Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any US architecture rendering companies using UE4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhillyArchitect View Post
    I'm just trying to get a master bath modeled and animated with realistic stone tiles and plumbing fixtures. Maardigitial created an awesome living room kitchen animation and a bath one as well. I really thought they were onto something and then they closed shop!
    Unless you're doing a real time walk through there is no need to do an animation of such a small project in UE4 - if quality is your concern just go with Vray and 3ds Max.

Comment

From what I've seen of Vray, its animations and renderings live in the uncanny valley -- almost real but not really. UE4 is a game changer because there is something about it when done right that fools the eye. The Maardigital living room is virtually flawless in terms of natural light and material rendition; that is what makes it seem real. The drapery and fire are give-aways but other than that, it's pretty much photo realism. For whatever reason the best UE4 animations come from Europe, as if they've had a five year start.

As for Koola, someone said he creates "environments." Isn't that what architecture is about? His short animations are EXTREMELY architectural.

As an architect, I can't even bring myself to look at the UE4 walk thrus. They are almost comical in their video game feel -- not how architects generally want to represent moving through space.
      Last edited by PhillyArchitect; 02-16-2016, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Yes he makes some architectural environment I agree with you but the geometry is very basic and the scene are pretty much empty. In that case he can get away with all dynamic and not even bother baking some of his scene!!! At the same time I prefer it that way but I have a feeling that it's not what's most architects want when they ask for renderings. Or maybe it's the thing of property developers to ask funky stuff. I started doing a scene of a Neue nationalgalerie in Berlin. It's going to be fully dynamic with superb materials. I think for that particular project, it will work. The big open space will allow me to get away with the baking. I work with a huuuuge sketchup 3d models of about 4500 objects and Unreal is handling it like a pro!

I also agree with you concerning the video walk-through. They are boring as hell to look at. That and the shallow interactivity...open a door, close a light, meh...

I personally want to use unreal to make architecture DIRECTED movies and VR for the design phase. I mostly see interior design here and on most arch viz forums and it's making me sick. You know, the white room with designconnected pre-made assets...

I hope i'll meet more architects like you in the future Phillyarchitect!!!

*it's funny tho because it's the 1st time I hear someone say ue4 looks better than vray! What do you think about refraction/reflection laking quality compared to vray/corona/octane?

Comment

You will probably like this guy's work! He's amazing.

https://vimeo.com/user38869033/videos

Comment

Originally posted by heartlessphil View Post
            Yes he makes some architectural environment I agree with you but the geometry is very basic and the scene are pretty much empty. In that case he can get away with all dynamic and not even bother baking some of his scene!!! At the same time I prefer it that way but I have a feeling that it's not what's most architects want when they ask for renderings. Or maybe it's the thing of property developers to ask funky stuff. I started doing a scene of a Neue nationalgalerie in Berlin. It's going to be fully dynamic with superb materials. I think for that particular project, it will work. The big open space will allow me to get away with the baking. I work with a huuuuge sketchup 3d models of about 4500 objects and Unreal is handling it like a pro!

I also agree with you concerning the video walk-through. They are boring as hell to look at. That and the shallow interactivity...open a door, close a light, meh...

I personally want to use unreal to make architecture DIRECTED movies and VR for the design phase. I mostly see interior design here and on most arch viz forums and it's making me sick. You know, the white room with designconnected pre-made assets...

I hope i'll meet more architects like you in the future Phillyarchitect!!!

*it's funny tho because it's the 1st time I hear someone say ue4 looks better than vray! What do you think about refraction/reflection laking quality compared to vray/corona/octane?
            I have noticed that Unreal does not do mirrors, chrome or glass that realistically, but given what it does so well -- material/texture mapping and lighting -- I'm okay with that. If you can link me to a VRAY clip as good as Maardigital's living room, I'd like to see that.

Comment

This one is a personal favorite.

Ue4 arch made this unreal movie too, which is also very nice. Again, glass is a bit problematic but the rest is awesome

Last edited by heartlessphil; 02-17-2016, 12:55 AM.

Comment

But a video like that would cost so much money to produce imo. Better sacrifice some realism (mostly glass) and render it in real-time at the fraction of the cost.

Comment

^Okay, you posted a crème de la crème VRAY, which would be like me posting some of Koola's UE4 work. Is your video typical of Vray because from what I saw it's not.

Comment

I would like to get your opinion as an architect on photorealistic 360 pano/vr.
                    Like this one made by a master, with vray

http://wip.sbrusse.com/BB_CubeMap/

Do you think it's enough for a VR experience? Be at a fixed position vs and Unreal VR where you can move, tilt your head, etc.
                    If you had choice, static photoreal vr or dynamic but ''less than photoreal'' vr with a better sense of presence...what looks more promising to you?

Comment

This one is a personal favorite.

Ue4 arch made this unreal movie too, which is also very nice. Again, glass is a bit problematic but the rest is awesome

Nice!!! guys
                      Minecraft PE Maps: http://mcpebox.com/minecraft-pe-maps/

Comment

All render engines have a look to them, unbiased render engines like Maxwell, Corona, Cycles etc. are the most photoreal the trade off is render time is extreme. Vray in the right hands can be fantastic. In my opinion UE4 is not up to the standards of unbiased or even Vray - expect to pay a high price though for AAA work. The thing about UE4 is it's ability to render an entire scene cost effectively, you can take as many still images as you want for example.

With all do respect Phillyarchitect I'm not sure you see the quality differences like us that work with these softwares daily. That's fine and not really the point, if you like the "look" of UE4 renderings then by all means use it!

You cannot do this in UE4 because of the reflection issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWKNAU7jN8

Maxwell render: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnQAiSGFEk

Realize that render engines like Vray and UE4 leave a lot of room for artist manipulation where render engines like Maxwell do not. This is why you see so many different styles in Vray/UE4 vs. Maxwell et al.
                        Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I would like to get your opinion as an architect on photorealistic 360 pano/vr.
                          Like this one made by a master, with vray

http://wip.sbrusse.com/BB_CubeMap/

Do you think it's enough for a VR experience? Be at a fixed position vs and Unreal VR where you can move, tilt your head, etc.
                          If you had choice, static photoreal vr or dynamic but ''less than photoreal'' vr with a better sense of presence...what looks more promising to you?
                          It really depends on the client and how much they want to explore the space. Many clients don't need such an intense vr experience imo. The smooth pans and movements through space of a defined path animation impart more emotion and excitement than a simulated "walk around." Both animation types have their uses, however.

Comment

Originally posted by RI3DVIZ View Post
                            All render engines have a look to them, unbiased render engines like Maxwell, Corona, Cycles etc. are the most photoreal the trade off is render time is extreme. Vray in the right hands can be fantastic. In my opinion UE4 is not up to the standards of unbiased or even Vray - expect to pay a high price though for AAA work. The thing about UE4 is it's ability to render an entire scene cost effectively, you can take as many still images as you want for example.

With all do respect Phillyarchitect I'm not sure you see the quality differences like us that work with these softwares daily. That's fine and not really the point, if you like the "look" of UE4 renderings then by all means use it!

You cannot do this in UE4 because of the reflection issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWKNAU7jN8

Maxwell render: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnQAiSGFEk

Realize that render engines like Vray and UE4 leave a lot of room for artist manipulation where render engines like Maxwell do not. This is why you see so many different styles in Vray/UE4 vs. Maxwell et al.
                            You may very well be right. I first heard about UE4 at Archdaily.com where Koola's work was presented and perhaps that could be part of my bias. I've seen a lot of computer renderings in my day but when I saw UE4, something seemed to be different.

Comment

I admit that there's something with ue4 lighting that I don't really feel in traditional architecture movies... The lighting feels more ''volumetric'' if I could say but that's probably due to the post-processing in real time vs the post-work you usually have to do in post (photoshop/after effects). In unreal you get that instantly!!! A render straight outta vray/corona usually look very flat and it takes life after the post prod. In unreal it feels alive right off the bat! Also, alot of post effects on tradionnal renderings are faked while in ue4 they feel more physically correct. But that's maybe just me being very bad at post-production hehe!
                              Last edited by heartlessphil; 02-18-2016, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Personally, I think the way UE4 textures look, reflections, glass, chrome, blurry reflections, shadows are not up to speed with other programs and to me that makes the whole thing look less than what I would want. To each is own!

Koola and others have done great things with the software but I still see these things.

Heartlessphil. I think what you see is the clarity of the image in UE4, it comes out very crisp like high rez video, where in other render engines you have to address that in post. I think that is what drew me to learn UE4 to begin with then the limitations became apparent.
                                Last edited by RI3DVIZ; 02-18-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X