Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Audio

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    [MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION]: When exporting the scene the first time (after applying phonon geometries and materials) a file [level_name].obj gets created in the Contents folder and I get asked "A change to a source content file has been detected. Would you like to import it?"

    Shall I import or ignore it?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
      Currently, we do not support transmission (sound passing through geometry) - we offer Partial occlusion, which will smoothly interpolate direct sound down to 0 volume as the source passes out of view.

      We only support static geometry at the moment. We do, however, have the ability to hook into a custom raytracer, so I plan to experiment with using the UE4 raytracer and see if we can get dynamic geometry without having to implement complex data structures in our backend.
      In my tests the volume does not drop to 0 when the source is fully occluded, even if no reverb is configured. Is there something wrong in my setup or am I hearing some sort of sound indirectly reflected by the objects around?
      Last edited by xN31; 05-20-2017, 08:59 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by xN31 View Post
        [MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION]: When exporting the scene the first time (after applying phonon geometries and materials) a file [level_name].obj gets created in the Contents folder and I get asked "A change to a source content file has been detected. Would you like to import it?"

        Shall I import or ignore it?
        You can just ignore it. The obj is useful for verifying scene geometry is what you expect.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by xN31 View Post
          In my tests the volume does not drop to 0 when the source is fully occluded, even if no reverb is configured. Is there something wrong in my setup or am I hearing some sort of sound indirectly reflected by the objects around?
          Hmm - can you post a video with the exact settings? Are you using partial occlusion or raycast?

          Comment


          • #20
            Occlusion and indirect sound

            Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
            Hmm - can you post a video with the exact settings? Are you using partial occlusion or raycast?
            So, using raycast. Did some more testing:
            - Object A is a blueprint with a static mesh which plays a sound each time the object collides with something. I've tried using "Play sound at Location", "Spawn Sound at Location" and "Spawn Sound Attached", setting in any case the same attenuation (which includes steam occlusions). Occlusions do not seem to work properly (I hear the object hitting even when behind other objects)
            - Object B is a similar blueprint, but with also an audio component attached with a looping sound (same attenuation). Looping sound works fine with occlusions, bump sounds no (e.g. throw the object, stop hearing the looping sound and then hear the bump)

            Any idea why?

            Also, when the looping sound is occluded, it gets completely muted even if I enable indirect sounds (e.g. add a real time reverb). Is this something expected?
            Last edited by xN31; 05-22-2017, 07:47 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Phonon Probe Volumes and trace interactions

              Also, talking about a different issue: Phonon Probe Volumes do not have collision settings as other Volumes and this may be a problem with trace interactions used in the VR template for teleporting. Would it be possible to change the collision preset for this object?
              Last edited by xN31; 05-22-2017, 07:46 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Model normals

                On a different topic: checked out the generated .obj in blender and all or most of the normals seem to be inverted. Is this a problem?
                I'm experiencing a weird behaviour in the generation of the probes, using "Uniform Floor" as placement strategy, could the two issues be linked?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Phonon Probe Volumes and Probes placement

                  As concerns probes placement, as reported in a previous post I'm experiencing some unexpected behaviour:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1128407
                  In this case probes get placed only in the central part of the volume (above a table in the scene)

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1128405
                  In this case they get placed outside the volume. Please note that this may be linked to the 45 deg rotation relative to the Z axis of the volume:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1128406
                  Last edited by xN31; 05-22-2017, 09:38 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by xN31 View Post
                    As concerns probes placement, as reported in a previous post I'm experiencing some unexpected behaviour:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]142021[/ATTACH]
                    In this case probes get placed only in the central part of the volume (above a table in the scene)

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]142015[/ATTACH]
                    In this case they get placed outside the volume. Please note that this may be linked to the 45 deg rotation relative to the Z axis of the volume:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]142016[/ATTACH]
                    At the moment, we only support axis-aligned volumes (no rotation). I figured at some point folks would try to align - will probably disable rotating the volume in the next release.

                    I'm not sure why your first situation would be happening. What do the other views look like (front, side), and is all geometry that we're looking at tagged and exported?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by xN31 View Post
                      On a different topic: checked out the generated .obj in blender and all or most of the normals seem to be inverted. Is this a problem?
                      I'm experiencing a weird behaviour in the generation of the probes, using "Uniform Floor" as placement strategy, could the two issues be linked?
                      We don't put restrictions on which way the normals face, so that should not be a problem.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by xN31 View Post
                        Also, talking about a different issue: Phonon Probe Volumes do not have collision settings as other Volumes and this may be a problem with trace interactions used in the VR template for teleporting. Would it be possible to change the collision preset for this object?
                        Can you be more specific? If you actually encounter this problem I'm happy to look into it.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
                          At the moment, we only support axis-aligned volumes (no rotation). I figured at some point folks would try to align - will probably disable rotating the volume in the next release.

                          I'm not sure why your first situation would be happening. What do the other views look like (front, side), and is all geometry that we're looking at tagged and exported?
                          Ok, I will try using volumes without rotation. If it can be useful I will PM you th e generated .obj for debugging, not all the geometry is tagged and exported, just floor, walls and the table.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
                            Can you be more specific? If you actually encounter this problem I'm happy to look into it.

                            Re: Phonon Probe Volumes and trace interactions

                            In general, if you use raycasts (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ts/Blueprints/) to find intersections with the scene's static objects (e.g. using the node LineTraceForObjects) you may want to pass as objects the type "WorldStatic", because this is the default object type for all static objects.

                            Since some volumes by default are WorldStatic too (e.g.NavMeshBoundVolume), if you don't change the collision preset for the volume to NoCollision or to Custom + a different Object Type inside this volume the LineTraceForObjects would not work because it would always intersect with the volume. This is for example the case for the "teleportation" raycast used in the VR template.

                            The Phonon Probe Volumes seem to be WorldStatic too, and do not allow at the moment to change object type or collision preset (so at the moment the only solution is to change the object type of all the other objects in the scene). Please let me know if you need more specific details, or let me know if I am missing something obvious

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by xN31 View Post
                              So, using raycast. Did some more testing:
                              - Object A is a blueprint with a static mesh which plays a sound each time the object collides with something. I've tried using "Play sound at Location", "Spawn Sound at Location" and "Spawn Sound Attached", setting in any case the same attenuation (which includes steam occlusions). Occlusions do not seem to work properly (I hear the object hitting even when behind other objects)
                              - Object B is a similar blueprint, but with also an audio component attached with a looping sound (same attenuation). Looping sound works fine with occlusions, bump sounds no (e.g. throw the object, stop hearing the looping sound and then hear the bump)

                              Any idea why?

                              Also, when the looping sound is occluded, it gets completely muted even if I enable indirect sounds (e.g. add a real time reverb). Is this something expected?
                              [MENTION=655292]freeman_valve[/MENTION] Any feedback about this?

                              Should sounds played with "Play sound at Location", "Spawn Sound at Location" or "Spawn Sound Attached" be affected by occlusion too?

                              Does an occluded sound have any indirect contribution or occlusion blocks both direct and indirect components?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by xN31 View Post
                                Re: Phonon Probe Volumes and trace interactions

                                In general, if you use raycasts (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ts/Blueprints/) to find intersections with the scene's static objects (e.g. using the node LineTraceForObjects) you may want to pass as objects the type "WorldStatic", because this is the default object type for all static objects.

                                Since some volumes by default are WorldStatic too (e.g.NavMeshBoundVolume), if you don't change the collision preset for the volume to NoCollision or to Custom + a different Object Type inside this volume the LineTraceForObjects would not work because it would always intersect with the volume. This is for example the case for the "teleportation" raycast used in the VR template.

                                The Phonon Probe Volumes seem to be WorldStatic too, and do not allow at the moment to change object type or collision preset (so at the moment the only solution is to change the object type of all the other objects in the scene). Please let me know if you need more specific details, or let me know if I am missing something obvious
                                Okay - great - I'll take a look at this for 4.17. Thanks!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X