Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presenting your VR projects to clients?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Presenting your VR projects to clients?

    What is the consensus among board members on sharing your VR projects with remote clients? I read web streaming is out, I'm curious about what everyone has decided is the best solution?

    #2
    It depends on the level of security you need/want for your clients. You could go with an MMO style, where you email the client a launcher file (usually small enough), when they enter in their credentials, it authenticates on your customer database and then installs the necessary files. After that, it launches.
    WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
    World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
    WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by SaviorNT View Post
      It depends on the level of security you need/want for your clients. You could go with an MMO style, where you email the client a launcher file (usually small enough), when they enter in their credentials, it authenticates on your customer database and then installs the necessary files. After that, it launches.
      Do they need UE4 or is it self contained? I'm new to sharing projects as I'm still learning to use the software. And what is a MMO? :O

      Comment


        #5
        Okay and thanks!

        Comment


          #6
          One thing to mention since I couldn't since I was on my phone which died, is that while you'll be looking at the entire template, only use it for the user authentication and patch/download part of it. You won't be designing a full "MMO".

          Basically, the flowchart would be:

          Backend:
          - Set up user (client) account. Username, password, simulation title, description, (other fields), download link

          User(Client) Facing:

          They run the launcher, and put in their username and password. The launcher then downloads and installs the "game". At that point, everything is on their local machine.

          I would suggest tying in a machine spec check to make sure that the client is running the necessary hardware. If they're not, then a dialogue box comes up and warns the user/client that they are not using a powerful enough machine.


          --------

          Or another way (easier for 1 shot deals), is to create the simulation/game/whatever you want to call it, package it and upload to google drive, get the download link, and then send them the link to download Of course though, that isn't exactly "professional".
          WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
          World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
          WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by SaviorNT View Post
            One thing to mention since I couldn't since I was on my phone which died, is that while you'll be looking at the entire template, only use it for the user authentication and patch/download part of it. You won't be designing a full "MMO".

            Basically, the flowchart would be:

            Backend:
            - Set up user (client) account. Username, password, simulation title, description, (other fields), download link

            User(Client) Facing:

            They run the launcher, and put in their username and password. The launcher then downloads and installs the "game". At that point, everything is on their local machine.

            I would suggest tying in a machine spec check to make sure that the client is running the necessary hardware. If they're not, then a dialogue box comes up and warns the user/client that they are not using a powerful enough machine.


            --------

            Or another way (easier for 1 shot deals), is to create the simulation/game/whatever you want to call it, package it and upload to google drive, get the download link, and then send them the link to download Of course though, that isn't exactly "professional".
            Great info thank you!

            Comment


              #8
              I think Ri3dviz was talking about a good way to present VR hardware-wise...not software-wise...Am I right?

              Software-wise...you just send a .exe of the project... what's the problem here?

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
                I think Ri3dviz was talking about a good way to present VR hardware-wise...not software-wise...Am I right?

                Software-wise...you just send a .exe of the project... what's the problem here?
                I had a client request a VR experience for his client who isn't local, he wanted it to be a web based solution but reading through the forums I saw that isn't something that works right now so I was wondering what other solutions there are.

                I'm thinking to factor in the cost of a tablet into fees and just send them a tablet with the project on it similar to the bathroom project that was posted here on the forums that was running on a tablet.
                Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 12-02-2015, 10:11 AM.

                Comment


                  #10
                  Does this mean we can stream or projects on the web for VR? I'm not very technical. :O

                  http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...lF&ocid=LENDHP

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by RI3DVIZ View Post
                    Does this mean we can stream or projects on the web for VR? I'm not very technical. :O

                    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...lF&ocid=LENDHP
                    No.

                    The best bet is to send the client the packaged executable. It shouldn't be that big to need to get fancy.
                    WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
                    World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
                    WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Okay, thanks again. I was hopeful there was a solution to streaming on the web.

                      Comment


                        #13
                        Originally posted by RI3DVIZ View Post
                        Okay, thanks again. I was hopeful there was a solution to streaming on the web.

                        Does your client have a Gear VR or rift? Or you were talking more of a realtime app? If your client has a rift, good chance he has a decent gpu to run your .exe!!!

                        The closest thing you could do, that would run on mobile, is a 360 pano that works well with the phone's gyroscope. As you can see here http://littlstar.com/photos/d856ba1a

                        It could even be in stereo mode for gear vr on mobile if you do it with vray (not sure if blender can generate stereoscopic render)
                        Last edited by heartlessphil; 12-02-2015, 05:32 PM.

                        Comment


                          #14
                          I think it's a bit complicated (certification process) but if we could build for xbox one /ps4 it could be a nice solution. That hardware is very common, it's cheap... not sure if there will be many vr helmet for consoles yet, tho!

                          I mean the Rift will come with a xbox one gamepad when you buy it. I guess it will at least work on xbox / win10 since Microsoft kinda already want to merge all windows platforms in the future!
                          Last edited by heartlessphil; 12-02-2015, 05:27 PM.

                          Comment


                            #15
                            I've only started testing the service but I've had some success sharing a project using x.io. Below is a screenshot running off their servers in chrome.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	x-io (Medium).png
Views:	1
Size:	813.3 KB
ID:	1094382
                            Attached Files

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X