Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Audio Engine: Early Access Quick-Start Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by CMilesM View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with saving .wav files using Audio Capture in 4.20? I can get it to save as Sound Wave files, but just changing the export type (see attached) from Sound Wave to Wav doesn't work.
    Wave files are saved in a different directory (Saved directory instead of Content directory), were the subdirectories Audio/Recording created in your Saved directory?
    Dan Reynolds
    Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

    Comment


      Originally posted by kamrann View Post
      It's been a while since I've worked with UE4 audio code, I'm surprised to see that the new mixer is still not enabled by default in 4.20. Can someone give or point to a brief status update on the system?
      I'm updating a plugin and wondering if it's safe at this point to assume that all future projects that will use it will be able to enable the mixer without issue. Has the mixer been implemented for all UE4 supported platforms now, including consoles?
      All of our backends have been built out for all UE's supported platforms. We are focusing on battle hardening it by turning it on for Fortnite. This allows us to fortify and optimize it for a large-scale, multi-million player game project. When we've done this, we will turn it on by default for new projects. Currently, we've turned it on for Android so far.

      With that said, it's worth noting that there have already been several games which have released using the new Audio Engine. Our own Robo Recall, but also a slew of indie games (like All Walls Must Fall) and a couple of AAA titles (like A Way Out). Many licensees starting up new projects have already turned it on for their new projects and if you're looking at starting up a project now and expect to be in development for a while, it's probably a good idea to turn it on.
      Dan Reynolds
      Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

      Comment


        Hello @dan.reynolds ,
        I noticed when you use the new audio engine you get another section on CPU profiling called "audioMixerRenderThread(1)" and this section takes a lot of ms, it takes ~ 7 ms on android but somehow its not affecting the performance does that mean they made audio engine work on different thread?

        Another question, how can I disable Master Reverb and Master EQ on the new audio engine? as you can see its taking 6 ms even though I checked the box for "disable EQ" on project setting and I unchecked the box for effect and Reverb on my audio master sound class.
        3rd and last question, what is "apply effects" on attached image regarding master sound class?
        Thanks
        Last edited by mhnoni; 02-25-2019, 08:45 AM.

        Comment


          It will be better if we can reuse the Animation Montage editor or Level Sequence Editor, so we can add custom events, rearrange audios and mixe them visually like Wwise and FMOD doing.

          Comment


            I'm having trouble dynamically setting source effect values when using media sound components. It seems like the media sound component only keeps the source effect values at initialization, and subsequent modifications to the source effect reference has no effect. I'm also getting weird behavior where setting the source effect value at begin play doesn't get applied to the media sound component until I stop and start the play in editor session again. I'm pretty stumped on this one, even after stepping through the source code. Any help would be appreciated!

            Comment


              Originally posted by vle07 View Post
              I'm having trouble dynamically setting source effect values when using media sound components. It seems like the media sound component only keeps the source effect values at initialization, and subsequent modifications to the source effect reference has no effect. I'm also getting weird behavior where setting the source effect value at begin play doesn't get applied to the media sound component until I stop and start the play in editor session again. I'm pretty stumped on this one, even after stepping through the source code. Any help would be appreciated!
              That's a current bug in the latest launcher version(4.22.2 atm) of UE. If you wait for next launcher version, or grab a fresh master off github right now, dynamic source effect parameters should work normally again.

              Comment


                Originally posted by ArthurBarthur View Post

                That's a current bug in the latest launcher version(4.22.2 atm) of UE. If you wait for next launcher version, or grab a fresh master off github right now, dynamic source effect parameters should work normally again.
                Thanks for the info! Just updated to the latest hotfix 4.22.3, and updating the source effect values at runtime now works. Still ran into the issue where setting the values at begin play on a media sound component is buggy on the first launch. My workaround is just to use a 0.5 second delay before setting the values.

                Comment


                  Is anyone else having issues with hot reloading while using the new audio engine? My editor keeps crashing with this error:
                  Exception thrown at 0x00007FFDD47D9349 (UE4Editor-AudioEditor.dll) in UE4Editor.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

                  I have to close the editor, recompile, and then relaunch the editor every time I change any c++ code

                  Comment


                    Sorry if this has already been answered (did a search). I want to sidechain/envelope follower type of ducking. Not a "push mix/pop mix" thing. but dynamically ducking things. How would i go about that? The compressor has no sidechain input.
                    But i'm guessing i really dont need that.
                    All I want to be able to do is to control a submix audio volume, base on the envelope follower output.
                    How would I go about doing that?

                    Also another case: Modulating EQ frequencies, based on distance.

                    I have read about "Dynamically Setting Source Effect Values in Blueprints", in the beginning of this thread, but I'm pretty confused.
                    A short youtube video about these things would be super helpful. But I perfectly understand if that isnt being made.

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by ArthurBarthur View Post

                      I did this today, it has several presets(in-game buttons for changing presets coming soon). The blueprint is very rough/elaborate and sorely needs more elegant solutions: https://youtu.be/aumCMQFEFoQ



                      PS Nice guide! Appreciate it. Many many thanks!
                      This is such a cool idea
                      LinkedIn | Insta | YouTube | SoundCloud | valkyrie-sound.com | Sound Design, Composition, Production
                      Check it out!

                      Comment


                        Hi,

                        I switched to the new audio engine and noticed that reverb (the "classic" reverb-asset based reverb that you can apply to audio volumes) is a lot more pronounced (more echo-y?) than with the stock audio engine.

                        Is that expected due to the algorithm now being different, or will the discepency be fixed in a future update?

                        Edit: I should mention that some of the engine content reverb settings are too echo-y now, for example Engine/EngineSounds/ReverbSettings/Mountains

                        Thanks!
                        Alan
                        Last edited by Alan Edwardes; 07-23-2019, 04:34 PM.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Alan Edwardes View Post
                          Hi,

                          I switched to the new audio engine and noticed that reverb (the "classic" reverb-asset based reverb that you can apply to audio volumes) is a lot more pronounced (more echo-y?) than with the stock audio engine.

                          Is that expected due to the algorithm now being different, or will the discepency be fixed in a future update?

                          Edit: I should mention that some of the engine content reverb settings are too echo-y now, for example Engine/EngineSounds/ReverbSettings/Mountains

                          Thanks!
                          Alan
                          The reverb in the old engine was not supported on every platform and on ones where it was supported, were different sounding for each platform. That is because the reverb was an effect created by that platform. So on Windows and XBox, it was Microsoft's own XAudio2 reverb effect. On PS4 it was Sony's NGS2 reverb. On Mac is it was Apple's AudioUnit reverb.

                          The New Unreal Audio Engine is Epic's Reverb, it renders within our own DSP pipeline, and so it will sound exactly the same on every platform you deploy to--the old one will not.

                          As far as redesigning the old Engine Content, we're aware of this issue and we're looking at the best approach to take.
                          Dan Reynolds
                          Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post

                            The reverb in the old engine was not supported on every platform and on ones where it was supported, were different sounding for each platform. That is because the reverb was an effect created by that platform. So on Windows and XBox, it was Microsoft's own XAudio2 reverb effect. On PS4 it was Sony's NGS2 reverb. On Mac is it was Apple's AudioUnit reverb.

                            The New Unreal Audio Engine is Epic's Reverb, it renders within our own DSP pipeline, and so it will sound exactly the same on every platform you deploy to--the old one will not.

                            As far as redesigning the old Engine Content, we're aware of this issue and we're looking at the best approach to take.
                            Fantastic, thanks for the explanation Dan. This sounds like a massive step forwards. I released an update switching my Early Access game Estranged: Act II over to the new audio engine yesterday (mainly to alleviate AMD compatibility issues). I had to re-work all of the reverb, but from what you're saying this was worth doing.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Alan Edwardes View Post

                              Fantastic, thanks for the explanation Dan. This sounds like a massive step forwards. I released an update switching my Early Access game Estranged: Act II over to the new audio engine yesterday (mainly to alleviate AMD compatibility issues). I had to re-work all of the reverb, but from what you're saying this was worth doing.
                              Yes, it was definitely worth doing.

                              With that switch over, you will also open up the ability to apply Source Effects or Submix Effects as well (so if you wanted different EQ settings on two different sources, you could do this now). Or if you wanted to add Master Bus Compression to your Master Submix or to just a group of sounds, this is now possible.
                              Dan Reynolds
                              Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

                              Comment


                                that's so useful

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X