Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh nice! Portal Lights- sweet, can't wait for the public implementation. great work Daniel-

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
    Early Portal results

Original (StaticLightingScale .1, Production, IndirectLightingQuality 1). Took 30s to build.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]63883[/ATTACH]

Portal setup
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]63882[/ATTACH]

With portals, IndirectLightingQuality still set to 1! Took 90s.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]63884[/ATTACH]

The portals don't change the brightness, they just tell Lightmass where to look closely for lighting. In this case with all the skylight coming in small holes they make a big difference. In a more open scene they wouldn't be any good because the openings to the sky are large.
    environment artist | VR Dev
    serriffe.com

Comment

I've just built my whole 2000+ meshes scene in 59 mins by reducing the scale to .4 (lightmaps res 1024) and leave indirect lighting quality to 1. Previous attempt with quality 6 and scale .15 took 16 hours. (with lightmaps of 256). Stunning. It looks way better now and took 1/16th of the time!
      Last edited by heartlessphil; 11-01-2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas3D View Post
        Here are some tests, settings are from MSL message but:
        Added a sunlight ( intensity 6, indirect lighting 3 )
        Skylight ( intensity 0.5, indirect lighting 3 )
        Post process tweaks: enable GI with a value of 3

Render time: 2:03 hours on Production

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64131[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]64132[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]64133[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]64134[/ATTACH]
        @Nicolas3D : What I have observed is, if we are using other lights along with Skylight we don't need the high Photon Density(Direct as well as Indirect). Increasing the Photon Density, increases the build time by the factor of amount of increase from default value(400).

@DanielW : Please correct me if I am wrong.

In your scene, you can get the same quality with the following settings with reduction of build time by around 60%:

Use default BaseLightMass.ini with only NumHemisphereSamplesScale > 64

Static Lighting Level Scale: 1
        Num Indirect Lighting Bounces: 100
        Indirect Lighting Quality: 10
        Indirect Lighting Smoothness: 1

You can play with Indirect Light Intensity of SkyLight and Directional Light to get this quality with much faster Build time.

@heartlessphil: It took around 40 mins for light build. Also I have observed that these values differ substantially depending on scene. If scene has lot of closed space, as in case of Interiors, it is very difficult to get good lighting with only Skylight even with lot of changes in BaseLightMass.ini.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

I was about to build the scene with NumHemisphereSamplesScale > 400 at Medium quality, but I notice that the build time was incredibly slow, so I guess I'll try a lower value for that.

@heartlessphil: based on Rafareis reply and by some tests the scale is what gives you the soft shadow details from large/small objects and it makes quite the difference, and of course it increase the build time, not entirely sure how much since I mixed the values between tests.
          With 0.15/0.25 the shadows quality is really good, but the value also depends on the scene itself and the degree of detail you want.

@DanielW: Are portals going to be included in a release soon?
          ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

great test !!

thanks all
            Tcimage3d Studio
            Unreal Artist & Developer in archi & interior Visual
            Real Estate VR Tutor: http://tcimage3d.wixsite.com/3dvr

Request a quote today:tcimage3d@gmail.com
            Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TCimage/

Comment

Just a quick question: Where can I see how long my build time is? Are you guys sitting next to your computer for 4 hours or is there a timestamp somewhere? Thank you!

Comment

In the Output Log. (window->dev tools->output log)
                Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

Originally posted by on3studio View Post
                  Just a quick question: Where can I see how long my build time is? Are you guys sitting next to your computer for 4 hours or is there a timestamp somewhere? Thank you!
                  Open up Swarm Agent. Go to "Log" tab. You will get all details.

Comment

Just weighing in on this badboy (awesome thread, gutted I didn't find it sooner).

One major improvement I'd like to see to lightmass is an improvement to the map processing. Currently it's not possible to divide a single texture up across multiple threads, so build times are always capped at the largest lightmap resolution you have in the scene (usually anyway), and only one thread can do that work while the rest are doing nothing. Something similar to xNormals method where lightmaps are processed one-by-one and split accross all the threads might make lightmass significantly faster. I would have a pop at it myself if I had the first clue where to start, but this is probably one for the rendering team anyway.

Comment

Very nice suggestion. I too feel it would be great if it becomes reality of using all core to distribute the baking of lightmass.
                      CHECK OUT:- Visit https://3darchstuffs.com/ for Unreal arch-viz tutorials, Unreal Demo EXE and Unreal projects with source files.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...X3Sm2Z9NXEHFV9

Comment

...or ability to choose number of cores, so one can surf/whatever while lightmass is calculating... just a thought... ;-)

Comment

Fantastic results from the portal lights.

I see the suggestion here is to use uncompressed lightmaps. Doing that I also found the quality higher, esp. when larger surfaces considered. But using a lof of 512/1024px maps, this seem to facilitate higher memory usage and thus lightmaps mip-mapping.
                          Which shouldn't be a problem with 12gb vram of Titan-X, but I couldn't stop this process by changing all .ini files I found on internet. No matter if I set shadow/lightmap mip-maping to 0/false, or rised value for memory pools, both in project and general folders, etc.. it would always mip-map those lightmaps,
                          which is just visually horrible. Anyone with similar issue got this solved ?

Comment

Daniel when you have a chance can you clear up some of these parameters that are being tweaked - it's a whole lot of stabbing in the dark from what I see.
                            I did my best in post #8, I don't have a better explanation than that =) I know ideal would be images and comparisons to explain each one but I don't have time for that.

@Nicolas3D : What I have observed is, if we are using other lights along with Skylight we don't need the high Photon Density(Direct as well as Indirect).
                            Skylights shouldn't interfere with other light's indirect lighting. So if you need to jack up photon density for some reason, introducing a skylight will not change that.

Increasing the Photon Density, increases the build time by the factor of amount of increase from default value(400).
                            Increasing photon density will only increase the photon emission part of the build by that factor. Photon emitting is usually 15% of a build, so you can raise it quite a bit before doubling your build time. Look at the stages in the swarm visualizer or the swarm log stats once a build completes. In contrast, NumHemisphereSamples and StaticLightingLevelScale are probably the quickest way to increase your build time.

@DanielW: Are portals going to be included in a release soon?
                            Well they still only exist on my computer so... Realistically it will be 4 months before any code change I make today will make it into a released build. Of course you can build latest directly from github (once it's checked in), but that tends to be very unstable.

Comment

One major improvement I'd like to see to lightmass is an improvement to the map processing. Currently it's not possible to divide a single texture up across multiple threads, so build times are always capped at the largest lightmap resolution you have in the scene (usually anyway), and only one thread can do that work while the rest are doing nothing.
                              That was true in UE3 lightmass, but it's been improved in UE4 lightmass. Specifically, the final gather is split into tasks of 128^2 and distributed to any threads that are idle. The largest lightmap component will still be the bottleneck, but your CPU is better utilized during it. This makes the biggest difference in small scenes where you are going for high quality, so there aren't enough components to keep all threads busy. This is done in FStaticLightingSystem::CalculateIndirectLightingTextureMapping in code.

Now, there are still other parts of lightmass work for a simple component's lightmap that could be multithreaded better - specifically area shadows.

...or ability to choose number of cores, so one can surf/whatever while lightmass is calculating... just a thought... ;-)
                              This can be set in Swarm agent settings. You can bring up the swarm agent by starting a lighting build once (in a tiny map, or just cancel it), then find the icon hidden in your taskbar and double click it.

Comment

Fantastic results from the portal lights.
                                Portal light is a bit of a misnomer, they're not lights as they do not emit light. 'Light portal' makes sense though.

Which shouldn't be a problem with 12gb vram of Titan-X, but I couldn't stop this process by changing all .ini files I found on internet. No matter if I set shadow/lightmap mip-maping to 0/false, or rised value for memory pools, both in project and general folders, etc.. it would always mip-map those lightmaps,
                                which is just visually horrible. Anyone with similar issue got this solved ?
                                Make sure you are on Epic scalability settings.

Texture streaming poolsize settings come from Engine/Config/DefaultScalability.ini

[TextureQuality@3]
                                r.Streaming.PoolSize=1000

You can also disable lightmap streaming in your project's DefaultEngine.ini. You have to rebuild lighting and resave after changing this. Here's the default (from Engine/Config/BaseEngine.ini)

[TextureStreaming]
                                AllowStreamingLightmaps=True
                                Last edited by DanielW; 11-02-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X