Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I'm having fun doing tests. Both have the same lightmap resolutions, production setup, etc.

Mihanix version with .07 / 50 / 10 / 1.3 + baselightmass.ini changes (he said 4 hours to build)

Click image for larger version

Name:	portal007_50_10_1p3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1098062

4.11 with portals with .15 / 30 / 4 / 1 and default baselightmass.ini (26 mins to build on a single i7)

Name:	portal015_30_4_1.jpg
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1098063
    Last edited by heartlessphil; 01-06-2016, 03:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think you could do better without even touching the baselightmass.ini.

You just have too much lighting in your scene imo. Use a HDRI skylight with a subtle directional light for the sun. That should be enough. Use the new lightmass portals and drop the spot lights :-)
    Raise lighting quality a bit.. try 4. See how it looks.

Also, use static lights!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Guys!
    Some WIP screenshots from my first archiviz Study (rendering and light) within the UE4 11. The design is based on a scene from "EvermotionArch30Vol.".

- First my parameters inside UE editor:
    Static lighting level: 0.5
    Num indirect light bounce : 3
    Ind. Light qual : 1
    Ind. Light smoothness : 1

Standard content material and light for the scene -> 1 lightsource and 3spotlights (1x station + 2x static).
    - Inside the baseconfiglighting.Ini :NumHemisphereSamples=64
    Lightmaps : 1024 for walls, 512 for the floor, 64-128 for the props/asset
    Build time: 1h05 for the lighting on "high quality"

I wonder how to improve the lighting ? Tweaking the number of "ind light bounce"/NumSphere", remove the standard skyPhere with an HDRImap (ie : tutorial from Rag3DViz website)? Add StaticProjector + cardboard for the lighting/emissive cardboard ??

Thanks for your feedbacks!

PS: the screens are sharper/smooth in "play" mode.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Is the lightmap resolution on that model large enough? Is the ceiling and roof one continuous mesh or are they separate floating parts?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi !

i'm trying to create a simple scene with Lightmass Portal but I have some problem with some strange artecfact of the roof of my scene.
    It's the second scene that make this error. I have the same problem if I seperate my roof to the wall or not.
    This is an example of my problem :

Name:	Problem.jpg
Size:	594.8 KB
ID:	1098004

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking awesome rafareis, great lighting, reflections, colour balance - everything. This is the kind of stuff that inspires me to get better.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What was the build time and your computer specs?

Also, I want your leather material!
    Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 01-04-2016, 02:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes. But I have not achieved the same beautiful small shadows as in 4.9 and I don't know why. It's not so sharpen anymore, but the rendering times are fine now.
    Last edited by rafareis123; 01-04-2016, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Those look great! 4.11?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just some tests with only `skylight`

I have used 0.15 in `static lighting level scale` and `NumHemisphereSamples=128`
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hmm, GI shouldn't be the culprit. Maybe too much ambient lighting? There are just so many variables to tweak in the engine.
    Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've not tried a night scene yet but i was finding with my day scene, global illumination was drowning out everything making stuff look less defined (maybe i didn't master it enough to get good results)
    I'm currently getting good results with just a direct+skylight - better than i was getting with hdri in cubemap, and no real difference between bounce card and current method. I followed tutorial on ue4arch. The thing i would add is that indirect lighting plays a big part too, it goes above 10 for anyone who needs more. Your skill level obviously looks pro though, just my personal taste maybe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mentholblue View Post
    Very professional presentation, i think the realism factor can be better. Did you use low lightmap res ? what was your lighting set up, and did you use global illumination ?
    It was my second try at UE4 so it needs improvement. I think the highest lightmap rez is 1024, can't remember what I did for lighting, I'd have to look, and yes I used GI.

*Edit* I used an HDRI and bounce lights out the window, the floor lightmap is 2048 rez, walls 1024.
    Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very professional presentation, i think the realism factor can be better. Did you use low lightmap res ? what was your lighting set up, and did you use global illumination ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mentholblue View Post
    Are you able to get "loft in london" "scandinavian" "unreal paris" type quality with .7 ?
    I'm not sure if this is as good as the ones you mentioned but this is with .7 setting. I would try the scene with .2 but my computer can't handle that setting. :/ Watch in HD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X