Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazvec View Post
    hi there,

regarding the newset preview 4.11 build, i have a question.
    how to enable embree? i downloaded the newest library from intel, and i tested it with embree on and off in the ini fail and actually, i had a slightly faster build time without embree (2% faster) so my guess is its not using it even if its enabled in the ini file and the build times are pretty much the same. and yes, i have a intel processor.

any words of advice?
    Embree is integrated into UE4's light building system. There's no need to download anything at all from third parties. If you looked at Swarm Agent log window while building lighting, you would see the word "Embree" mentioned in there.

This also means Embree implementation in UE4.11 preview 1 is CPU agnostic, it really doesn't matter if your rig is using AMD CPU, Embree in UE4 just works without problem.
    Last edited by tupikp; 01-02-2016, 10:52 PM.
    Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

Originally posted by jazvec View Post
      hi there,

regarding the newset preview 4.11 build, i have a question.
      how to enable embree? i downloaded the newest library from intel, and i tested it with embree on and off in the ini fail and actually, i had a slightly faster build time without embree (2% faster) so my guess is its not using it even if its enabled in the ini file and the build times are pretty much the same. and yes, i have a intel processor.

any words of advice?
      It's on by default, if you want to turn it off to compare speeds, you can follow the instructions in this post.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post444264

Comment

Originally posted by ZacD View Post
        It's on by default, if you want to turn it off to compare speeds, you can follow the instructions in this post.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post444264
        i did that. its mentioned in the post youre replying to.

i tested it with embree on and off in the ini file and actually, i had a slightly faster build time without embree (2% faster) so my guess is its not using it even if its enabled in the ini file and the build times are pretty much the same.

Comment

I'm not (at least it seems) experiencing 2x faster builds either. Current light build, 76% after nearly 30 hours (scene with 3 rooms, balcony and maybe 20 items furniture total) - corei7 4790k with 16gb ram + core i5 4460 with 8gb ram.
          64 hemisphere samples, production mode, .2 static lighting level, 100 bounces, 10 indirect lighting quality. 2 lights in scene - direct and skylight, light portals used in windows.

Comment

It's probably your light map resolutions and the 10 indirect lighting quality causing the high rendering time. Isn't the point of portal lights that you don't need a super high indirect lighting quality because the portals tell lightmass where to focus?

Comment

I watched the video posted on a previous page, where Daniel was demonstrating 4.11 and he was using indirect quality of 10 and .2 scale?

Comment

From my tests this ".2 static lighting level" kills render times. Can you really see a difference between say .7 and .2? I gave up on anything lower than .65 because the render times were in days.

Comment

Are you able to get "loft in london" "scandinavian" "unreal paris" type quality with .7 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mentholblue View Post
                    Are you able to get "loft in london" "scandinavian" "unreal paris" type quality with .7 ?
                    I'm not sure if this is as good as the ones you mentioned but this is with .7 setting. I would try the scene with .2 but my computer can't handle that setting. :/ Watch in HD.

Comment

Very professional presentation, i think the realism factor can be better. Did you use low lightmap res ? what was your lighting set up, and did you use global illumination ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mentholblue View Post
                        Very professional presentation, i think the realism factor can be better. Did you use low lightmap res ? what was your lighting set up, and did you use global illumination ?
                        It was my second try at UE4 so it needs improvement. I think the highest lightmap rez is 1024, can't remember what I did for lighting, I'd have to look, and yes I used GI.

*Edit* I used an HDRI and bounce lights out the window, the floor lightmap is 2048 rez, walls 1024.
                        Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 01-04-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I've not tried a night scene yet but i was finding with my day scene, global illumination was drowning out everything making stuff look less defined (maybe i didn't master it enough to get good results)
                          I'm currently getting good results with just a direct+skylight - better than i was getting with hdri in cubemap, and no real difference between bounce card and current method. I followed tutorial on ue4arch. The thing i would add is that indirect lighting plays a big part too, it goes above 10 for anyone who needs more. Your skill level obviously looks pro though, just my personal taste maybe.

Comment

Hmm, GI shouldn't be the culprit. Maybe too much ambient lighting? There are just so many variables to tweak in the engine.
                            Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Just some tests with only `skylight`

I have used 0.15 in `static lighting level scale` and `NumHemisphereSamples=128`
                              Attached Files
                              http://www.ue4arch.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
                              Latest projects

Comment

Those look great! 4.11?

Comment

Working...
                                X