer. Thanks!

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by mindridellc View Post
                    Full gain on both oscillators seemed to be the source of all my confusion, thanks!

                    Another quick question - can the Modular Synth Component be Spatialized? Is checking "Allow Spatialization" in its setting like any other sound-producing class all I need to do? Do I need to use one of these new Submix classes or something? Many of the settings, like Spread and Osc Sync and the Delay settings, seem to imply a fixed stereo pipeline. I've got Synthesizer functionality embedded inside an object that can also play Sound Cues at Location, so the synth notes would need to sound like they're coming from the same spot in multiplayer. Thanks!
                    The Modular Synth Component has an Audio Component and derives from SoundBase which means you absolutely have spatialization options! The output is Stereo, so it will work like spatialized stereo works in UE4.
                    Dan Reynolds
                    Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Source Effect Presets Empty?

                      I followed the steps to use the new audio engine, and i can see all the new submixes and effect chain tools in my sound section. but when i try to create a new Source Effect Preset, the drop down window that pops up show up empty?! am i doing something wrong? i had it working previously on another project and now it just doesn't show up. could it be a sign that i am really not using the audio engine? i am using the command line -audiomixer in a short cut of duplicate of my engine launcher and the guide seems to suggest, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by metalgunner87 View Post
                        I followed the steps to use the new audio engine, and i can see all the new submixes and effect chain tools in my sound section. but when i try to create a new Source Effect Preset, the drop down window that pops up show up empty?! am i doing something wrong? i had it working previously on another project and now it just doesn't show up. could it be a sign that i am really not using the audio engine? i am using the command line -audiomixer in a short cut of duplicate of my engine launcher and the guide seems to suggest, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                        Make sure the Synthesis plugin is turned on--all the DSP effects are inside it.
                        Dan Reynolds
                        Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
                          Make sure the Synthesis plugin is turned on--all the DSP effects are inside it.
                          Oh WOW! that was it! thank you so much Dan. i totally spaced on that one!

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Hey Dan,

                            I'm trying to build a VR stepsequencer with the Unreal Engine, using Wwise and the Oculus Spatializer for 3D-Audio. In the current state of the new audio engine, is there a way to play Soundfiles with sample-accuracy? Everything I tried until now was depending on the framerate, which obviously doesn't offer a very accurate timing for audio. But maybe I'm missing something.
                            I'd love to see a short walkthrough of how to achieve sample-accurate timing if this is possible.

                            Thank you for the great work on the new audio engine, the synthesis features are amazing!

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by drfzjd View Post
                              Hey Dan,

                              I'm trying to build a VR stepsequencer with the Unreal Engine, using Wwise and the Oculus Spatializer for 3D-Audio. In the current state of the new audio engine, is there a way to play Soundfiles with sample-accuracy? Everything I tried until now was depending on the framerate, which obviously doesn't offer a very accurate timing for audio. But maybe I'm missing something.
                              I'd love to see a short walkthrough of how to achieve sample-accurate timing if this is possible.

                              Thank you for the great work on the new audio engine, the synthesis features are amazing!
                              So part of the challenge (regardless of what engine you use) is when logic and user interaction traffic through the game thread and the game thread is synchronized with your frame rate.

                              We don't have anything for scheduling events for inter-frame event calls out of the box.

                              If you wish to use Blueprints, you will need to adhere to the limitations of your frame rate tick.

                              With that said, in the new Audio Engine, if you make a play call for multiple audio files on the same frame execution, they will all play synchronized. If you mark Virtualize When Silent, they will continue to track playback even when silent.

                              However, it's important to appreciate that there are many threads at work.

                              You have the Game Thread, you have the Audio Logic Thread, and you have the Audio Rendering Thread. If you wanted, you could create an object in code that operates on the Audio Logic Thread and where visualizations wait for delegates from that thread. But we don't have a walk through for that and it's not a trivial thing to build.

                              With that said, the Audio Logic thread can tick faster than the Game thread.

                              Or you can optimize performance on your game thread to ensure high framerates.
                              Dan Reynolds
                              Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                              Comment


                                #75
                                It's not clear to me from the provided pictures how to modulate a value on a Source Effect Preset. How do I access a reference to the Source Effect Preset? Do I have to drill into it from an Effect Chain? Are Effect Chains and Source Effect Presets global instances, or are they per-instance uniquely modulated like Dynamic Material Instances?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X