Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i used bounce cards.

Comment

Originally posted by jazvec View Post
      does'nt work.
      miss *uproject

Comment

theres an ArboriaFlat_v3.exe

its not an unreal project file.

Comment

yes but it's the error i get

aah sorry. it doesn't work couse i use a LAN for the project.
          in the :/C dir now working perfectly

can u share your pretty settings?
          thx so much!
          Last edited by coach; 04-27-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

ini settings:

NumHemisphereSamples=64
            NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=3000
            DirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=1000
            IndirectPhotonDensity=8000
            IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=4000
            IrradiancePhotonSearchConeAngle=2

world settings:

static lighting: 0.15
            indirect bounces: 100
            lighting quality: 5
            lighting smoothness : 1.2
            production quality

Comment

ini settings:

NumHemisphereSamples=64
              NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons=3000
              DirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=1000
              IndirectPhotonDensity=8000
              IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity=4000
              IrradiancePhotonSearchConeAngle=2

world settings:

static lighting: 0.15
              indirect bounces: 100
              lighting quality: 5
              lighting smoothness : 1.2
              production quality
              can I ask your building time? with a waaaaaaay lighter tweak of the .ini I'm reaching about 1 day of building time and I'm struggling to understand where I'm doing wrong! yeah I'm using 4.10 instead of 4.11 but it really shouldn't be so long!

Comment

5820K@4.4GHz 3.30h.

i recommend you start using 4.11. it supports embree which means faster build times and also portals are very handy for this kind of work.
                also turn off lightmap compression in world settings and dont use 4k lightmaps.

Comment

5820K@4.4GHz 3.30h.

i recommend you start using 4.11. it supports embree which means faster build times and also portals are very handy for this kind of work.
                  also turn off lightmap compression in world settings and dont use 4k lightmaps.
                  I have an Intel i7-3970X 3.5ghz with 32gb ram and I'm using the 4.10 because when I started working on my project 4.11 was still a preview and so I'm trying to finish it with 4.10
                  Basically I'm following all the threads here and in other forums about lights/lightmass/.ini files and-so-on, and I've tried to follow all the basic rules without exagerating (to say the truth my settings are way lower than all the setting I've read around):

World setting
                  Static lighting level scale: 0.3
                  Num indirect lighting bounces: 20
                  Indirect lighting quality: 10
                  Indirect lighting smoothness: 1
                  Lightmap compression: off
                  Medium quality building light

.ini setting (I've started from rafaeris ones and gone low)
                  NumIrradianceCalculationPhotons = 4096
                  NumHemisphereSamples = 64
                  IndirectPhotonDensity = 500
                  IndirectIrradiancePhotonDensity = 250
                  IndirectPhotonSearchDistance = 180

my lightmaps reach 2048 just for the floor and the ceiling (that are huge) 1024 just for some walls (really long ones) and then decades from 512 (for other walls and complicated items) to 64 (for bushes outdoor, really tiny/simple objects)

Looking to my project with this setting I wouldn't say "it will take a lot" for the build, even just because I'm looking at your project, or at other projects, full of objects (which seem to be high quality ones), with way higher settings than mine, built in 3-5 hours (rafaeris' last is built in 40-50 minutes!)

So that's why I'm struggling: what am I doing so wrong? which is the huge mistake I'm missing?

Comment

While on the topic of "Let's make Lightmass.. understandable' - Perhaps it's worth clearly covering in the same topic, the stages of Lightmass' build process (Emitting Photons, Collecting Photons, Processing Mappings, Exporting Results).
                    I see this thread being the largest source of information covering lightmass, so having someone describe what's going on would be a good idea
                    Alessa Baker,
                    Technical Artist & Member of the Epic Streaming Team.

Shelling System - Measurement-based Blockout tool for Level Designers and Arch Viz Artists.

Comment

Hey guys, Im new in Unreal, I just download the example project in page1, I get this error "This project requires the Substance plugin", I know what is this, but its necesary for the project?, I can open the project but when I press the build buttom, render never start... Any suggestion?, is Subsustance necesary?, I can skip any object in the project to delete subsustance initial message?...

Thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by Sythen View Post
                        While on the topic of "Let's make Lightmass.. understandable' - Perhaps it's worth clearly covering in the same topic, the stages of Lightmass' build process (Emitting Photons, Collecting Photons, Processing Mappings, Exporting Results).
                        I see this thread being the largest source of information covering lightmass, so having someone describe what's going on would be a good idea
                        Nice thought Sythen. I was also thinking something similar in approach but different in sense of its implication like - It would be nice if we can see the Photon Gathering/Importance Sampling while Light Build (Like Vray Irradiance Samples or any other common renderer out in the market), that will give tremendous visual information for actual working of Lightmass and will eventually help in understanding and manipulating settings in Baselightmass somewhat easy. 4.11 is far more better then any previous Engine versions but still I feel like it lack basic tools for refining or finding bugs while light building, especially when it comes to tweaking Lightmass settings (Lightmass settings available in Engine UI are painfully simple). As I have reiterated many times before that simple settings of Lightmass are perfect for quick setup but may become major hindrance when it comes to adjusting or manipulating it for realistic light build, Ultimately there is no other option but to jump in BaseLightmass for Final Built. Portals made a major impact for small scenes now, simply putting it solves 90% of the bugs but for complex scenes we still require some kind of editing in BaseLightmass to get that super clean look.

It would be nice if we can see some more features in Engine UI itself regarding Lightmass, More detailed settings related to Photon Density, Irradiance Samples, Irradiance Radius and so on with ample explanations in Engine Docs for Noobs like me and not only for hardcore programmers out there (I think Engine Help Documents need serious update regarding the Lightmass Settings and Portal help).

Lighting Quality presets are really helpful but If we can get something similar for Lightmass settings also like - Expert Mode or Advanced Mode - Giving users enough settings to fully control the behavior and intricacies involved.
                        Raghu
                        http://rag3dviz.com
                        HDRI Lighting Tutorial
                        Basic UVW Workflow Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by Raghu View Post
                          Nice thought Sythen. I was also thinking something similar in approach but different in sense of its implication like - It would be nice if we can see the Photon Gathering/Importance Sampling while Light Build (Like Vray Irradiance Samples or any other common renderer out in the market), that will give tremendous visual information for actual working of Lightmass and will eventually help in understanding and manipulating settings in Baselightmass somewhat easy. 4.11 is far more better then any previous Engine versions but still I feel like it lack basic tools for refining or finding bugs while light building, especially when it comes to tweaking Lightmass settings (Lightmass settings available in Engine UI are painfully simple). As I have reiterated many times before that simple settings of Lightmass are perfect for quick setup but may become major hindrance when it comes to adjusting or manipulating it for realistic light build, Ultimately there is no other option but to jump in BaseLightmass for Final Built. Portals made a major impact for small scenes now, simply putting it solves 90% of the bugs but for complex scenes we still require some kind of editing in BaseLightmass to get that super clean look.

It would be nice if we can see some more features in Engine UI itself regarding Lightmass, More detailed settings related to Photon Density, Irradiance Samples, Irradiance Radius and so on with ample explanations in Engine Docs for Noobs like me and not only for hardcore programmers out there (I think Engine Help Documents need serious update regarding the Lightmass Settings and Portal help).

Lighting Quality presets are really helpful but If we can get something similar for Lightmass settings also like - Expert Mode or Advanced Mode - Giving users enough settings to fully control the behavior and intricacies involved.

Here's the thing you shouldn't have to get that deep into tweaking to get good results! The render engine needs to be easier to use not harder, I'm no expert but I have used many engines and this is the most difficult to get right. In the real world of paying jobs in Architecture you don't usually have days to tweak lightmass settings, for video game makers it's different those are usually long term projects. I don't know why we don't have something like "samples" which seems to be standard nomenclature for render engines - e.g. turn up the samples and get better quality (longer render times too!).
                          Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hi all !

I found a case that I can't manage to fix :

a simple room lit by a point light with a window and a cube on the outside.

After baking, there is a huge light bounce between the outer wall and the cube :

Here's the scene if someone want to take a look : https://www.dropbox.com/s/y93kx0a73u...s_Leak.7z?dl=0
                            ____________________________________________________________
                            https://twitter.com/Koola_UE4

Comment

Originally posted by koola View Post
                              Hi all !

I found a case that I can't manage to fix :

a simple room lit by a point light with a window and a cube on the outside.

After baking, there is a huge light bounce between the outer wall and the cube :

Here's the scene if someone want to take a look : https://www.dropbox.com/s/y93kx0a73u...s_Leak.7z?dl=0
                              I Just rebuild the lighting on your level for testing and there are no light leaks what so ever, even I am not able to replicate the error.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Raghu; 05-17-2016, 06:59 AM.
                              Raghu
                              http://rag3dviz.com
                              HDRI Lighting Tutorial
                              Basic UVW Workflow Tutorial

Comment

Thank for the test.

This is really weird, I just see I don't have this problem with high/medium/preview setting, just with production setting.
                                ____________________________________________________________
                                https://twitter.com/Koola_UE4

Comment

Working...
                                X