Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

User poll: How much time you spend working with Unreal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User poll: How much time you spend working with Unreal?

Hi all,

I was thinking that it could be interesting for all of us to compare the work-rate depending on our experience with UE to see how fast we actually get things done with Unreal.
    I hope that UE users with experience in architectural visualizations can give input to see how much time we actually spend on creating and adjusting building models in UE.

So.. in order to compare our work-rate it is best to set some criteria,
    lets take a 2-bedroom apartment as in the image below as an example and say that our expected outcome is model that can be used for real-time interaction but does not have to be completely photo realistic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb.png
Views:	1
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	1167982

In one of the recent posts student called Gilberto Martini had posted his work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1BU...ature=youtu.be
    Let's take this level of detail as a benchmark and look at this 2-room apartment from the first image.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-05 at 21.54.28.png
Views:	1
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	1167984

So the question is.. how many hours/days would it require from you to create a walkthrough model in Unreal for such an apartment?

Of course we all understand that the more time you spend on improving the textures and lighting the more realistic the final model will get.
    Maybe we can also elaborate on what is the most time-consuming part (lighting, material textures etc.)
    It would also be interesting to know how much extra time would it take to make it photo-realistic?
    Would be great if you could mention your previous experience level (what software and how many years)

Looking forward to hear from users of all experience level,

I hope this information turns out to be really useful to many of us

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Less than 5 hours
    7.14%
    5-10 hours
    21.43%
    10-15 hours
    21.43%
    15-20 hours
    14.29%
    20-30 hours
    7.14%
    30-35 hours
    7.14%
    35-40 hours
    0%
    40-45 hours
    7.14%
    50-60 hours
    14.29%
    other - explained in comments
    0%

I would say lighting is the most time consuming part
    Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

Hi everyone,

thanx Janber for this poll, I find it really useful and I hope everyone involved in archviz will reply.
      I have been working for many years with 3ds Max and Vray, AutoCAD, Blender and Photoshop among others.
      I voted considering the following:
      - the whole model is ready to import in UE4 (maybe need just some little adjustments)
      - Basic walkthrough (no menus, no particular coding or blueprinting)
      - When I have to sell this kind of service to a client, I prefer to consider a little bit more extra time than the hours I really need, and then do it in less

Hope everything is clear.

Cheers

FDArt
      www.about.me/fdart
      Last edited by Skypper; 12-06-2015, 06:02 AM.
      FDArt
      www.about.me/fdart

Comment

Originally posted by tupikp View Post
        I would say lighting is the most time consuming part
        As a reference I am doing a small apartment scene and spent about 10 hours on importing the building shell and lighting the space. If you have all of your other assets, furniture etc. uv and lightmapped it should go rather quickly after that.

Comment

Depends. If I had to go from nothing (no assets, modelling everything), 35-40 hours. If I could use pre-built assets, less than 4 hours. Build times (lighting) is something else though. If I was using my home machine, it would take about 4-8 hours in itself. If I was using a network rendering then that would take far less time.
          WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
          World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
          WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

I worked easily 40 +/- hours on my first project I just released. The lighting was the hardest part. Not light leaks, not bad UV mapping. I know how to do all of that. It was literally getting the lighting to look realistic. The modeling took 10 hours and texturing took about another 5 hours, the setup and blueprints (interactive objects) took around 10. The rest went into lighting. If I had like an asset pack and only had to build the structure in 3ds max ( I don't like BSP's), then maybe 6-10 hours.

Comment

Working...
            X