Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Does anyone have any suggestions for huge open floor plans in regards to lightmaps and resolution? Specifically, what is the best practice when dealing with a large floor that will receive direct shadows. Should I break apart the floor into multiple models and assign individual light maps & resolutions? I've had some trouble with shadow bleeding from panel to panel in the past when breaking apart floors and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I've attached an image of my current projects floor for reference (this model is straight from Revit so I still need to optimize the geometry)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1120719.
    Last edited by mistaFrench; 01-03-2017, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Forget about lightmass.ini. You tweak that when you master all the basics. Unfortunately tweaking the ini doesn't magically give good results, it only explode your render times.

You need to learn how to balance all your light sources. I usually start with only a hdr image (plain grey with a white spot to represent the sun) in the static skylight cubemap slot then I bake with medium-high settings. You'll get nice soft shadows. After that you can add a sun if you need it. I tend to prefer the ''studio'' light setup or overcast day light setup. Concerning fake lights, lamps, tracks lights, etc, I prefer to set them to dynamic because it won't produce any splotches and artifacts.

Good settings :
    -Use portals in openings. You can also add them in doorways inside the house.
    -Play with static lighting scale value. Below 1.0 if you want indirect soft shadows. I tend to use .2 to .4
    -Indirect lighting quality around 2-3 is usually enough if you have good lightmaps. You can use 6+ for the final production shot.

At the end I'll tweak the post process volume and/or finish in photoshop.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello guys,

i am trying to make a interior scene in unreal but it is not looking soo realistic, i would like if someone suggest me about its lighting.
    And i would like if someone guide me about baselightmass.ini.

i am attaching the screenshots of my project.

Thanks in advance.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	1120712

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	1120713

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lower hemisphere unchecked can be good to simulate a light bounce when you use all dynamic (movable) lights, otherwise leave it checked. When you are using static lighting, lightmass will calculate all light bounces, there's no reason to inject fake illumination coming from the ground imo. If it's too dark, instead, raise the hdri intensity. Somewhere between 1-10 is usually good.
    Last edited by heartlessphil; 11-25-2016, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZacD View Post
    Try the same scene with a lightmass portal and a pure white skylight (make sure Lower Hemisphere is Black is unchecked)
    Why "Lower Hemisphere is Black is unchecked"? Whenever i uncheck it, all scene is brighter and shadows are unrealistic. I think it damages realistic looking especially both interior and exterior scenes. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    heartlessphil
    I explore the extreme values)

can be reduced hemispheres scale \4 and get nice result.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    9 hours, what the hell lol! Looks good in theory but in practice it's not viable. Imagine baking a complex scene like that. You'd need a renderfarm.

Do you use lightmass portals + a custom ini? both would probably increase build time exponentially!
    Last edited by heartlessphil; 11-24-2016, 01:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Old scene:

Name:	iG4IONxbqD4.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	1118877

With Portals:

Name:	qm5du7S-JwM.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1118878

Leave a comment:

• replied
    heartlessphil, nice results because the light is scattered and comes from two directions, but shadows are black. The amount of bounces in world settings is only for lamps and sun.

i want to get lightmaps without artifacts)

Roadmap:

Name:	Tm9mE1E39hc.jpg
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	1118852

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You would not get nice results like that with 1 bounce. The amount of bounces is tweakable in your world settings -­ lightmass settings.

But 3h40 of light building for such a simple scene, your settings are off I think :-P
    Last edited by heartlessphil; 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ZacD, SkyLight have only 1 bounce?

SkyLight+HDRI Only
    Lightmass Portal

LMSize = 512
    Lighting = 3:39:23 hours
    Hemispheres = 16*64*4=4096

Name:	-gba6M5283Y.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1118826

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Try the same scene with a lightmass portal and a pure white skylight (make sure Lower Hemisphere is Black is unchecked)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Robbie222: plane and spot

Name:	6iyu5NddP6Y.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1118789

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What do you mean by softbox?

Leave a comment: