UE4.11 preview 1 - Rendering Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandermer View Post
    Thats a cool comparison, and youre right as in most cases you wont see a big difference, but what I mainly use the higher indirect lighting values for is to solve lightmap transitions from one surface to another.
    I have attached a picture to demonstrate it. In this case I had a lighting seam between 2 floor meshes, and by using a higher Indirect Lighting value I was able to smooth this out.
    It's worth noting, that it's probably quicker to merge meshes to avoid seams like this, than increasing your baking time. Or designing your textures/meshes in ways that seams like this wouldn't be noticeable. Like if that seam was at the seam between two boards on a wood floor texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Mentholblue View Post
      tupikp, why specifically 64 bounces in your scene?
      Programmer's habit I guess. I tend to automatically pick up power of 2 numbers, such as 2, 4, 16, 32, etc.
      Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

bathroom5 by simfactor, on Flickr

Out of curiosity I built the lighting of the same scene (picture above, without changing any parameters at all) three times. I was under assumption that the build time would be the same through out the test. However, the result is really really unexpected. Here it is:

First build time : 14:42 minutes
        Second build time : 15:28 minutes
        Third build time : 22:18 minutes

This test was conducted using UE4.11 preview 3 and no parameters/values were changed between the test.

So the first question that came up to my mind was: Is this a bug?
        Last edited by tupikp; 01-20-2016, 09:04 PM. Reason: adding screenshot of the scene

Comment

Originally posted by tupikp View Post
          Out of curiosity I built the lighting of the same scene (without changing any parameters at all) three times. I was under assumption that the build time would be the same through out the test. However, the result is really really unexpected. Here it is:

This test was conducted using UE4.11 preview 3 and no parameters/values were changed between the test.

I also experienced this, building light in UE4.11 preview 3 take a lot more time than preview 1 ...

Comment

Originally posted by tupikp View Post
            Out of curiosity I built the lighting of the same scene (without changing any parameters at all) three times. I was under assumption that the build time would be the same through out the test. However, the result is really really unexpected. Here it is:

From my experience I always turn off my computer and restart it after about a minute to make sure it is completely fresh and has all available power to render. Did you try that as sometimes running lots of apps before rendering can slow things down. I'm not a computer nerd but I have noticed this.

Comment

There were no apps running in background other than Epic Launcher. As far as I know, Epic Launcher after a while can become a resource hog, eating your precious CPU power and RAM without warning while doing absolutely nothing. Maybe I'll do another test but with no Epic Launcher in the background. And maybe I'll do the same test with other version of UE4.
              Last edited by tupikp; 01-20-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

ILQ 1 looks better for me bit darker but nothing you wouldnt tweak with post process volume. And building time. Honestly - the choice is easy

Comment

Working...
                X