Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Kmcressey View Post
    EDIT - Its also brightening the materials of the touch controllers in the vr editor

So ive spent the last couple days sifting through all this and all i can say is holy shnacks, you've helped massively and i appreciate all the tests you have all done.

But after following this thread ive come across a new issue- i built my scene in production overnight (took a good 1h45m - looking back at the logs) i didnt have any light portals in and i just have a simple set up of a sky light + HDRI + Directional Light and that is it, my Light Uv's are perfectly fine and there all at appropriate sizes. the issue i got was this
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]143410[/ATTACH]

there is no emmisive materials on anything and my light settings are, Skylight Intensity - 1.5 Directional - 15 - min exposure .5 max exposure 1.5

i have the same toolbox on the other side of the room higher than the one shown and that one has correct shading and correctly lit.

I have no idea what the issue is here

i also have my lightmas important box around the scene.

any help would be more than appreciated
    http://prntscr.com/ff6gnk

Leave a comment:

• replied
    EDIT - Its also brightening the materials of the touch controllers in the vr editor

So ive spent the last couple days sifting through all this and all i can say is holy shnacks, you've helped massively and i appreciate all the tests you have all done.

But after following this thread ive come across a new issue- i built my scene in production overnight (took a good 1h45m - looking back at the logs) i didnt have any light portals in and i just have a simple set up of a sky light + HDRI + Directional Light and that is it, my Light Uv's are perfectly fine and there all at appropriate sizes. the issue i got was this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1128942

there is no emmisive materials on anything and my light settings are, Skylight Intensity - 1.5 Directional - 15 - min exposure .5 max exposure 1.5

i have the same toolbox on the other side of the room higher than the one shown and that one has correct shading and correctly lit.

I have no idea what the issue is here

i also have my lightmas important box around the scene.

any help would be more than appreciated
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kmcressey; 06-01-2017, 07:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm getting a strange effect where a few surfaces are showing as though they are emissive, such as the door pictured. Has anyone had similar problems? The lightmap UV's/resolution is fine. Also:
    1) If I turn off environment light (World Settings->Environment Intensity) these same areas show as black even with direct light on them. WTF.
    2) If I increase the size of the door to have about 100 units of thickness, it works, but this isn't an option for the other objects its happening to.

The base UV's were wrong (not the lightmap UV's). I don't know why this matters but it did.

Name:	lightmap_problem.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1126861

Name:	lightmap_problem2.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1126862
    Last edited by duke22; 04-28-2017, 01:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Render time was slightly more on the custom exe due to my mistake of not lowering the bounces. Will be doing some more tests with proper settings soon.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Raghu View Post
    I was bit late to the party going on here -

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?140006-Lightmass-multi-bounced-sky-lighting&highlight=lightmass

Download the [MENTION=27540]Luoshuang[/MENTION]'s custom UnrealLightmass.exe from the first post of above mentioned thread and replace it in - "*\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Binaries\Win64" with the Original One (Always keep the backup of original UnrealLightmass.exe)

Desperately waiting for @DanielW (I'm planning to reuse the rays from the first bounce for subsequent bounces, so that multiple bounces effectively don't cost extra, which is an artist expectation with Lightmass at this point) to implement this 'awesomeness' ASAP in Engine by default.

Here are my tests -

Differences due to extra bounces are clearly evident from side by side comparison.

Unreal Engine Project (4.15) for the above test scene - Dropbox Link.

Will be doing some more tests soon with complex projects.
    How about the render time? Have you noticed any difference?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Future is bright with the help of multi-bounce.

I was bit late to the party going on here -

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?140006-Lightmass-multi-bounced-sky-lighting&highlight=lightmass

Download the [MENTION=27540]Luoshuang[/MENTION]'s custom UnrealLightmass.exe from the first post of above mentioned thread and replace it in - "*\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Binaries\Win64" with the Original One (Always keep the backup of original UnrealLightmass.exe)

Desperately waiting for @DanielW (I'm planning to reuse the rays from the first bounce for subsequent bounces, so that multiple bounces effectively don't cost extra, which is an artist expectation with Lightmass at this point) to implement this 'awesomeness' ASAP in Engine by default.

Here are my tests -

Differences due to extra bounces are clearly evident from side by side comparison.

Unreal Engine Project (4.15) for the above test scene - Dropbox Link.

Will be doing some more tests soon with complex projects.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nori Shinoyama View Post
    Oh, Sorry. I modified it.
    Awesome, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Norman3D View Post
    Unfortunately most of your links are broken!
    Oh, Sorry. I modified it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nori Shinoyama View Post
    Epic Games Japan hold a workshop with a focus on Lightmass named "Lightmass Deep Dive" last year. A Japanese architectural artist, Kenichi Makaya, created Casa Barragan on UE4. And he gave a presentation about making of the scene with Lightmass. Our translators translated the slides for the presentations to English. Actually the presentations were based on 4.13, so some of the information might be somewhat out of date. But I believe their concepts and knowledge of their workflow are very useful and interesting.

Practical usage of Lightmass in Architectural Visualization
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]138039[/ATTACH]

CASA BARRAGAN Unreal Engine4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7r2...ature=youtu.be

SlideShare
    https://www.slideshare.net/EpicGames...mass-deep-dive

This presentation is based on "Only One Bounced Sky Lighting". Many Japanese artists are looking forward to officially support to multi bounced sky lighting like this thread: "Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting"
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ight=lightmass

We posted another presentation about Lightmass on this thread.
    Lightmass Deep Dive Presentations
    Unfortunately most of your links are broken!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Epic Games Japan hold a workshop with a focus on Lightmass named "Lightmass Deep Dive" last year. A Japanese architectural artist, Kenichi Makaya, created Casa Barragan on UE4. And he gave a presentation about making of the scene with Lightmass. Our translators translated the slides for the presentations to English. Actually the presentations were based on 4.13, so some of the information might be somewhat out of date. But I believe their concepts and knowledge of their workflow are very useful and interesting.

Practical usage of Lightmass in Architectural Visualization

Name:	Makaya.png
Views:	2
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	1126737

CASA BARRAGAN Unreal Engine4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7r2...ature=youtu.be

SlideShare
    https://www.slideshare.net/EpicGames...mass-deep-dive

This presentation is based on "Only One Bounced Sky Lighting". Many Japanese artists are looking forward to officially support to multi bounced sky lighting like this thread: "Lightmass: multi-bounced sky lighting"
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ight=lightmass

We posted another presentation about Lightmass on this thread.
    Lightmass Deep Dive Presentations
    Last edited by Nori Shinoyama; 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I'm using latest ue4 4.15, are the lightmass portals working, they don't seem to be contributing to me scene.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    SciFiHallway with my config.

Name:	Ct7yS_owsBU.jpg
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	1126550
    Last edited by TAXI; 04-21-2017, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
    I think you could do better without even touching the baselightmass.ini.

You just have too much lighting in your scene imo. Use a HDRI skylight with a subtle directional light for the sun. That should be enough. Use the new lightmass portals and drop the spot lights :-)
    Raise lighting quality a bit.. try 4. See how it looks.

Also, use static lights!!!
    what is the lightmass portals????? i cant found anything lightmass portals(((

Leave a comment:

• replied
    nice setting!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ZacD View Post
    Are the light map resolutions on all the assets reasonable?
    from 64 to 1024
    2048 for floors, walls, roof

Leave a comment:

Working...
X