Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Licensing and Royalties for packaged Architectural "Games"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Licensing and Royalties for packaged Architectural "Games"

    Hi all

    I've read the licensing policies as well as the custom licensing policies and I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly.

    Can I use UNREAL 4 in this scenario:
    I purchase a subscription plan lets say for example for 3 months so that I can learn the package and put together 1 project which I will build in 3ds Max. The project is for example something that has been commisioned to me by my client of lets say a 2 bedroom apartment. The client wants to be able to walk around in this apartment in realtime. I would then package the project and give it to the client so that he can walk around in this architectural space just like you would walk around in a game.

    So as far as I understand I do not have to pay royalties for something like this and my client don't have to pay any subscription and also no royalties.

    All I pay is the 3 month subscription and all my client pays is whatever I charged him to do the work.

    Is my understanding correct?

    #2
    yup, arch viz is royalty free :-)

    Comment


      #3
      Thats great. Thats why I love Epic. They really awesome.
      http://rag3dviz.com/

      Comment


        #4
        This is a really great opportunity. This epic guys are also crazy!

        Comment


          #5
          but you have to pay once 5% of what the client pays you to epic.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by HardNor View Post
            but you have to pay once 5% of what the client pays you to epic.
            No, you don't. This 5% IS royalty payments.

            From FAQ:
            Are any revenue sources royalty-free?
            No royalties are due on the following:
            ...
            • Ancillary products, including t-shirts, CDs, plushies, action figures and books. The exception is items with embedded data or information, such as QR codes, that affect the operation of the product.
            • Consulting and work-for-hire services using the engine. This applies to architects using the engine to create visualizations as well as consultants receiving a development fee.
            • Linear media, including movies, animated films and cartoons distributed as video.
            • Cabinet-based arcade games and amusement park rides.
            • Truly free games and apps (with no associated revenue).
            SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
            Level design and prototyping for newbies

            Comment


              #7
              oh thanks, i didnt knew that - so everything you did "work-for-hire" is free then? So lets asume the following 2 cases:

              1. i do an interactive technical experience for a client, wich they want to use inhouse and maybe on public events
              2. i do an interactive advertisement experience for a client wich they want to share 4 free to the public on their website

              both free then?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                • Consulting and work-for-hire services using the engine. This applies to architects using the engine to create visualizations as well as consultants receiving a development fee.
                • ...
                • Cabinet-based arcade games and amusement park rides.
                See, I would like some confirmation from staff. My idea was that a sold product = royalties owed. Renders and flythroughs aren't selling the software, so that one's obvious. But if someone is buying a "game" from me that has their architectural visualization as a level, then it feels like I've sold them Epic's software. But I didn't previously notice that part about arcade games, where it is obviously a sold product but still doesn't owe royalties.

                So if I sold an ArchiViz app on the Appstore for $0.99, I owe 5%.
                If I sold the ArchViz app to a client for $10,000, I owe nothing??

                That sounds like a darn good deal, which is why I'm cautious.
                Theia Interactive makes immersive VR experiences in collaboration with the world’s leading companies and creatives, leveraging this bleeding edge technology to pioneer the next generation of entertainment, storytelling, and customer engagement.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by StephaBon View Post
                  See, I would like some confirmation from staff. My idea was that a sold product = royalties owed. Renders and flythroughs aren't selling the software, so that one's obvious. But if someone is buying a "game" from me that has their architectural visualization as a level, then it feels like I've sold them Epic's software. But I didn't previously notice that part about arcade games, where it is obviously a sold product but still doesn't owe royalties.

                  So if I sold an ArchiViz app on the Appstore for $0.99, I owe 5%.
                  If I sold the ArchViz app to a client for $10,000, I owe nothing??

                  That sounds like a darn good deal, which is why I'm cautious.
                  It sounds like a good deal because it is one

                  Note: Your second case is correct if it's a work-for-hire or consulting situation, but if you were selling the same visualization app for $10k each to multiple different companies then I think it might be subject to royalties at that point (but IANAL). When in doubt, the EULA (https://www.unrealengine.com/eula) is the definitive legal&binding agreement, there isn't a separate document later on to execute or anything like that.

                  Cheers,
                  Michael Noland
                  Last edited by Michael Noland; 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM. Reason: added note about eula

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just want to chime in and say that I think this is absolutely awesome. If you ever feel you need to increase the price for arch viz customers, please increase the price in a way that still makes the engine usable for us; meaning, no royalties and no "per customer percentage-something case deal based on what the company makes". Instead just raise the monthly cost or add a specific fee for non-games use or work-for-hire use.

                    Thank you for you awesome engine, Epic!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm sorry if I've mistaken the topic, but i have a similar question.
                      If a studio/company made an application in which client can walk through exterior/interior of a house/building and it is sold once to the client for let say $10k. How much money are obligated to Epic? (10k - 3k)*5% = 350$ ?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X