Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimalist Interior Visualization(Lighting Test)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabellogp View Post
    The only thing you MUST do despite everything you've already been doing for archviz in 3DS is to assign a new non-overlapping mapping in the second map channel of each one of your objects.

So lets say that you have a table and it has a UVW map that you have already applied to adjust its materials. Then after that you apply the Unwrap UVW and make sure to set the "Map Channel" to "2" (you can see that at the very end of the printscreen you've just posted. Then you click "Open UV Editor", select all the faces and spread it by face angles (or anything you like, but you must be sure there won't be any overlapping faces). Unreal needs that second channel to apply the light results of its calculation to every object in your scene after you build lights using lightmaps. There are tricks and tips to improve that mapping, its a critical stuff to get nice lighting in your scene. You should read this to get a better idea: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ing/index.html

One tip: every time you read anyone talking about something in Unreal that you don't know yet, look for it at UE4 documentation. You'll end up learning a lot of nice and important stuff (that people will probably bypass in a forum answer or archviz straight forward tutorial) that will save you a lot of hard time struggling to get nice results in the future.
    Very Well said.
    Raghu
    http://rag3dviz.com
    HDRI Lighting Tutorial
    Basic UVW Workflow Tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by dvd.kh
      Whats your colorcorrection setup? can you explain this?
      I am using LUT in this scene for the color correction and particular mood. nothing fancy.
      Raghu
      HDRI Lighting Tutorial

Comment

Hey Raghu!
        On the begginging I thought we are working on the same flat, but no, it's just very, very simmilar. That's funny because the flat i'am working on is the same dimmensions but has one more tiny room on the other side of the corridor, and different windows shapes. Although I have made few projects in EU4 allready and i thought i am able to set up lighting properly i can't get satisfactonary results.

I fully understand double UV mapping, am using spot lights on reflecting planes to cause a decent indirect lighting, diffuse boost on 1 and exposure 1.5/1.5/1 without good effect. I have also made 'black boxes' around and inside every wall. I had no errors while batch importing scene to UE4, no errors on maps. Maps resolution is set as high as 512 for all meshes. All walls are the same material but look different. One of the wall is plain white after light build but it should be black as there is no light source of any kind, all the setting for that wall are same to others. I am very confused right now, moreover my logitech mx anywhere went crazy with left button what makes me just mad.

Please help me with some advice cause my deadline is getting close. Screenshots are form high/default build (1), and Koola's .ini setting on production (2). (my previous demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQvu...ature=youtu.be)

(1)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	wallsHi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	877.7 KB
ID:	1079882
        Attached Files

Comment

(2) I'am unable to upload the second image at the moment. It's after Koolas .ini build settings and it rather look worse. I'll try to upload it later.

Guys, please help, what do you think, what is cousing the grey walls, and especially the white one?
          Attached Files

Comment

It must be your lightmaps then, can you post a screen of the lightmap of one of the problematic wall? Your previous demo looks quite good tho, wonder what's going wrong this time!

Black spots around edges could mean not enough space between uv islands!

Walls are meshes or brushes? brushes resolution works the opposite way, the lower the value the better the quality...32,16,8,4,2 etc.
            Last edited by heartlessphil; 06-15-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for answer heartlessphil. Yes I know BSP works opposite. I tried connecting meshes with BSPs in other project, but i didn't like it cause the BSP was somehow more blueish, so now i do all visible parts in Blender. After difficulties with UV maps for lightmaps this time all the walls are separate meshes - with only one island per mesh. Tell me what should be the distance of isle to the border of UV map? I have used .3 in blender tho i don't know is it enough but i thought that resolution of 512 would solve any issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	BOXvsMESH.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1079900
              I'll prepare UV maps screens now. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
                How to you make images? print screen or take highresshot? I don't see much aliasing which is nice.
                I from here to make highrise image,
                just change the numbers, 1 is small, 10 is large size and render very slowly.

Name:	QQ截图20150615113937.jpg
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	1079903
                Attached Files

Comment

So, You were right I think. There is some third, red, I think auto-generated UVmap, but the lightmap coordinate is set to 2, and channel 2 looks good when excluding the border proximity. the problem might be somewhere else, ie. black boxes too thin, or not aligned with the UE4 grid? Does it matter?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Name:	UVmapSample.jpg
Size:	903.4 KB
ID:	1079907
                    uff, it ptompt me 'database error' all the time
                    Attached Files

Comment

Try to check "use two side lighting" ?

Name:	QQ截图20150615121309.jpg
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1079908

Comment

I think there is not enough space on the contour of your lightmap (CH2). It's too flush.... Use CH1 for your lightmap instead, it looks better. Check the static mesh options on the right panel, you'll find ''lightmap coordinate index''...set it to 1 for channel 1.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexWang View Post
                          I from here to make highrise image,
                          just change the numbers, 1 is small, 10 is large size and render very slowly.
                          This is well know method and I tried it myself but felt it was not that good comparing to the matinee output with all filters applied at game level.
                          Raghu
                          HDRI Lighting Tutorial

Comment

I agree with Raghu, I tried taking a screenshot (print screen) from a camera with resolution set to 4k in game and it's the best results I've gotten so far. The high res screenshot just seems to produce a huge amount of Aliasing and even weird artifact. It's almost like if half of the game graphical features are turned off while the screenshot is being taken. lol.

This is my new screenshot workflow, of course, the resolution is upscaled to 4k in-game but in reality I get a 1920x1080 image...There is very little aliasing tho, which is great!
                            I launch the game with these settings, wait a few seconds for AA to stabilize and press print screen. Then copy it in photoshop.

Name:	takingSS.jpg
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	1079928
                            Last edited by heartlessphil; 06-16-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for advises. I have upgraded to 4.8 and started over, this time i have unchecked 'generate lightmaps' and it is better. 4.8 is mush faster, results are better, so it was half of the solution
                              About 'use two sided lighting' i tried it, red the docs, and it seems to work well but only with static lights, what is not an issue for me at the moment. That made no need for 'black boxes' around all to prevent color bleeding, only 'outer shell' mesh. So again: 'use two sided lighting' works with static lights only. Docs stated that for other lights one may make the material two-sided in the material editor details panel, but when i did it there was still a little sun disk reflection visible on the floors, so - no. Now almost all is ok, tho i get strange reflections, i can still see clouds reflection in tv. Please don't mind design as it is very early WIP. I love the performance of UE4, ability to realtime render is just jump to the future, but sometimes I loose so many time on the stuff i wouldn't have any issues in 'traditional' rendering software. The render time advantage exceeds all the disadvantages tho. Nevertheless i'll carry on, hope will not have to start over after I finish because of that strange outside reflection.
                              By the way, what should be the border, countour size of LM UVmap?

Name:	strange-reflections.jpg
Size:	804.0 KB
ID:	1079978

Comment

it was just lack of reflection shadow box.

Comment

Working...
                                X