Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets make Lightmass EPIC (and understandable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@heartlessphil: is this Production lighting or less? If you're able to achieve this lighting in 1 hours at Production level you won the competition
    ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

This is production lighting yes.

But it's a big outdoor (mostly) scene, no furniture and small objects that would need huge amount of detailed shadows!!!

Comment

Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
        This is production lighting yes.

But it's a big outdoor (mostly) scene, no furniture and small objects that would need huge amount of detailed shadows!!!
        Ok, now I'm curious to see the test using an interior scene...like the one uploaded by Raghu

Could you also post your system specs? just for comparison
        ENTER REALITY

VR Solutions

Contact us for more informations

Comment

My 2 pc were used to build the scene. Main is core i7 4970k+16gbram+gtx980, second pc is core i7 2600k+8gb ram+gtx 760ti

I will take an old interior/exterior scene I've made that took 10 hours to build and try to see how I can reduce the time while achieve similar quality. stay tuned.

Comment

I have now checked in my Lightmass solver quality improvements:
            A) Adds light portals - these solve static skylight quality in highly enclosed areas like the example
            B) Fixed high IndirectLightingQuality settings disabling adaptive sampling - this improves static skylight quality
            C) Fixed light leaks when using spotlights with StaticLightingLevelScale .1 - StaticLightingLevelScale is no longer applied to photon emission

These changes will be in 4.11 which will probably be in about 4 months.

So to wrap up Raghu's original post

1. How to remove the splotches in the area where there is no skylight hitting directly (Areas far from windows). As you can see in the above images there are so many splotches in gallery, despite having Indirect Lighting quality to = 10 and static Lighting Level scale = .1
            2. Shadows become somewhat messy after a certain distance. How to make area shadows more clear and smooth.
            This is addressed by A) + B)

3. Whenever we put spotlights to remove dark areas, it almost always gives the annoying problem of light leaks. Clearly evident in the above images.
            This is addressed by C)

Sadly that's all the time I can spend on Lightmass atm, otherwise I would like to investigate some more complex scenes.
            Last edited by DanielW; 11-03-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Good work Daniel! Can't wait to test these features :-)

Comment

Some comparisons

Raghu's original. Settings were StaticLightingLevelScale .1, IndirectLightingQuality 10, IndirectLightingSmoothness .75, no compression.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Onlyskylight3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	1092528

Improved solver quality + portals setup. Settings are StaticLightingLevelScale .2, IndirectLightingQuality 10, no compression, all others defaults. I probably should have turned down the smoothing a bit, notice how where the walls meet doesn't look quite right. Also, the exposure is different than Raghu's.

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1092532

Raghu's original. Settings were StaticLightingLevelScale .1, IndirectLightingQuality 10, IndirectLightingSmoothness .75, no compression.

Name:	Onlyskylight2.jpg
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1092533

Improved solver quality + portals setup. Settings are StaticLightingLevelScale .2, IndirectLightingQuality 10, no compression, all others defaults.

Name:	temp2.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1092534
                Attached Files
                Last edited by DanielW; 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

can't wait for 4.11
                  environment artist | VR Dev
                  serriffe.com

Comment

Well... I might skip the 4.10 entirely... uh, can I? Or do I have to install 4.10 first before I can install 4.11?
                    Swarm Agent and Lightmass Troubleshooting

Comment

That looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by tupikp View Post
                        Well... I might skip the 4.10 entirely... uh, can I? Or do I have to install 4.10 first before I can install 4.11?
                        Of course, you can upgrade directly to 4.11 when it's out! No need to actually update to every new versions.

Comment

Thanks Daniel.

Is there a workaround for point C) at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Snrub View Post
                            Thanks Daniel.

Is there a workaround for point C) at the moment?
                            You may try their useful trick in here https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post379386

Comment

@DanielW - Much Obliged

That's great news @DanielW. I cannot thank you much enough, desperately waiting for the 4.11. I could not have asked for more, was only thinking of the solution through BaseLightmass.ini but you have permanently incorporated the changes in Engine. That make things so much easier for new comers in UE4 for Arch-Vis.
                              Raghu
                              http://rag3dviz.com
                              HDRI Lighting Tutorial
                              Basic UVW Workflow Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
                                Of course, you can upgrade directly to 4.11 when it's out! No need to actually update to every new versions.
                                Sweet! 4 months eh? Can we just have it like tomorrow? *kidding

Comment

Working...
                                X