Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraid View Post
    Just a quick note:
    you can turn the polygon selection of the grid invisible, which also applies to the UV polygons in UV edit.
    It'll still snap the vertics to the grid.

One thing you need to pay attention to is the way you remove the UV Grid model.
    In worst case it'll destroy your whole UV layout by reassigning UVs.
    The whole Layout will look the same, but the UV polygons were assigned to other polygons.

Had that issue when i was testing this approach a while ago, which made me ditch that idea completly.

Obviously i did something wrong then, because in my new test a few minutes ago it worked as intended.
    So is it a viable solution? Glad to hear that.
    And thank for the tip for making the grid invisible!

Regarding the issue you had in the past, might be it caused by a wrong stack order of your meshes in the objects manager? When you're going to "connect the objects", the points of the bottom mesh (in the obj manager) are going to be added up to the ones of the upper mesh in the object manager (you can easily check it by having a look at the structure tab that shows points information).

So I guess it's important to have our Plane\reference_grid underneath our main model in the obj manager, so that when we erase the plane, no shift in the point structure is going to occur, because we erased only the very last points of the structure.
    I didn't experiment this latter part because I'm lazy, but it does make sense to me.
    Last edited by Alan Wolf; 02-14-2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Hello, for transfer from EU4 to C4d I go through blender .

My workflow :

I export to FBX in C4D ( with my two UV channels) in FBX 2014

I open in blender and I just self rule smooth 60

I export to FBX and I open in EU4

Résulat smooth and 2 uv map

I try every alternative that does not really work

Regards,

Comment

The fbx exporter in blender might be more compatible with UE4 or at least doesn't trigger the smoothing group issue message.

But with the right export settings you can go directly from C4D to UE4 and preserve all UVs material selections and smoothing.
        The smoothing group issues message will still appear, but if you selected "import normals and tangents" in the import dialog,
        the smoothing will still be correct.

BTW: self rule smooth 60° might work for many models, but sometimes you want hard edges on certain parts that are less then 60°
        and other parts of the same model shall stay smoothed even if they are above 60°.

So it's always better to do the smoothing manually with using the phong angle/self rule smooth only as a start.

My workflow in C4D is to determin a phong angle that is suitable for most parts, usually the default 80° works best.
        Then i go in and fix smoothing for the parts where it doesn't work out, using tools like loop selection and phongbreak selection in edge mode.

On the second tool I often use the ignore phong tag option and set the value manually till the blue lines match what i intended to select.
        Once everything is selected, i use the break phongshading command.

Now i prepear for exporting. This means triangulating the mesh, eventually using the turn edges command on a few edges and then
        applying a normal Tag using the Vertex Normal tool.

If you have the commercial version of VNT, you can also do a lot of crazy Vertex Normal manipulating stuff,
        that is at least a lot harder to achive with the free lite version.
        Especially the "steal normals" command makes it much easier to straighten out the shading on cylinder shapes.

Examples of Vertex editing:

on the right: the mesh after triangulation, on the left: mesh with fixed vertex normals, stolen from an untriangulated version of this mesh.

you can also do rounded corners with that tool
        The vertex count of this cube is the same as the vertex count of a cube without bevel but with phong breaks.
        Because the shading breaks are achived by splitting the vertex points.
        So a mesh that has exactly the same vertex count but doesn't require a normalmap for rounded edges, sounds very good to me.

BTW: i'd really recomend VNT and Pixelberg to every 3d Game Artist working with C4D.
        Pixelberg is like having Marmorset inside C4D.
        Last edited by kraid; 02-26-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I've always said that the CGI community is the most helpful/generous.....thanks for the info you guys have been posting on my post.

Comment

Hello , Kraid

I tried following your instruction , but I can not have a good result. Could do a video showing your tutoril worklow with a simple rounded Cude

Best regards,

Comment

So, been busy putting the advice given here to good use and happy with results, but I do have one issue. I've noticed parts of my imported models from CGaxis and evermotion look strange as shown in the images. Any idea what causes this and how to fix. I am using UE4.11.

CheersClick image for larger version

Name:	Capture-1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	1102710Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1102711

Comment

Looks like Lightmap issues.

I bet you're using very highpoly meshes and the lightmap UVs are created by Unreal on Import.

Comment

Hi Kraid, not sure matey :-)

I'm using various mods I've purchased over the years from evermotion, CG axis etc that have no issues in vrayforc4d. I export them as FBX from c4d and import them in to UE4. Maybe I'm missing something on import?

Comment

Realtime rendering with pre-baked lighting cannot be compared to raytraced rendering.
                    Something that looks ok in Vray doesn't have to look good in UE4, too.

UE4 by default is using textures to store pre-baked light and shadows.

This so called lightmap is created based on a second UV layer that can have a completly different layout
                    then the first one used for the texture of the mesh.

These lightmap UV layouts follow a different set of rules then the UV Layout for the mesh texture.
                    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ing/index.html

Comment

Working...
                    X