This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post

-audiomixer still works. But if you want it on by default for YOUR project, then you need to set up the config override. You can check ini files into your version control so that everyone gets them. I can't imagine how you're collaborating otherwise.
    very easy, you only source control the project itself and everyone has to use the launcher engine (the package build is done from engine source tho)

Thx for your answer, sadly I still have problems with steam audio on the current launcher version, maybe switching the engine source might be an idea now

Comment

I just enabled this and it fixed all my android issues.

Comment

How would you get the UModularSynthComponent added to an Actor in C++? I've got everything set up in Blueprints already, but I wanted to bring the logic down to a lower level and the compiler can't find the header file. I tried adding "Synthesis" to my PublicDependencyModuleNames in the .build.cs file, but it still has issues finding the header files.

Comment

I managed to get it to compile! I forgot to add it to the AdditionalDependencies inside the .uproject file. Adding "Synthesis" in the .uproject file, to PublicDependencyModuleNames in .build.cs, and including "SynthComponents/EpicSynth1Component.h" got it to compile properly.

Comment

Originally posted by pfaudio View Post
            Hi,

Excited to get into the stuff in the new audio engine. I have a couple questions involving the best way to build a music system in BP that I think tie into that.

Currently we are on UE4.17 and planning to jump to 4.19 when it’s out. I note that timing stuff was covered in this thread back around post #73 from @drfzjd.

Probably the most critical timing thing for me is tracking playback time of a music file, and stopping it at designated “exit points” where we then play/stitch an “ending stinger” Cue.

To track timing for the currently playing music cue, we are multiplying % of Cue’s progress by its duration. So for instance 43% complete * 1:12.434. We have a binding from the audio component’s OnAudioPlaybackPercent event to multiply the Percent float that it outputs by the duration of the sound cue (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...aybackPercent/).

This brings me to my first question: Is this the most accurate way to monitor a music Cue’s time?

Also, I just watched the “Procedural Audio in the new Unreal Audio Engine” video from May of last year. At about 43 minutes in, Aaron mentions that he addressed some stuff where the old audio engine was not queueing up and executing events at the same time.

Next question: He mentions this was done for 4.16, but is it in the new audio engine that you have to enable or part of the default one at this point?

Ultimately I’m hoping to be able to stop a track and play an ending stinger with <20ms of latency, so not exactly “sample accuracy”. Still testing, but may already be there. One thing that appeared to be causing the end stinger cues to play late is if the game requests to stop current Cue, and next exit point is not far enough away. After some experimentation it looks like it’s best to skip an exit point and go to next if it’s <0.5 seconds after the request.

Final question(s):

If we switched to new audio engine now with 4.17:
            • Are things pretty much the same, stability-wise if we aren’t using any of the new plugins?
            • Will existing audio related BP or Sound Cue nodes change in functionality at all?
            Thanks
            I'd also be super interested in getting answers to pfaudio's questions as I'am in a similar spot: trying to play two sound cues back to back and getting ~18-20ms of additional time (sound cue duration + said additional time) between starting a sound cue and receiving OnAudioFinished. I'am using a single AudioComponent on an otherwise empty actor, alternating between two Sound cues when receiving the OnAudioFinished delegate in C++.

What is the recommended way of playing e.g. a list of WAV with as little delay as possible between one ending and the next one starting? Are sound cues still the way to go or should I use a granular synth, even though I'd play the source file start to finish?

I'am currently on 4.18.3 but could change to a later version if really required. Not using the new Audio Plugin right now - but would switch to it, if required to decrease current 20ms delay.

An answer or pointers into the right direction to do this would be really appreciated.
            Last edited by no7hing; 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Hi no7hing, I describe the problem here in my slide-show on making an interactive music system in blueprints:
              Dan Reynolds
              Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post

Thanks for the heads-up, ConcreteGames; I'll see if I can repro this issue. Did you make sure you're running the New Audio Engine?
                Hi Dan. I'm a part of Concrete Games ^^
                I still have issues with 4.19.2 Mac version : the editor freeze when I press stop while a synth plays in the main viewport. It works when pressing stop while a synth plays in blueprint editor. I'm pretty sure I'm using the new audio engine. (Image: https://cl.ly/241C113a0v0m)
                Last edited by Tomavatars; 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM. Reason: Add Image

Comment

Please, I need some answers, for AudioCapture Components it working only for windows , no other platform, when u going to support android?

Comment

Hey, I just started playing with the new engine, excited about the idea of making DSPs for it! What would be the best approach to make an audio recorder in C++? I'm thinking about a little app to record synth , maybe a looper later.

Cheers =)!

Comment

Hi lucastakejame, you might want to take a look at Ethan.Geller's work on the new Submix Recording feature in 4.20. It could serve as a good model for building your own recording feature. He supports both SoundWave Serialization as well as exporting to an actual Wave File, so it's worth a look!
                      Dan Reynolds

Comment

Great! I'll take a look at that =)! Thanks

Comment

dan.reynolds Hi there Dan! I've been having a lot of fun with this system and I just wanted to say thanks. Really cool work, I'm working on a really neat project with it in VR, I'd love to show you some day

I just ran into a little hiccup and I'm wondering if you have an answer. This project requires that I am able to have many different synth components in a level. I was pleasantly surprised by how performant they seem all things considered!

My issue is that, when I have 38+ synth components playing periodically (38 is ballpark, and it might not be the same every time, this was a cursory test to give you an estimate) it seems that with each subsequent component I spawn, it pushes the oldest one out. Like a First In/First Out situation. I hope that makes sense. I have set them to play in a loop, and right around once I've added the 38th synth component, the 1st synth component will stop playing. The 39th new synth component will cause the 2nd to stop playing and so on...

I recognize that 38 sounds like a LOT but without getting too in the weeds on what my project is, it requires the ability to spawn and have many synths existing (and potentially playing) at once.

Is there some variable that can be changed in a config to remove this limit? Or is this not an intentional limit? I'd like to know more about it because while I am still able to fully test and play with this tool I'm making currently, in a perfect world there would be no limit to the number of synth components I could have playing at once (besides my poor computer's limit of course).

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into this. I can't wait to start seeing the creative ways that people use your plugin!

- arj

Comment

Originally posted by Shempii View Post
                            dan.reynolds Hi there Dan! I've been having a lot of fun with this system and I just wanted to say thanks. Really cool work, I'm working on a really neat project with it in VR, I'd love to show you some day

I just ran into a little hiccup and I'm wondering if you have an answer. This project requires that I am able to have many different synth components in a level. I was pleasantly surprised by how performant they seem all things considered!

My issue is that, when I have 38+ synth components playing periodically (38 is ballpark, and it might not be the same every time, this was a cursory test to give you an estimate) it seems that with each subsequent component I spawn, it pushes the oldest one out. Like a First In/First Out situation. I hope that makes sense. I have set them to play in a loop, and right around once I've added the 38th synth component, the 1st synth component will stop playing. The 39th new synth component will cause the 2nd to stop playing and so on...

I recognize that 38 sounds like a LOT but without getting too in the weeds on what my project is, it requires the ability to spawn and have many synths existing (and potentially playing) at once.

Is there some variable that can be changed in a config to remove this limit? Or is this not an intentional limit? I'd like to know more about it because while I am still able to fully test and play with this tool I'm making currently, in a perfect world there would be no limit to the number of synth components I could have playing at once (besides my poor computer's limit of course).

Thanks again for all the hard work that went into this. I can't wait to start seeing the creative ways that people use your plugin!

- arj
                            Um, wow! That's a lot! Cool!

If you go to your Project Settings and locate your Platform Settings, you'll find an Audio section. You'll want to increase the Max Number of Channels which is 32 by default.
                            Dan Reynolds

Comment

Hi Dan, very much thanks for this synth tools and docu.
                              I just created a mini synth with a virtual keyboard, and midi in so you can play the synth trough a keayboard. It is possible to setup all parameters into a widget much userfriendly and it is possible to play it like a real synth. I'm so happy how this thing is working and also how it sounds. The idea is, that you can play the synth like real, and also have a tool to make the sound banks and presets, so it can be used in games, or what ever you want.

I had one week to create this synth widget and actor, just about all the sliders and all this. Too bad the the synth knop is broken. the middle ring move some where , but just not in the middle So i used sliders for the knops. Just a question. Is this a bug on the synth knop in widget's, or did i some thing wrong?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by GAME3D; 07-27-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

GAME3D, that looks great! Awesome!

I'm not sure what's up with the Synth Knob. I would try wrapping it in its own Size Box or something.
                                Dan Reynolds

Comment

Working...
                                X