Steam Audio

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xN31 View Post
    [MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION] Any feedback about this?

Should sounds played with "Play sound at Location", "Spawn Sound at Location" or "Spawn Sound Attached" be affected by occlusion too?

Does an occluded sound have any indirect contribution or occlusion blocks both direct and indirect components?
    Sounds played dynamically should work correctly with occlusion. I will do testing to see if I can reproduce these errors.

Occluded sounds have indirect contribution if you're using source-centric reverb, but not if you're using listener-centric reverb.

Comment

Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
      At the moment, we only support axis-aligned volumes (no rotation). I figured at some point folks would try to align - will probably disable rotating the volume in the next release.

I'm not sure why your first situation would be happening. What do the other views look like (front, side), and is all geometry that we're looking at tagged and exported?
      Figured it out. The volumes used "Uniform Floor" placement strategy, but were placed above the floor (I thought they should encompass only the area where I wanted probes). Including the floor fixed the issue.

Comment

Sounds played dynamically should work correctly with occlusion. I will do testing to see if I can reproduce these errors.

Occluded sounds have indirect contribution if you're using source-centric reverb, but not if you're using listener-centric reverb.
        Ok, I was using listener centric reverb. With source centric reverb both occlusions on sounds played dynamically and indirect contribution for occluded sounds work properly, thanks.

Comment

[MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION]

Is there an extra step to make Steam Audio work on Gear VR?
          All the builds i have tried with Steam Audio activated always result in it crashing.

To eliminate my current project as the problem i set up a fresh project and configured it for Gear VR, same result.

The builds did not have Occlusion enabled.

This is using UE 4.16.0 with the builds running on a Samsung S7 Edge (Android 7.0, Kernel 3.18.14-10422490)

Comment

Am I missing something, or isn't it a bit laborious to add PhononGeometryComponents to every single non-negligible-sized StaticMeshActor in a level? Any way to automate it?
            Impromptu Games|dev blog|twitter|itch.io store|Patreon
            Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs
            |Impromptu Fire Propagation|InFlux Example Game|Impromptu Vector Field Painter

Comment

Hey xN31,

I'm aware of the issue and have a fix for it coming out in 4.17. There are a few functions that were incorrectly #ifdef'd to compile only with the editor. The only workaround currently is to compile the engine from GitHub and apply the patch.

Greetings! Do you have a link to the pull that fixes this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWintergreen View Post
                Am I missing something, or isn't it a bit laborious to add PhononGeometryComponents to every single non-negligible-sized StaticMeshActor in a level? Any way to automate it?
                The fastest way to export is to use the hierarchy: add an empty actor, attach the geometry component there, enable "export children," and attach any other actors you want under it.

Comment

Originally posted by cybersnik View Post
                  [MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION]

Is there an extra step to make Steam Audio work on Gear VR?
                  All the builds i have tried with Steam Audio activated always result in it crashing.

To eliminate my current project as the problem i set up a fresh project and configured it for Gear VR, same result.

The builds did not have Occlusion enabled.

This is using UE 4.16.0 with the builds running on a Samsung S7 Edge (Android 7.0, Kernel 3.18.14-10422490)
                  4.16 only supports Win64. We are aiming to support Android in 4.17.

Comment

The fastest way to export is to use the hierarchy: add an empty actor, attach the geometry component there, enable "export children," and attach any other actors you want under it.
                    This isn't convenient for me so I did a quick blueprint which adds those components to every smactor above a certain size. Seems to work.
                    Impromptu Procedural Ladders|Impromptu Procedural Handrails|Impromptu Procedural Stairs

Comment

4.16 only supports Win64. We are aiming to support Android in 4.17.
                      Are there any early builds with android support available for testing?

Comment

Oh yikes, just ran into that "phonon probe volumes have collision" issue. Guess nobody's using those until 4.17

Comment

Hey there folks, hope this is the right place as I don't think this may be an issue for tracking.
                          Im in 4.16.1 and I don't see any occlusion or reverb plugin settings in my audio component like it says I should in the manual.
                          Is this a version issue or am I missing something?Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	1
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	1129159

Help apreciated

Comment

Hey KosmoPixel,

My guess is that you're not running the editor with the -audiomixer command line argument. Hope that helps.

Comment

Hey KosmoPixel,

My guess is that you're not running the editor with the -audiomixer command line argument. Hope that helps.
                              Oh snap! Thanks, that did it. I cant believe ive missed that. *hangs head in shame*

Comment

No worries! Do that myself sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X