Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry i am a little bit confused,i know what a portal do,but what is the name of the portal in ue4?is that box reflection capture?

Comment

Originally posted by amir.pourshafi View Post
      sorry i am a little bit confused,i know what a portal do,but what is the name of the portal in ue4?is that box reflection capture?
      If you are asking to use it, it isn't in ue4 yet, I think that only DanielW (Unreal Engine Developer) has the portals and is teasing us.

Comment

And the next question would be when this portal will be released? Will this portal be released as part of UE 4.10 or as hot fix for UE 4.9?
        Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

It doesn't seem like the portals will be ready for general release for some time, as exciting as it would be to be able to use them.

Comment

Well atleast we know that behind Epic's doors they're working on a solution for us, how exciting! Together with that fact that @DanielW and Koola and Rafael are contributing to this epic discussion we should be hopeful!

Comment

Can anyone share the lightmass.ini with defaults? Somehow I lost my backup and can't remember all the defaults.
              Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie222 View Post
                Can anyone share the lightmass.ini with defaults? Somehow I lost my backup and can't remember all the defaults.
                There you go
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MSL View Post
                  Hi All,

I got much better results with following changes:
                  Static Lighting Level Scale: 1
                  Num Indirect Lighting Bounces: 50
                  Indirect Lighting Quality: 2
                  Indirect Lighting Smoothness: 1

BaseLightMass.ini
                  [DevOptions.ImportanceTracing]
                  NumHemisphereSamples=32

[DevOptions.PhotonMapping]
                  ; 400 gives a smooth enough result without requiring a very large search
                  NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=800
                  ; Allocating most final gather samples towards importance samples gives a good result as long as there are enough first bounce photons
                  FinalGatherImportanceSampleFraction=.8
                  DirectPhotonDensity=700
                  ; Same as DirectPhotonDensity, since currently direct photons are only used to create irradiance photons
                  DirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=700

[DevOptions.StaticLightingProductionQuality]
                  NumDirectPhotonsScale=10
                  ; Decrease direct photon search distance so that we will have more accurate shadow transitions. This requires a higher density of direct photons.
                  DirectPhotonSearchDistanceScale=.2

; Need a lot of indirect photons since we have increased the number of first bounce photons to use for final gathering with NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale
                  NumIndirectPhotonsScale=32
                  NumIndirectIrradiancePhotonsScale=4

My scene has Directional Light apart from Skylight:

I have cranked up Indirect Lighting Intensity to 5 for both.

Most of the artifacts including Light leaks are removed with these settings and Light building times are also at acceptable levels (My scene has lot of complex objects still it took around 50 mins to 1 hours).

Since, I did these experiments with commercial project that I am currently working on, I am not posting screenshots. I will try to post screenshots of Test Level everyone is using here.

P.S: These are not final values, I am still trying to figure out
                  Screenshots attached.

This is the scene has only sky Light and following settings:

Static Lighting Level Scale : 1
                  Num Indirect Lighting Bounces : 100
                  Indirect Lighting Quality : 10
                  Indirect Lighting Smoothness : 1

BaseLightMass.ini
                  [DevOptions.ImportanceTracing]
                  NumHemisphereSamples=32

[DevOptions.PhotonMapping]
                  ; 400 gives a smooth enough result without requiring a very large search
                  NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=800
                  ; Allocating most final gather samples towards importance samples gives a good result as long as there are enough first bounce photons
                  FinalGatherImportanceSampleFraction=.8
                  DirectPhotonDensity=1000
                  ; Same as DirectPhotonDensity, since currently direct photons are only used to create irradiance photons
                  DirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=1000
                  ; Need a very high indirect photon density since first bounce photons are used to guide the final gather
                  IndirectPhotonDensity=2000
                  IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=1500

[DevOptions.StaticLightingProductionQuality]
                  NumDirectPhotonsScale=10
                  ; Decrease direct photon search distance so that we will have more accurate shadow transitions. This requires a higher density of direct photons.
                  DirectPhotonSearchDistanceScale=.2

; Need a lot of indirect photons since we have increased the number of first bounce photons to use for final gathering with NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale
                  NumIndirectPhotonsScale=32
                  NumIndirectIrradiancePhotonsScale=4

Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00000.png
Views:	1
Size:	933.6 KB
ID:	1092374Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00001.png
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	1092375Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00002.png
Size:	918.3 KB
ID:	1092376Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00003.png
Size:	925.1 KB
ID:	1092377Click image for larger version

Name:	HighresScreenshot00004.png
Size:	943.5 KB
ID:	1092378

Strangely, the artifacts at the edges are present only in the screenshots but not in the Editor or in Game play mode.
                  Last edited by MSL; 11-01-2015, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you.

Those are not lighting artifacts. It's antialiasing issue caused by the fact that screenshot doesn't benefit of TXAA, as Heartlessphil discovered.
                    Portfolio

Comment

Interesting results MSL, build time for the scene?

Comment

I'm doing a bunch of test with the default ini.

I'm getting much better results with a low static lighting level scale (From .8 to .1) than any other settings. I'm even leaving lighting quality to 1, smoothness to 1, bounces to 10-20. I set my lightmaps res higher/uncompressed and I'm getting better results and faster!

Time to reconsider my old workflow I think. (for skylight-lit only scenes, at least).

Quick test for the indirect lighting quality alone. Lightmaps res are 1024, scale set to .4

Quality = 6 (4mins30sec build time)

Name:	quality6.jpg
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	1092390

Quality = 1 (1min32s build time)

Name:	quality 1.jpg
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	1092391

Not a huge difference imo. build time is a lot higher with 6 tho.

Static lighting level scale alone now (with indirect lighting quality set to 1)

Scale = 1 (1min13s build time)

Name:	scale1.jpg
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	1092392

Scale .4 (1min 32s build time)

Name:	scalepoin4.jpg
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	1092393

Scale .1 noticed the extruded lines on the walls receive some shadowing :-) 3mins19s build time tho.

Name:	scalepoin1.jpg
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	1092394

In this scene, it's clear that the best setting is the scale.
                        Last edited by heartlessphil; 11-01-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

This thread is getting muddier and muddier.

Daniel when you have a chance can you clear up some of these parameters that are being tweaked - it's a whole lot of stabbing in the dark from what I see.

Comment

I personally really like working with a directional sunlight combined with spotlight reflectors.
                            My current project is a apartment with multiple rooms, and by placing a spotlight reflector at each window it allows me to control the lighting per room which for me is a huge plus.
                            Of course it would be easier if placing one skylight would just correctly light a whole apartment, but at the moment it doesnt work like that.
                            My Porfolio

Comment

Here are some tests, settings are from MSL message but:
                              Added a sunlight ( intensity 6, indirect lighting 3 )
                              Skylight ( intensity 0.5, indirect lighting 3 )
                              Post process tweaks: enable GI with a value of 3

Render time: 2:03 hours on Production

Name:	01.JPG
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1092403

Name:	02.JPG
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1092404

Name:	03.JPG
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1092405

Name:	04.JPG
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1092406
                              ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

Awesome thread, lots of interesting stuff! I would also love to see those .ini settings exposed to the editor- perhaps under "advanced lighting" options to not confuse those who are just looking for the basic parameters! It's fine tweaking the .ini file manually, but it does get quite tedious and it would make the in editor settings feel much more complete if they were added!
                                ARTSTATION: https://www.artstation.com/artist/noisestorm

Comment

Working...
                                X