Why I think Lightmass is completely out of Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
    But what octane is giving unity and ue4 is a progressive renderer to replace lightmass to bake lightmaps. If you've used vray before they introduced their progressive renderer you'd know how big of a deal it was. I think it came with version 3.0. Corona is a progressive render too. Lightmaps generation with lightmass is too unpredictable and you cannot have a decent preview (for archviz, that means we won't have to make 56 test bakes until we like what we see). Of course if you are making a game it's not the same requirements. Octane is not going to be a new real-time renderer. It will be a new offline renderer within the game editor. It's a new complimentary tool. It could've been just an offline renderer to make nicer stills, panos, etc. but on top of that it will be able to bake lightmaps.

Lightmass was intended for gaming and it's enough for that purpose. But like it or not ue4 is starting to get traction in other industries and they have different needs :-) It's a matter of time until a better offline renderer/baking system will be implemented.

This is what progressive lightmap baking looks like, tell me it's not better than lightmass where you can sit there for hours and have no clue what your shadows will look like once done :
    This is from 2014.

https://imgtec.com/wp-content/upload...-editor-s1.gif

***Read this post on reddit, Otoy confirm ue4 path tracer is in development. This is what it looks like. Instant High quality preview before baking high quality lightmaps.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comm...erender_unity/

This looks good but we have to wait and see if it really is better or if it just has other problems. Also we need to see how the renderer works once you put 300.000 vert vray assets in the scene . Does it support real time at all? It's good to have an instant preview but do be honest I think I would go mental if I had to work with this feature.

I don't agree that light mass is very slow. It is only slow if you change certain settings. A preview build takes a lot less time and it will give you a good impression of what the production render will be.
    www.s-dot.de/viz
    ArchViz User Interface :: UE4 Marketplace.

Comment

I think "realtime GI solutions" is not main subject. We have to talk about new renderer. I totally agree with netfrag-sam's suggestions. Lightmass calculation and quality, swarm distribution methods look old fashioned and time consuming. I tested network rendering for swarm and it is really useless. Cores does not work together. You can not use your cores efficiently . As netfrag-sam said before that one core has a job and another cores wait in vain. Unreal team must write new renderer in short term, maybe in UE5.
      Here is my basic tutorials for SketchUp to Unreal.

SketchUp to Unreal Engine Tutorials

Comment

Looks like Otoy will beat epic at this race...

Comment

I agree that it's frustrating to have to wait sometimes double the entire bake time for one or two threads to finish up, would be great to have them all work at 100% together to get the job done as fast as possible!
          ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

Comment

Redshift for Unreal Would be awezome.
            System
            ASUS ROG Maximus IX Forumla - ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - G.Skill RGB 16GB, Samsung M2 500GB

ArtStation
            Artwork thread

Comment

I don't think you understood my post about VRay. It has opened it's SDK. So anyone actually can buy it and make a plugin for lightbaking. You don't need realtime GI for ArchViz. You need good reliable baking solution. Which VRay is.

Comment

As someone who is developing GPULightmass, I'd like to point out that most of Lightmass's light leaking, blur shadows are not caused by Photon Mapping, but Irradiance Caching. Try to turn off bAllowIrradianceCaching (this would make Lightmass even slower) and you will get sharp shadows, along with a lot of noise. :P

Comment

Working...
                X