BaseLightmass.ini - A Summary From Various Posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I am also wondering how everyone uses autoexposure and other post process settings? I also get really dark results even with 4.18 and the multi sky light bounce. Any info would be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=12653]rafareis123[/MENTION] you are a stunner as usual :-) looking forward for your article. Still getting really dark results using skylight only, shall I relay on autoexposure to compensate? Your works are literally full of light

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Haskellf View Post
    [MENTION=59633]tupikp[/MENTION] I come from a feature film background, so realism and stylized renders are my preference. I am slowly transitioning from a Renderman, Vray and ClarisseIFX pipeline to that of UE4. It is great discovering the innards of the .ini files as it gives me greater control over the quality vs performance. Yes, performance is not a huge factor right now, but it will be when VR is put into the mix. For now, I have been reading through all the forum threads and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.
    I would be interested as to what workflow you are using in regards to Arch Viz? Are you using DFGI with DFAO and Raytraced DF or are you mixing Lightmaps with Dynamic lights? Is it even possible to mix Lightmaps with DFAO and raytraced DF? I haven't tried it but that is my next test on my list.
    There are so many variations and I am just trying to narrow down the most realistic workflow without confusing myself, but UE4 does hold a lot of promise for realtime rendering.
    I think you should start a new thread with that question, the last thread we had about Lightmass and settings went way off the rails and I personally would like this thread to stay strictly on Lightmass settings and the .ini file.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=59633]tupikp[/MENTION] I come from a feature film background, so realism and stylized renders are my preference. I am slowly transitioning from a Renderman, Vray and ClarisseIFX pipeline to that of UE4. It is great discovering the innards of the .ini files as it gives me greater control over the quality vs performance. Yes, performance is not a huge factor right now, but it will be when VR is put into the mix. For now, I have been reading through all the forum threads and trying to gain as much knowledge as possible.
    I would be interested as to what workflow you are using in regards to Arch Viz? Are you using DFGI with DFAO and Raytraced DF or are you mixing Lightmaps with Dynamic lights? Is it even possible to mix Lightmaps with DFAO and raytraced DF? I haven't tried it but that is my next test on my list.
    There are so many variations and I am just trying to narrow down the most realistic workflow without confusing myself, but UE4 does hold a lot of promise for realtime rendering.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=12653]rafareis123[/MENTION] Fantastic work! Could you briefly describe your method? Are you using a hybrid of Lightmaps with dynamic shadows or is this all Raytraced Distance Fields, DFAO and DFGI?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=182935]Haskellf[/MENTION] Sorry for the late reply. Actually, I stop messing with .ini file since UE 4.11 preview 1. UE4.11 lightmass and the introduction of light portal is good enough for me to avoid the lighting problem commonly found in previous version of UE4s. I admit that I usually don't go after 100% photo-realistic scenes though. When clients are happy with the scene (even when it's not 100% photo-realistic), then I just stop changing the lighting and/or lightmass settings.

It really doesn't hurt if people still experimenting with the .ini file, since the default values in the file are targeting good performance instead of excellent visuals.

[MENTION=12653]rafareis123[/MENTION] Wow! That's just... wow!
    Last edited by tupikp; 04-26-2016, 07:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
    Hey guys. With 4.11 version, a lot things has changed. Please don't use my past tests as reference point. I'm going to write a new article about it soon.
    That's great to hear. Looking forward to read your article.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys. With 4.11 version, a lot things has changed. Please don't use my past tests as reference point. I'm going to write a new article about it soon.

Building time : about 40-50 minutes
    Running at 180 FPS on a Geforce 980 ti
    That's beautiful man! Great work.

Leave a comment:

• replied

My latest work using 4.11 with lighting portals

Building time : about 40-50 minutes
    Running at 180 FPS on a Geforce 980 ti

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SchnitzelDude View Post
    I totally disagree with you. People should learn what the values are doing. Even Koola didn't know what the values are doing. But since he only created scenes, it was okay to just maximize the numbers.

Just copying numbers shouldn't be the right thing to do.
    That's okay if people want to learn what the values are doing some of us just want to get our work done as quickly as possible. It won't hurt anyone wanting to learn if the .ini file is available.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RI3DVIZ View Post
    We should have a sticky post where people can download the actual revised .ini file from say Koola, Raghu, etc. for the latest version of UE4. It takes too long to decipher all the random info on the subject.
    I totally disagree with you. People should learn what the values are doing. Even Koola didn't know what the values are doing. But since he only created scenes, it was okay to just maximize the numbers.

Just copying numbers shouldn't be the right thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We should have a sticky post where people can download the actual revised .ini file from say Koola, Raghu, etc. for the latest version of UE4. It takes too long to decipher all the random info on the subject.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [MENTION=59633]tupikp[/MENTION] Very good reference. Thanks for compiling this together. Do you have any updates for 4.11.2 since your last post?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons and IndirectPhotonSearchDistance

The latest finding by Raghu about Koola and Rafaeris123 test result was this:

- NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=1000
    I'm guessing this variable is to define number of photons used for irradiance calculation. Default value is 400 and according to comment inside BaseLightmass.ini: "400 gives a smooth enough result without requiring a very large search".

- IndirectPhotonSearchDistance=1000
    I'm guessing this value is in Unreal unit (which is 1uu = 1cm). So in this case 1000uu = 1000cm = 10m. If my guess is true, then values more than 1000 is used for very large areas only. The default value is 200 (2m). What this variable do? Again I'm guessing this var is to define max distance to search for nearby photons.
    Last edited by tupikp; 11-06-2015, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is the samples that was provided by Rafareis123 and Koola using Raghu's second test scene. They also provided their settings to achieve the result.

Unfortunately I'm not having time to finish the article in the next few days, but I will.
    So this is my final settings.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64509[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64510[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64511[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64512[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]64513[/ATTACH]

Preset Quality = MEDIUM

EDITOR
    Static Lighting Level=0.15
    Num Indirect Lighting=20
    Indirect Lighting Quality=10
    Indirect Lighting Smoothness=1.2

BaseLightmass.ini
    NumHemisphereSamples=256
    NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=4096
    DirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=1024
    IndirectPhotonDensity=20000
    IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=16000
    IndirectPhotonSearchDistance=180
    Originally posted by koola View Post
    A new test with Raghu scene :

10 min on a I7-3770K.
    I took into account the explanations of DanielW.

Editor :

Lighting Quality : Production
    Static Lighting Level=0.2
    Num Indirect Lighting=100
    Indirect Lighting Quality=1
    Indirect Lighting Smoothness=1

BaseLightmass.ini :

[DevOptions.PhotonMapping]
    NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=2000
    IndirectPhotonSearchDistance=1000

[DevOptions.StaticLightingProductionQuality]
    NumHemisphereSamplesScale=100
    NumDirectPhotonsScale=1
    NumIndirectPhotonsScale=1
    NumIndirectIrradiancePhotonsScale=1
    AdaptiveBrightnessThresholdScale=.01

This is a lot faster than anything I tested so far.
    (Depending of the scene and without the futur "skylight portal", the NumHemisphereSamplesScale may need to be increase even more)

PS : Please, can someone at Epic do something for the really ugly temporalAA implemeted in 4.9 (I try 4.10 preview and it's the same thing).
    Last edited by tupikp; 11-06-2015, 08:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X