Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Raghu, I'll take a look at that scene when I get a chance, hopefully monday.

is there a way (or is it planned, even possible) to calculate lighting for just selected objects?
    It's possible, although a fair amount of lightmass processing (editor export, lightmass import, photon mapping) have to be done no matter what you want to build. Only the blue part in the Swarm visualizer (double click the swarm icon hiding in the taskbar when building lighting). It's not something we have planned just due to not enough time though.

Comment

My two cents

99% of the time I notice that if you go over a value of 2-3 on the "Indirect light intensity" ( on the main sun light I mean ) you'll have those light leaks all over.
      I usually use, to boost up the intensity of the interiors, a skylight with a limited amount of intensity ( 0.2/0.5 ) and 1-2 of Indirect lighting.

Then bounce cards all over the place.

@DanielW: +1 Raghu, to be able to build the lighting only for certain object will be a godsend, since if you're working on different environments and you just want to test part of the scene it'll be great to process only a portion of that or if you move some objects just reuild the lighting for those ( and the affected surfaces of course )
      ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
        Heh, maybe I got too technical.

Short answer - not without some significant work on our part. Pure HDRI quality is lacking. But I hear you guys loud and clear, that's how you want to light (as opposed to directional or spot lights).
        Okay, thank you. At least I know not to try and transfer my techniques over to Unreal and just work with what it gives me. Sure would be nice to be able to light scenes this way though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas3D View Post
          My two cents

99% of the time I notice that if you go over a value of 2-3 on the "Indirect light intensity" ( on the main sun light I mean ) you'll have those light leaks all over.
          I usually use, to boost up the intensity of the interiors, a skylight with a limited amount of intensity ( 0.2/0.5 ) and 1-2 of Indirect lighting.

Then bounce cards all over the place.

@DanielW: +1 Raghu, to be able to build the lighting only for certain object will be a godsend, since if you're working on different environments and you just want to test part of the scene it'll be great to process only a portion of that or if you move some objects just reuild the lighting for those ( and the affected surfaces of course )
          A workaround for that, which is what I am doing in my current project is organize the scene outline on different parts. I have exterior yard, ground level and level 1. As now I am working only on the level 1 I simply select all actors which are grouped in a folder from exterior yard ( easier if you arrange by type so you can only select static meshes) and simply set to movable and all the lights to not affect world. They will be ignored in lightmass. Might not be as easy as having an option like you mentioned ( which I also hope will be implemented at some point ) but does the job of lowering the building time.
          Portfolio

Comment

I did some quick tests

* I used "Static Lighting Level" 0.07 and "Indirect Lighting Smoothness 1.3"
            * It's possible to achieve the same lighting quality from vray
            * Kola's work it's pretty much the same as Alex Roman's vray works. The secret is in the
            shaders and the contrast. In the lighting pass you will definitely spot a lot of lighting errors. Even
            in Alex Roman's work, you can see lighting erros from Irrmap + LC solution. Darkness is our best friend
            in this case.
            * Here is a nice article for understanding better the photomapping process : http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Have a nice study!
            Attached Files
            http://www.ue4arch.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjp...pois6WVG6hqXNQ
            Latest projects

Comment

Originally posted by rafareis123 View Post
              I did some quick tests

* Kola's work it's pretty much the same as Alex Roman's vray works. The secret is in the
              shaders and the contrast. In the lighting pass you will definitely spot a lot of lighting errors. Even
              in Alex Roman's work, you can see lighting erros from Irrmap + LC solution. Darkness is our best friend
              in this case.
              * Here is a nice article for understanding better the photomapping process : http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Have a nice study!
              Kindly Let us know -
              1. How did you removed the splotches in the area where there is no skylight hitting directly (Areas far from windows). As the images he posted had so many splotches in gallery, despite having Indirect Lighting quality to = 10 and static Lighting Level scale = .1 and the images that you posted didn't had those splotches !!!!! what values did you modified in baselightmap.ini ?
              CHECK OUT:- Visit https://3darchstuffs.com/ for Unreal arch-viz tutorials, Unreal Demo EXE and Unreal projects with source files.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...X3Sm2Z9NXEHFV9

Comment

I did some quick tests

in this case.

Have a nice study!
                @DanielW - Rafareis123 is able to remove all the bugs with good quality GI, also it's clearly evident that he is not willing to share any of his workflow (Totally understandable). I am definitely going to read the document he has posted but wondering, do we all have to invest that much of time in understanding something that is fundamentally basic in producing any kind of work from Unreal Engine. I am totally willing to give all my time, but where are the documents, tutorials, scene break downs? I can read a book about photon mapping in Unreal Engine - But Need a Book for that.

I humbly request you to explain the working of Lightmass as detailed as possible with visual examples. Video Tutorials would be heaven sent.
                Raghu
                http://rag3dviz.com
                HDRI Lighting Tutorial
                Basic UVW Workflow Tutorial

Comment

I did some quick tests

in this case.

Have a nice study!
                  rafareis123 give us the parameters BaseLightmass.ini !!!
                  Or sell

Comment

Raghu thank you very much, that stirred up this topic!

Comment

Originally posted by mihanix View Post
                      rafareis123 give us the parameters BaseLightmass.ini !!!
                      Or sell
                      I am a Modo user, that community is very cool everyone shares openly everything. The funny thing is people find out eventually and to think that someone may take work from you if they find out your techniques is nonsense. The chances of someone competing directly for the same client with someone else using UE4 are slim. If that's what the secrecy is about?

Comment

do we all have to invest that much of time in understanding something that is fundamentally basic in producing any kind of work from Unreal Engine.
                        No, of course not. The paper Rafareis123 linked is for rendering engineers like myself who implement GI solvers. I will test out the scene monday-ish with the original settings and Rafa's settings and see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                          No, of course not. The paper Rafareis123 linked is for rendering engineers like myself who implement GI solvers. I will test out the scene monday-ish with the original settings and Rafa's settings and see what I can find.
                          I for one am pretty bloody stoked to learn about your findings!
                          Loving this thread btw, will post my own findings soon.

Comment

Well, Rafareis123 sells lots of scenes on his website, so there is no secret about that...also he made a tutorial on UE4 Architectural scene setup on Evermotion and also gives some advices around...also che Realistic rendering scene which comes with UE4 is a very good starting point...and the scene made by koola available on the marketplace...

There is no "Universal Lightmass solution" for every scene, otherwise there will be one parameter to set.
                            ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

While working on the competition ( link ), I experienced certain unpredictability of result depending on position of Lightmass Volume. The position seems obvious, it should encompass the scene. But how much ? By atleast 1 or 10perc. ? Seemingly miniscule movements of the volume, seemed to often drastically alter the splotchiness. It was so random I later didn't touch it even if needed. I got the best result with the very smalled encompass I could get.

I also sort of don't believe universal settings for perfection can be found with photons as secondary GI solver. MentalRay tried for years and it is what it is when it comes to complicated GI (of architectural spaces), requiring very unique treatment depending on scene. Which is also why other renderers brought more advanced secondary solvers (for example Vray's LightCache, while also not perfect esp. when it comes to lightleaks, it's far more evolved than photon mapping, and also has mode to work in world space and is often used for baking down scenes).

Comment

My experiments:
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	1091859

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	1091860

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	1091861

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	1091862

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	1091863

Scene: https://mega.nz/#!rtQ3XLzT!7BR5v95YW...uFEJHDxljR_jqM

File BaseLightmass.ini: https://mega.nz/#!n5xGSLiT!ZmOMwf69N...Krv6KTkfp9WfJU

change settings:

DirectPhotonDensity=100000000

And parameters koola:

[DevOptions.StaticLightingProductionQuality]
                                NumShadowRaysScale=32
                                NumPenumbraShadowRaysScale=64
                                ApproximateHighResTexelsPerMaxTransitionDistanceScale=9
                                MinDistanceFieldUpsampleFactor=7
                                NumHemisphereSamplesScale=64
                                NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale=6
                                NumDirectPhotonsScale=32
                                ; Decrease direct photon search distance so that we will have more accurate shadow transitions. This requires a higher density of direct photons.
                                DirectPhotonSearchDistanceScale=.5
                                NumIndirectPhotonPathsScale=32
                                ; Need a lot of indirect photons since we have increased the number of first bounce photons to use for final gathering with NumImportanceSearchPhotonsScale
                                NumIndirectPhotonsScale=64
                                NumIndirectIrradiancePhotonsScale=32
                                ; Decreasing the record radius results in more records, which increases quality
                                RecordRadiusScaleScale=.45
                                InterpolationMaxAngleScale=.75
                                IrradianceCacheSmoothFactor=.75
                                NumAdaptiveRefinementLevels=3
                                AdaptiveBrightnessThresholdScale=.25
                                AdaptiveFirstBouncePhotonConeAngleScale=2.5

Render time: 4 hours
                                On machine with i7 950 3.07 GHz RAM 24 Gb

I'm afraid to imagine what will happen to the big apartment!!!

I do not understand these parameters. Just do not have time to study the photon mapping. He began to study and my head was going to explode soon. It is a science. Examples would be the settings for daytime sunlight, cloudy, evening. Why not make the presets. How well do creative work, not to study the photon map. I really liked the graphics in Unreal Engin 4, but once started architectural visualization, faced with the mysterious file BaseLightmass.ini
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X